Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Yeah, but early draft doesn't equate to what is actually said on screen. If it isn't shown or stated on screen, it's not canon.
Then who did Tommy marry and get his Son with.
Does it really matter though? He was bound to have children at some point anyway.

Plus, I'm assuming you are referring to the comic books, which are their own universe.
Go Go and the main comic are, Soul of the Dragon is TV canon.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

miguelnuva wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Then who did Tommy marry and get his Son with.
Does it really matter though? He was bound to have children at some point anyway.

Plus, I'm assuming you are referring to the comic books, which are their own universe.
Go Go and the main comic are, Soul of the Dragon is TV canon.
I'm tempted to make a joke at the expense of the writers, but this honestly the first time someone brought up Power Rangers and continuity in the same sentence and it actually made sense for me. So, kudos to BOOM comics writers!
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

Syd and Z still remaining in their 5 and 4 positions respectively in Soul of the Dragon while others move up is a bit strange don't you think? Lina Song proved it is possible for girls to move up to Green and Blue so how come Syd and Z are still in their original colors?
Member of the League of Shadows.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Bane wrote:Syd and Z still remaining in their 5 and 4 positions respectively in Soul of the Dragon while others move up is a bit strange don't you think? Lina Song proved it is possible for girls to move up to Green and Blue so how come Syd and Z are still in their original colors?
Someone's
Spoiler:
son
needed to be Green and it was easier to leave them their colors.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

miguelnuva wrote:
Bane wrote:Syd and Z still remaining in their 5 and 4 positions respectively in Soul of the Dragon while others move up is a bit strange don't you think? Lina Song proved it is possible for girls to move up to Green and Blue so how come Syd and Z are still in their original colors?
Someone's
Spoiler:
son
needed to be Green and it was easier to leave them their colors.
Of course, they needed to put that crappy shield on him!
Member of the League of Shadows.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

You know it doesn't matter how much more Power Rangers I watch...the
first "thing" I always think about is how beautiful Amy Jo Johnson was
as Kimberly Hart.

*Sigh*
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

The 21st century kicked off with the 25th Super Sentai series Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger. In this show, our heroes battled evil demons called Orgs by collecting multiple Power Animals that would go on to coin the term "Auxiliary Mecha." How does this blatant toy commercial stack among its predecessors? Watch to find out.

Added in 3 days 9 minutes 49 seconds:
Well I FINALLY had the chance to watch the first four episodes on Disc 2 of Jungle Fury a little bit ago.

Ep 9 was okay. I kind of figured out what the kite's purpose was going to be as soon as I saw they were using the eel monster for this episode. I did love Lily's "Just when I thought the monsters couldn't get any weirder," comment. I'm so using that in my Flashman review for a couple of the monsters that looking kind of... Freudian. I don't get why the bird Overlord dude is called Carnosaurus though. He's a bird, not a dinosaur. Also, they really downplayed that entire tidbit compared to Gekiranger. Oh, and I don't remember if I said this before, but I really hate the motorcycle armor crap they gave Casey. It's just so friggin stupid.

Ep 10 was kind of cool, though I don't like how they rushed through Theo's training. He pretty much learned everything he needed to learn in the span of a half hour. I really wanted to hear Swoop say, "Okay Theo, you need to learn this stuff quick as we only have 8 minutes left." This episode was just way too rushed and the cropping of the Geki footage was atrocious. Some of the worst in the series thus far.

Back to Swoop, I really dig him. He's almost as cool as Bat Li. He's also freaking tall as hell. Speaking of height, I really want to know how Theo goes from being the shortest ranger to the tallest when they morph. That's some major power there. I don't get the memory changing bit between Daishi and the Ghost of Xmas Past though. Daishi is not Jared, he is just possessing Jared, so why would changing Jared's past have any effect on Daishi's power? And if it does, does this mean Jared is actually the one in control and not Daishi? If so, why doesn't he just go by Jared? Is it because he is embarrassed for a possible foot long comparison? :-p

Not really sure what they were going for with the next episode when they crammed three Gekiranger episodes into one. That was completely unnecessary, but at least it kind of worked. I feel like them not having Danica (or whatever her name is) have any sort of relationship with one of the Masters takes away all sense of excitement. I know PR doesn't have to follow the Sentai plots, but one of the things that made these Overlords interesting in Gekiranger was their connection to the masters. Here, they're just mindless villains without an intriguing backstory to set them apart from the norm. Nevertheless, thinking about it, it was a pretty enjoyable episode from Camille's perspective. Lily got way too depressed though.

