Poll: World of Godzilla Kaiju Size(s)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

What size should Godzilla have in TOHOs upcoming World of Godzilla Universe?

1. Back to the roots of 1954 meaning 50 meters / 164 feet
23%
2. Heisei series size meaning 80 meters / 262 feet
19%
3. Heisei series 90s meaning 100 meters to 120 meters / 328 feet to 393 feet
51%
4. even taller than Shin Godzilla meaning over 140 meters / 459 feet
6%

Total votes: 78

Gerdzerl

Re: Poll: World of Godzilla Kaiju Size(s)

Post by Gerdzerl »

eabaker wrote:Honestly, even if the movies are in continuity with each other, I don't think the makers of each entry should be expected to keep the monsters at the same scale. In every case, that kind of choice should be made based on the needs of the specific story that team is trying to tell.
For the most part, I agree, but, on the other hand, I honestly don't see the point of having films with different scales be in the same continuity unless there's an in-universe explanation for the size changes. It might be better to just start a whole new continuity entirely if they're not really interested in being consistent with what's previously established. A new continuity would probably give the filmmakers more creative freedom in general, now that I think about it.

Artistic freedom and telling the needs of the story should absolutely be the main priority, by all means, but I just don't understand why someone would make a sequel to something if they're not paying attention to what happened before. It just feels... cheap and/or disingenuous to me, like, they're only making it a sequel for marquee value instead of out of a genuine desire to continue an existing story, I guess? I don't know how else to put it, really. Yeah, I know most folks aren't going to care and/or remember previously established "rules", but, since they probably won't, why make the new thing a sequel to begin with?

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

eabaker wrote:Honestly, even if the movies are in continuity with each other, I don't think the makers of each entry should be expected to keep the monsters at the same scale. In every case, that kind of choice should be made based on the needs of the specific story that team is trying to tell.
If the monsters share a universe together they should stay in size. You can`t Godzllla rise and shrink in every movie. I mean the sense of a shared universe is the continuity. I hope they try something new and let the monsters stay at about 50 m. Therefore they should get superpowers, like more strength, higher invulnerability and more powerful heatrays.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Grimlock#1
Monsterland Worker

Post by Grimlock#1 »

80 to 100 meters would be fine with me, but tbh it would have to depend on the kaiju. For Godzilla I'd like him to be around 100 meters but for a kaiju like Kamacuras or Kumonga I think 60 meters would be alright. Anything around Anime-zilla's height is too ridiculous. It sounds like a neat idea on paper, but when you actually execute it... :? Kinda why I didn't care for City on the Edge of Battle and why I'm not too eager for Planet Eater.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.
"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I personally would like to see 80 meters come back as I feel that scale didn't really get a fare run but I also wont rule out 400 feet. That's still my dream height and Legendary should go up to it.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gailah 1966 wrote:
If the monsters share a universe together they should stay in size. You can`t Godzllla rise and shrink in every movie. I mean the sense of a shared universe is the continuity. I hope they try something new and let the monsters stay at about 50 m. Therefore they should get superpowers, like more strength, higher invulnerability and more powerful heatrays.
The point of a shared universe is the ability to develop themes, storylines and characterization across multiple entries, and to view all of those through different lenses. None of those things will be negatively impacted by changes in secondary details like the height of a monster.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

Maritonic wrote:One thing I personally want is difference in size between kaiju. Have Godzilla remain his size throughout the series, but kaiju like Kamacuras may be smaller, while maybe a behemoth like Biollante would be significantly larger. That's something I definitely want to see continued, maybe even utilized more.
What he said. You could also have Godzilla start out at his original 50 meter size and grow from interactions with the JSDF (nuking him, getting into reactors, etc) or other circumstances. I'd want him to max out at about 120 meters. Anything much more is overkill IMHO. But I don't think keeping him small the entire series would work good for reasons stated previously in this post. However, It wouldn't be a deal breaker. Hell I'm such a huge G-Fan, they could make Godzilla orange or hot pink and I'd still give it a chance! Or even if they did something REALLY crazy like making Ghidorah a phantom like being with each of his heads sticking out of a black hole....oh wait :eh:
Dedicated To Darkness..

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Wow! It`s interessting to see that most people want to see a size between 100 and 120 meters. Heisei still rules huh?
But to my surprise the second highest "wish size" is 50 meters. Back to the roots. They could play hide and seek in Tokyo :P

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

80's is right for me. not to big, not to small, just right.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Big enough for the series intent. Example: you want a Godzilla that can have a closer relationship with humans, go 50 meters. You want an imposing Godzilla, go 100 or more. Whatever this universe needs.

I'm going with 80 meters because that was a nice scale while we had it.

RIP Evan.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I don't really care how big Godzilla is...

As long as the films are good.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Kaiju doesn't need to be that big. I will always prefer 50m tall kaiju, specially Godzilla.

