Celebrating 100 years of The Ghost Of Slumber Mountain.

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Rhedosaurus
Yin-Yang Master

Celebrating 100 years of The Ghost Of Slumber Mountain.

Postby Rhedosaurus » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:59 pm

As the title says, this is to celebrate 100 years of The Ghost Of Slumber Mountain.

Without this movie, there would be no 1925 version of The Lost World (and STILL the best movie adaptation of the novel), no King Kong, no The Beast Of 20,000 Fathoms, and no Godzilla and no Jurassic Park.

In other words, with this movie, this site wouldn't be here let alone Godzilla or his friends and foes.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Re: Celebrating 100 years of The Ghost Of Slumber Mountain.

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Awesome. I love how that old poster even mentions 'giant monsters'.

Mr. Yellow
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Mr. Yellow » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Just watched this recently as a matter of fact. Such a shame reels from this and other early O’Brien stuff is missing. Definitely a lost gem.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Rhedosaurus
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:46 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:Awesome. I love how that old poster even mentions 'giant monsters'.

Indeed, it's interesting that these we the first 'giant monsters' yet they were still depicted quite like animals The original 1925 movie version of The Lost World-which after all this time is STILL the best movie adaptation-was like that as well.

Mr. Yellow wrote:Just watched this recently as a matter of fact. Such a shame reels from this and other early O’Brien stuff is missing. Definitely a lost gem.

I don't disagree that it's a shame that so much was lost. But that doesn't mean that we can't still treasure what we have. :D

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:13 pm

I wouldn't credit this old flick with THAT much. The original King Kong would've gotten made whether this thing existed or not...

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:22 pm

MandaSaurus wrote:I wouldn't credit this old flick with THAT much. The original King Kong would've gotten made whether this thing existed or not...

It did give Willis O’Brien his start, who did the effects on Kong. So that’s a pretty direct connection.

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:51 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:I wouldn't credit this old flick with THAT much. The original King Kong would've gotten made whether this thing existed or not...

It did give Willis O’Brien his start, who did the effects on Kong. So that’s a pretty direct connection.

If this film hadn't come along, another one would've, and Willis O'Brien would have got his start on that one...

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:56 pm

MandaSaurus wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:

If this film hadn't come along, another one would've, and Willis O'Brien would have got his start on that one...

Well sure maybe, but it was this one that came along, you know what I mean?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:55 pm

^The Dinosaur and the Missing Link came out two years prior.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:45 am

Whats with that Triceratops in the movie poster? He looks like he had a little too much Jurassic Juice (if you know what I mean).

Also its a shame that Herbert Dawley cut out a lot of O'Bies work after the initial screening. The theatrical version of the film is much longer than the preview screening print due to all the removed footage. If I recall correctly I think he even took O'Bies name off of the credits.

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Whats with that Triceratops in the movie poster? He looks like he had a little too much Jurassic Juice (if you know what I mean).

Also its a shame that Herbert Dawley cut out a lot of O'Bies work after the initial screening. The theatrical version of the film is much longer than the preview screening print due to all the removed footage. If I recall correctly I think he even took O'Bies name off of the credits.

That's a shame. No way to treat the man who was mentor to the great Ray Harryhausen...

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:59 am

No, it very well may not have.

You need to always keep in mind that every event in history is the result of a series of events leading up to it, many often coincidental or the result of pure chance. In the case of Kong, the character was ultimately inspired by a dream Merian C. Cooper had had. Would Cooper have even had such a dream in a world without Ghost of Slumber Mountain being made? And even if he did, there's no reason to assume a film anything like our King Kong would've been made as a result, because the history of dinosaurs and giant monsters in film will have been irrevocably altered.

MandaSaurus wrote:If this film hadn't come along, another one would've, and Willis O'Brien would have got his start on that one...

No, no, you misunderstand: it NEEDED to be this film.

1925's The Lost World was only made when it was and how it was because the previous attempt at a movie adaptation had just gone belly up and the man who ultimately produced the film only decided to buy the rights after seeing The Ghost of Slumber Mountain, having concluded that Willis O'Brien's skills and techniques would be perfect to bring the dinosaurs to life. Without that exact sequence, either the film isn't adapted at all or someone else picks up the rights, leading to the original plan: bringing the dinosaurs to life with costumed lizards.

Might O'Brien have made another film instead eventually? Sure. Would it have led to him being discovered and the sequence of events that led to the creation of Kong and all the rest? Probably not, no.