Finally, we get to meet RJ's dad. That was interesting, though once again, Fin's motivation was weird. He got depressed for one minute because the shark zord got taken over, but is then fine in the next scene. Huh? Regardless, I did like this episode a lot. Of course, how come all of the KUNG FU masters are white? Shouldn't there be some Asian Kung Fu masters in there? That just seems weird that they have all of these techniques from China but none of the maters are actually from China.

With that said, hopefully it doesn't take me another two months to finish the disc. :-)

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

So I have another question for you guys: My dad and I have been Power Rangers fans for the longest time and after some discussion, I'm planning on getting a Shout Factory Sentai DVD set for Father's Day so that I can finally get us both started on Super Sentai. Now I just need to figure out which one to get. What would you guys recommend?
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Power Rangers: Samurai is the best Power Rangers series.

CHANGE MY MIND.

8-)
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Titanoterror98 wrote:So I have another question for you guys: My dad and I have been Power Rangers fans for the longest time and after some discussion, I'm planning on getting a Shout Factory Sentai DVD set for Father's Day so that I can finally get us both started on Super Sentai. Now I just need to figure out which one to get. What would you guys recommend?
Zyuranger.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Power Rangers: Samurai is the best Power Rangers series.

CHANGE MY MIND.

8-)

Added in 53 seconds:
MikeSTZillak wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:So I have another question for you guys: My dad and I have been Power Rangers fans for the longest time and after some discussion, I'm planning on getting a Shout Factory Sentai DVD set for Father's Day so that I can finally get us both started on Super Sentai. Now I just need to figure out which one to get. What would you guys recommend?
Zyuranger.
A very good choice. I was also thinking about Kaku, Mega, and maybe Gao. Thoughts?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

CHANGE MY MIND.

8-)
If you want to play this game how about to tell us why you think something so mediocre at best is the best in franchise?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

CHANGE MY MIND.

8-)

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
Zyuranger.
Zyuranger is a sensible place to start, but if either of you has a particular favorite series from MMPR up through Wild Force, you could also get the Sentai series that was used for that one.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

If you guys are Power Rangers fans, then I would recommend Zyuranger. It'll still evoke some MMPR nostalgia, while still being new, if you catch my drift.

If you're more content on watching something COMPLETELY new, I'd recommend Jetman. My favorite though, without a doubt, is Goranger, though it's not available on DVD here.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Go with Dairanger as it is simply the best Sentai series ever.

Or go with Jetman since that was the first show of the ones Shout! has released.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Wow! Thanks for all the great recommends, you guys!

So, after many deep and profound thoughts inside my head, I have made my choice: I'm gonna go with Zyuranger first, and then try your suggestions when I get ShoutFactory TV or enough money to buy the other DVDs. Whichever comes first.

Thanks again!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Zyuranger up through Timeranger is already free on their website if I'm not mistaken; I don't think you even need an account
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Zyuranger up through Timeranger is already free on their website if I'm not mistaken; I don't think you even need an account
My bad, I meant when I get a FireTV stick AND ShoutFactory! TV. That way I can watch it on TV with my parents instead of trying to squeeze them in around my computer. But thanks for the heads up!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I'm surprised no one has posted, but Hasbro has reveled images for their lightning collection. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrntsg1GcZ4

I love the Lord Zedd and Golder figures. I like we are getting alternate heads and energy/explosion effects. Hoping we get Scorpina eventually.

Hasbro is going to do good with this line. I'm glad they are doing a mix of various characters from different series. I'm mostly going to collect all the rangers from MMPR thru time force plus some dino thunder (just Tommy), SPD (Shadow Ranger), and comic book rangers. As far as villians, pretty much the Rita and Zedd group, the Machine embire, Divatox pirates, In space, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed rescue, time force, Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, and SPD.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.