The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by Grievous »

2004Zilla wrote:
Grievous wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:Not gonna lie, I was really hoping for there to be a Xenomorph egg in the ship. It would have been better than that goofy Predator suit.
No.
Yes, I was.
Were you actually really thinking that at the time?

Because having the Predator race give the human race a Xenomorph in any form
is a fucking -------- idea...especially considering the events of the 2 AVP films...
which I remind you are in continuity with this cinematic abortion that is named
"The Predator"

No special ending the filmmakers could have cooked up would have "fixed" or
"saved" this film. It is a goddamn mess that needs to be forgotten as quickly
as possible.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Grievous wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:
Grievous wrote:
No.
Yes, I was.
Were you actually really thinking that at the time?
Yes.
Grievous wrote:Because having the Predator race give the human race a Xenomorph in any form
is a skreeonking -------- idea...especially considering the events of the 2 AVP films...
which I remind you are in continuity with this cinematic abortion that is named
"The Predator"
Surely not as -------- as Predators trying to fuse themselves with human DNA, having a Predator come down to Earth to warn humanity, only to immediately kill a bunch of soldiers, and weaponized autism? It would have been at the very least a nice callback to the previous films in an already dumb film.
Grievous wrote:No special ending the filmmakers could have cooked up would have "fixed" or
"saved" this film.
Well, a Xenomorph egg would have been pretty badass.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

2004Zilla wrote:Yes.
Wow...

Were you on drugs?
2004Zilla wrote:Surely not as -------- as Predators trying to fuse themselves with human DNA, having a Predator come down to Earth to warn humanity, only to immediately kill a bunch of soldiers, and weaponized autism? It would have been at the very least a nice callback to the previous films in an already dumb film.
Like I've been saying...this entire film is broken.

NOTHING could have fixed it.

And "callbacks" are fucking pathetic in general because for me it shows a lack of creativity on
the filmmakers part.

"I can't create awesome new moments...I have to rehash & reuse moments already seen to
make the audience like my film."

"Callbacks" are lame...

Create.Something.New!

And for your information this is my opinion for every film franchise...including kaiju films.

:thumbsup:
2004Zilla wrote:Well, a Xenomorph egg would have been pretty badass.
Just because its "badass" doesn't mean it gets a free pass as far logic goes.

In fact if that would have been the ending...I still would have stood up, thrown my soda at
the cinema screen & shouted "FUCK OFF!!!" which is exactly what I did when I saw the actual
ending of the Predator causing the other 7 people in the audience to laugh & cheer in agreement.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I am wondering if this would have been a Ripley ancestor, in the same way Lance Henrickson was a forebearer in AvP. Considering this film opperates on the shared universe model, it would make sense for the Ripley family to already be around in this time period. Unless they confirmed it was supposed to be time traveling.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:I am wondering if this would have been a Ripley ancestor, in the same way Lance Henrickson was a fore-bearer in AvP. Considering this film operates on the shared universe model, it would make sense for the Ripley family to already be around in this time period. Unless they confirmed it was supposed to be time traveling.
Could is the keyword...

It doesn't matter what was found in that pod...

Ellen Ripley...
Dutch Schaefer...
A Xenomorph egg...
A Stupid Iron Man suit...
A vat of cold centipede jizz...

it doesn't matter because...

THE.FILM.IS.BROKEN!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Yes, I do get that. I'm just trying to speculate on the thought behind that scene; not trying to suggest it would've saved the film. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:Yes, I do get that. I'm just trying to speculate on the thought behind that scene; not trying to suggest it would've saved the film. :)
Sorry Zarm...

I'm not trying to be nasty...

I just found "The Predator" so offensive that it
actually makes me angry just thinking about it.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Grievous wrote:
Zarm wrote:Yes, I do get that. I'm just trying to speculate on the thought behind that scene; not trying to suggest it would've saved the film. :)
Sorry Zarm...

I'm not trying to be nasty...

I just found "The Predator" so offensive that it
actually makes me angry just thinking about it.
I certainly have movies like that (in fact, there is even a Star Wars movie like that... but I hide it so well, no one on these boards even knows which one it is! ;) ), so I can understand. Sorry it bothered you so much! :(
Last edited by Zarm on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:Sorry it bothered you so much! :(
You don't need to apologize Zarm...

I want an apology from Shane Black.

:evil:

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Grievous wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:Surely not as -------- as Predators trying to fuse themselves with human DNA, having a Predator come down to Earth to warn humanity, only to immediately kill a bunch of soldiers, and weaponized autism? It would have been at the very least a nice callback to the previous films in an already dumb film.
Like I've been saying...this entire film is broken.

NOTHING could have fixed it.

And "callbacks" are skreeonking pathetic in general because for me it shows a lack of creativity on
the filmmakers part.

"I can't create awesome new moments...I have to rehash & reuse moments already seen to
make the audience like my film."

"Callbacks" are lame...

Create.Something.New!