The only instances I accept +100m kaiju is Mothra, or if the plot has an explanation for it (Shin mutated a lot to be able to live on land (and even then he evolves one last time to become smaller), Earth kept growing for 20,000 years when he was originally 50m, etc.).
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Grievous wrote:I don't really care how big Godzilla is...

As long as the films are good.
So 2 meters would be enough? :D

(Shin Godzillas last form was a 2 or 3 meter humanoid... :dizzy: )

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Gailah 1966 wrote:So 2 meters would be enough? :D
Well...I seem to remember a Godzilla who started as a 2 meter tall dinosaur.

I was okay with that.

;)
Gailah 1966 wrote:(Shin Godzillas last form was a 2 or 3 meter humanoid... :dizzy: )
Look...I'm an open minded guy & I don't have a problem with any "version"
of Godzilla (besides the Glass Iguana from 98...which I don't even really
count) BUT...the idea of Shin Godzilla "breaking down" or "splitting" into
those multiple "humanoid" forms MAY have been taking the character a
step too far.

MAY.
Last edited by Grievous on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I’d love to see a more intimate scaling with Godzilla again, so around 50-60 meters gets my vote. I’m all for bigger incarnations (80 meters has always been my sweet spot), but there does reach a point where Godzilla can get too big to really have any meaningful interactions with human characters. Make him 50 meters or a bit bigger, have a movie be set in an exaggerated Feudal Japan time period, with villages and the like, and have our favorite radioactive lizard friend represent an evil, mythical creature or spirit who is meant to scare children and adults alike.

Give me that kind of Godzilla movie, and you’ll acquire all of my funds, Toho.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzilla165 wrote:I’d love to see a more intimate scaling with Godzilla again, so around 50-60 meters gets my vote. I’m all for bigger incarnations (80 meters has always been my sweet spot), but there does reach a point where Godzilla can get too big to really have any meaningful interactions with human characters. Make him 50 meters or a bit bigger, have a movie be set in an exaggerated Feudal Japan time period, with villages and the like, and have our favorite radioactive lizard friend represent an evil, mythical creature or spirit who is meant to scare children and adults alike.

Give me that kind of Godzilla movie, and you’ll acquire all of my funds, Toho.
I'm pretty sure I suggested this in another thread...

*Looks around for a minute*

Found it!
Now...as far as my own ideas go...well...

I'd love to see a Godzilla film set during the Sengoku Period...perhaps
over the course of several major battles from that time.

We could follow the story from the point of view of Nobunaga Oda, Hideyoshi Toyotomi &
Leyasu Tokugawa as Japan is unified...and have a smaller, non-nuclear powered version of
Godzilla (he still breathes fire of course) show up during the Battles of:
Okehazama (The Oda clan discover & bait Godzilla into attacking which leads to their victory)
Nagashino (in which Godzilla destroys (and eats!) the Takeda Cavalry again leading to another victory for the Oda Clan)
Honnō-ji (in which Godzilla burns the temple to ashes while Mitsuhide duels with Nobunaga)
Odawara (in which Hideyoshi lures Godzilla to attack the Hojo clan & lay waste to Odawara castle)
Sekigahara (in which Godzilla turns on both armies but the Eastern Army eventually claims victory)
& finally
Osaka (& which finally leaves the Tokugawa in power as Godzilla returns to the sea)

Basically...I love the Kurosawa film Kagemusha...and I want to see an undated version that...
but with Godzilla in it.

It would basically be a celebration of the Kaiju & Samurai films Toho has made in the past...basically
a Historical War drama...with Godzilla in it.

Is that idea "weird" enough?
:thumbsup:

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ It would just fit so beautifully with a character like Godzilla, imo. A story like that would be fresh, unique and take the series to a place, both physically and metaphorically, that it’s never really been before. Imagine armies fighting this enormous, unknown sea creature whom bears striking resemblance to the mythical and legendary beasts/demons that strike fear in all of Japan. And, they’re using newly developing technologies such as crude cannons, arrows, javelins etc., in an attempt to kill this thing.

Godzilla could even still be radioactive as a result of feeding off of the Earth’s natural stores ala, Legendary, and that could be another crisis that our human characters would have to deal with. They wouldn’t know what the hell this invisible poison that’s infecting their land and killing their citizens is, and that could introduce an entirely new and different dynamic in terms of drama and growing paranoia.

Ugh, give me a bloody movie like this already, Toho!

#BotM

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Would you be open to more time travel?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:^Would you be open to more time travel?
After Godzilla vs King Ghidorah having a horrible explanation of time travel, I'd rather not unless they get a writer who knows what they're doing.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
After Godzilla vs King Ghidorah having a horrible explanation of time travel, I'd rather not unless they get a writer who knows what they're doing.
Time travel’s the only way I can see justifying Godzilla showing up in Feudal Japan.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Time travel’s the only way I can see justifying Godzilla showing up in Feudal Japan.
Not if they go the Legendary route and have Godzilla as an ancient creature who's been alive for millenia.

RIP Evan.