Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by cloverfan98 »

For those of you who are intrested there's a free to play Evangelion game on the Google Play App store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... seas&hl=en

Its in English albeit a broken form but its still readable and playable. Despite it being FTP I've actually managed to get a couple of cool Evas with out spending any real world money. I've managed to get Unit 00, 02, 01, and Berserk Unit 01. You can't get it yet because it seems to be part of some upcoming event but they've added the Godzilla Eva 02 hybrid into the game.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

cloverfan98 wrote:For those of you who are intrested there's a free to play Evangelion game on the Google Play App store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... seas&hl=en

Its in English albeit a broken form but its still readable and playable. Despite it being FTP I've actually managed to get a couple of cool Evas with out spending any real world money. I've managed to get Unit 00, 02, 01, and Berserk Unit 01. You can't get it yet because it seems to be part of some upcoming event but they've added the Godzilla Eva 02 hybrid into the game.
Well, damn. That's sweet as hell.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^^Hmmm, I might have to check that out.

...So, in case no one is looking at the other thread, if you guys are looking for something aesthetically similar to EVA, I have a recommendation for you:

SSSS.GRIDMAN PRODUCTION NOTES 12 AND FINAL IMPRESSIONS
In the same way that the mecha animation has been non-stop nods to Masami Obari – a story with a happy end despite some unexpected friction – Amemiya’s direction has taken countless cues from Anno’s, ultimately using a similar toolset to convey a message that all Evangelion fans will be familiar with. While always feeling like its own thing, SSSS.GRIDMAN felt like a worthy heir of the intangible Gainax spirit, a rare occurrence despite the massive aesthetic influence the studio’s golden age had over other titles.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

So...

Did anyone else find Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo. a giant, brain melting disappointment?
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Grievous wrote:So...

Did anyone else find Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo. a giant, brain melting disappointment?
That describes most of Evangelion on rewatch.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

UltramanGoji wrote:That describes most of Evangelion on rewatch.
Fair call...

My opinion is when its good...its damn good...
but when its bad...it is near anger inducing.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Evangelion is somehow my favourite anime of all time, I love it to bits, and yet I kind of hate all of the characters. Weird, hey?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Evangelion is somehow my favourite anime of all time, I love it to bits, and yet I kind of hate all of the characters. Weird, hey?
Not really...a show can be compelling & intriguing even with unlikeable characters...
especially if the ideas & themes are interesting and the action is dynamic & entertaining.

On a side note...I think Misato is fairly likeable...at least most of the time...but then
that may just be the English voice actress & the character design.

Evangelion is interesting for me because I deliberately ignored it for years only to finally
watch it all in one hit (The series, the "End" film & the Rebuilds) over the course of two
weeks.

I also own the manga which is (IMO) far superior to the anime & Rebuilds...at least
story wise & its overall ending.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Grievous wrote:So...

I actually enjoyed 3.0 the most out of the Rebuild movies. In addition to the outstanding animation and soundtrack, I really felt that the main characters were very well developed. Truth be told, I felt bad for Kaworu in this one, as opposed to the TV series.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

G-Matt wrote: I actually enjoyed 3.0 the most out of the Rebuild movies. In addition to the outstanding animation and soundtrack, I really felt that the main characters were very well developed. Truth be told, I felt bad for Kaworu in this one, as opposed to the TV series.
So you liked it even though the plot makes absolutely no sense?

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Tbh, my main grip with Evangelion 3.0 are the characters
While Kaworu and Shinji are fine, the rest...eh
Most notably, Misato
While I do get and understand where her character comes from, I simply dislike It
Misato is my favourite character in Evangelion, because she was the first one who was legitimitely loving to Shinji, and for no other reason other than her good heart (yeah, by the end of the TV part it may be a lil' weird, but still)
She may be a slob, lazy and all that, but she genuinely cares
Goddamn, she died for him

But NO
Let's make Misato hat Shinji and be a cunt to him, and show no care for him at all
Yes, it's explained and justified, but still feels like a betrayal to her character
It feels like an edgy fanfiction, with betrayal everywhere.

And it's like that with every.single.character
Last edited by Manuelito Canelito on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

ManuJM1997 wrote:Tbh, my main grip with Evangelion 3.0 are the characters
While Kaworu and Shinji are fine, the rest...eh
Most notably, Misato
While I do get and understand where her character comes from, I simply dislike It
For exemple, Misato
Misato is my favourite character in Evangelion, because she was the first one who was legitimitely loving to Shinji, and for no other reason other than her good heart (yeah, by the end of the TV part it may be a lil' weird, but sfull)
She may be a slob, lazy and all that, but she genuinely cares
Goddamn, she died for him

But NO
Let's make Misato hat Shinji and be a vjj to him, and show no care for him at all
Yes, it's explained and justified, but still feels like a betrayal to her character
It feels like an edgy fanfiction, with betrayal everywhere.

And it's like that with every.single.character
Bingo!

Its like all the characters forgot how to communicate...and how did we get from
the end of 2.0 to the start of 3.0? Did we miss an entire "film" or something?

3.0 doesn't explain ANYTHING...and what it does explain makes no sense.
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

To be honest I have not watched any of the rebuild series. I

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I enjoyed 3.0, but it was definitely a jarring watch; clearly, a lot happened while Shinji was asleep, and the world + everyone he know had moved past him. I'm pretty sure 3.0 is about relapse: just as Anno himself reportedly started suffering from depression again in finishing the movie, Shinji is suffering from his past actions on an unreal magnitude. It's a frustrating watch, but I think it's reflective on where the franchise - and the man who primarily created it - has currently ended up.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Who do you think they’ll recast in the alleged Netflix re-dub?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

LegendZilla wrote:Who do you think they’ll recast in the alleged Netflix re-dub?
They should just cast the same voice actors used in Attack On Titan.

;)
Rody wrote:I enjoyed 3.0, but it was definitely a jarring watch; clearly, a lot happened while Shinji was asleep, and the world + everyone he know had moved past him. I'm pretty sure 3.0 is about relapse: just as Anno himself reportedly started suffering from depression again in finishing the movie, Shinji is suffering from his past actions on an unreal magnitude. It's a frustrating watch, but I think it's reflective on where the franchise - and the man who primarily created it - has currently ended up.
Reflective?

Really?

I just find it a beautiful disconnected mess.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Grievous wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Who do you think they’ll recast in the alleged Netflix re-dub?
They should just cast the same voice actors used in Attack On Titan.
They would if Funimation was involved. Unlike Funimation, Netflix is California-based.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

LegendZilla wrote:They would if Funimation was involved. Unlike Funimation, Netflix is California-based.
Oh...I was just kidding...

Although I could hear those voices coming out of those characters.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Grievous wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:They would if Funimation was involved. Unlike Funimation, Netflix is California-based.
Oh...I was just kidding...

Although I could hear those voices coming out of those characters.
Do you think they will get Hollywood talent to voice the characters?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

LegendZilla wrote:Do you think they will get Hollywood talent to voice the characters?
No idea...

Although I'd rather they just hire the best voice actors for the roles
instead of "stunt casting" like Peter Dinklage was in that Destiny game.