Our timeline was never inevitable, it's just the one we happen to live in.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:05 am

Pkmatrix wrote:In the case of Kong, the character was ultimately inspired by a dream Merian C. Cooper had had. Would Cooper have even had such a dream in a world without Ghost of Slumber Mountain being made?

No Cooper wasn't inspired to make King Kong because of a dream. I tell you that is the problem with alot of books. When a book spouts misinformation other authors will cite that as fact. I have a plethora of books and periodicals about Kong and O'Bie and Cooper and only one said that he
had a dream about a giant ape attacking New York. Just like one book states that a scene of King Kong fighting a giant spider was cut from the movie after its initial screening(!!)

No, the fact was when King Kong was completed, it ran 13 reels. Cooper had a phobia about the number 13 and wanted to film another reel of footage to pad the movie out to 14 reels. He had a dream that Kong was destroying the noisy El-Train near his office and that is what gave him the idea to film that sequence (which was never in the original script). That was the only connection between Kong and a dream.

Cooper influences came from Paul Du Challu and Douglas Burden. And Kong fighting giant reptiles came from reading about Burden's adventures in Komondo and his encounters with the Komondo Dragons. The Komondo Dragons simply became Dinosaurs thanks to all the Dinosaur models that had been built for Creation by the time Cooper got to RKO. So I think this film have no input on Cooper's desire to make a film about a giant terror gorilla.

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:00 am

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:In the case of Kong, the character was ultimately inspired by a dream Merian C. Cooper had had. Would Cooper have even had such a dream in a world without Ghost of Slumber Mountain being made?

No Cooper wasn't inspired to make King Kong because of a dream. I tell you that is the problem with alot of books. When a book spouts misinformation other authors will cite that as fact. I have a plethora of books and periodicals about Kong and O'Bie and Cooper and only one said that he
had a dream about a giant ape attacking New York. Just like one book states that a scene of King Kong fighting a giant spider was cut from the movie after its initial screening(!!)

No, the fact was when King Kong was completed, it ran 13 reels. Cooper had a phobia about the number 13 and wanted to film another reel of footage to pad the movie out to 14 reels. He had a dream that Kong was destroying the noisy El-Train near his office and that is what gave him the idea to film that sequence (which was never in the original script). That was the only connection between Kong and a dream.

Cooper influences came from Paul Du Challu and Douglas Burden. And Kong fighting giant reptiles came from reading about Burden's adventures in Komondo and his encounters with the Komondo Dragons. The Komondo Dragons simply became Dinosaurs thanks to all the Dinosaur models that had been built for Creation by the time Cooper got to RKO. So I think this film have no input on Cooper's desire to make a film about a giant terror gorilla.

Oh?

Okay, yeah, I've not heard that before. I'd only ever heard the dream story. Even still, that kinda still backs up my point: without Slumber Mountain there wouldn't have been The Lost World as we know it, and without The Lost World there likely wouldn't have been Creation. So while a King Kong movie MAY have been made, it would look very different from the movie we are all familiar with and there's no guarantee this alternate Kong would've been anywhere near as much of an influence as the real Kong turned out to be.

Hell, when all is said and done, this alternate Kong might not even BE a giant!

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:28 am

Pkmatrix wrote:Hell, when all is said and done, this alternate Kong might not even BE a giant!

You know Coops said that he made Kong a giant because he wanted him to be big enough to fight warplanes on a building. He came up with the ending to his story before the middle and beginning. He heard a plane flying overhead as he was leaving his New York office and saw it flying over the New York Insurance Building. He then had a vision of his "terror gorilla" on top of the building fighting warplanes so he had to make the gorilla giant in order to be seen from ground level and be enough of a match for the planes.

But to be honest with you. I really think it was "The Gorilla" that inspired the giant-ism. The Gorilla is a now lost 1930 film about a guy in a gorilla suit committing crimes. At first people think that its an actual gorilla committing murders but it turns out to have a "Scooby Doo" ending in that its a man in a suit. Well anyway in a promo video you see the Gorilla giant sized. It was to show that the Gorilla was so terrifying that it had sway over the city.

Since Cooper was fascinated by gorillas its not a stretch to think he saw that film and that's what inspired him to make his terror gorilla gigantic. He envisioned his terror gorilla in 1929 and it was around 1930 that he began to refer to it as a "giant terror gorilla".

Return to “Monster Manor”