And for your information this is my opinion for every film franchise...including kaiju films.

:thumbsup:
/r/iamverysmart

It's a sequel, genius. Callbacks are supposed to be expected. That's kinda the point of a sequel. Also, I find it very questionable you are complaining about a lack of creativity on a forum dedicated to one of the longest running franchises in film.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Oh man everyone on AVP Galaxy is having a hellava response to that ending.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:See ya guys this is why the Alien and Predator movies just needs to die. If you want to continue them do it in the form of video games and comics.
Kylo Ren has it right. Let old things die. The magic of these franchise is gone. At least in the movies. It's all the wrong people getting their hands on it. I agree maybe Predator franchise needs new blood elsewhere. Maybe a TV series, or video games, I don't know.

It's like putting a pet to sleep because they're old and decrepit. I don't want the Predator series to die. But after this whole.fucking mess, what else can we do?

Ya'll have no idea how bad I wanna go back to the days of AVPR. Badass Wolf Predator killing countless aliens and being awesome.

And I now completely forgive Predators (2010), I had some issues with that, but all is forgiven. We had it pretty good with that one.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:Kylo Ren has it right. Let old things die. The magic of these franchise is gone. At least in the movies. It's all the wrong people getting their hands on it. I agree maybe Predator franchise needs new blood elsewhere. Maybe a TV series, or video games, I don't know.

It's like putting a pet to sleep because they're old and decrepit. I don't want the Predator series to die. But after this whole.skreeonking mess, what else can we do?

Ya'll have no idea how bad I wanna go back to the days of AVPR. Badass Wolf Predator killing countless aliens and being awesome.

And I now completely forgive Predators (2010), I had some issues with that, but all is forgiven. We had it pretty good with that one.
Indeed. There's nothing new to give for the classics. If anything just watch the classics.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:

Honestly, Wolf wasn't that awesome, he was pretty careless all things considered. He goes from destroying evidence of Xenomorphs (only does it once) to killing and skinning some random guy that had no business being killed. It's also Wolf's fault that the infestation got so bad as it did, he could've wiped all of them out in the sewers. Later Wolf kicks down a hospital door and roars...... truly an elite Predator. If he's a hunter why would be make himself known, especially in close quarters?
I don't like nitpicking movies like this, but when the story and characters are complete garbage, it's gets me thinking of why the Aliens and Predators are also weird and make stupid decisions.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

2004Zilla wrote:/r/iamverysmart
I have no idea what this means...so...I guess I'm not that smart?
2004Zilla wrote:It's a sequel, genius. Callbacks are supposed to be expected. That's kinda the point of a sequel.
I know its a sequel...I never said I was genius...

And your idea of a sequel is to just repeat the same ideas/scenes/lines
from the films previous in the series? That is really, really sad.
2004Zilla wrote:Also, I find it very questionable you are complaining about a lack of creativity on a forum dedicated to one of the longest running franchises in film.
I find your condescending attitude & narrow views on sequels very questionable...
so I guess we can call it even?

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maverick Centigrade wrote:

Honestly, Wolf wasn't that awesome, he was pretty careless all things considered. He goes from destroying evidence of Xenomorphs (only does it once) to killing and skinning some random guy that had no business being killed.
I have no idea why he even skinned the guy. He clearly had enough of that blue stuff to melt the body. Why didn't he use it?

It's also Wolf's fault, in context to the film, the movie's so dark after he destroyed that power station. That's the biggest sin in an already shitty movie.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:the movie's so dark after he destroyed that power station. That's the biggest sin in an already shitty movie.
But...Wolf didn't have control of the lighting budget...

:lol:

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Grievous wrote:
GodzillavsZilla wrote:the movie's so dark after he destroyed that power station. That's the biggest sin in an already shitty movie.
But...Wolf didn't have control of the lighting budget...

:lol:
GodzillavsZilla wrote: in context to the film
Though, it would make more sense if a Xenomorph had control of the lighting...
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:Though, it would make more sense if a Xenomorph had control of the lighting...
I now I just have this mental image of a Xenomorph lighting
crew slacking off & smashing all the bulbs & tubes.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Grievous wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:/r/iamverysmart
I have no idea what this means...so...I guess I'm not that smart?
It means you're a doofus for thinking that you're some sort of kinographic God because you can dunk on an already shitty movie. In general, people get a little pissed off when you answer back in a mocking tone that doesn't have any substance. Hopefully that clears everything up.
Grievous wrote:I know its a sequel...I never said I was genius...

And your idea of a sequel is to just repeat the same ideas/scenes/lines
from the films previous in the series? That is really, really sad.
Yeah, I do expect at least some level of consistency between films. When I say that a Xenomorph egg would have been cool to see, I mean that it would have set up a goofy premise that has worked before (i.e. the comics), and it would have allowed Fox a chance to make an actually good Alien vs Predator. But I forgot reboots are below your exquisite taste of le cinéma.
Last edited by Noble Saber on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.