Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla would've been really great if Akane's character was more developed, her relationship with Sarah was further expanded on, and Godzilla's motivations were explained here rather then in the sequel. Godzilla literally pops out of nowhere whenever he's needed, with barely any purpose or goal besides wanting to destroy cities. It would've been different if he was on a continous rampage like in the early Showa films or Shin. Not too mention expanding on the threat of Kiryu going rogue at any moment.

Obviously, expanding the runtime would've been a better choice or rewriting some scenes.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla would've been really great if Akane's character was more developed, her relationship with Sarah was further expanded on, and Godzilla's motivations were explained here rather then in the sequel.
Bingo!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla would've been really great if Akane's character was more developed, her relationship with Sarah was further expanded on, and Godzilla's motivations were explained here rather then in the sequel. Godzilla literally pops out of nowhere whenever he's needed, with barely any purpose or goal besides wanting to destroy cities. It would've been different if he was on a continous rampage like in the early Showa films or Shin. Not too mention expanding on the threat of Kiryu going rogue at any moment.

Obviously, expanding the runtime would've been a better choice or rewriting some scenes.
Very true, I enjoy it a lot but I think it gets a lot of unwarranted praise sometimes.

At the very least, it's way, way better than it's sequel.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:At the very least, it's way, way better than it's sequel.
And so, once again, this board provides us with the very definition of damning with faint praise.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
And so, once again, this board provides us with the very definition of damning with faint praise.
You’re alive!!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
You’re alive!!
Yup, just needed some time to chill out. Also, work was absolutely insane for a couple of weeks there, and I couldn't even break away to eat at times, much less get into nit-picky debates online.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
You’re alive!!
Yup, just needed some time to chill out. Also, work was absolutely insane for a couple of weeks there, and I couldn't even break away to eat at times, much less get into nit-picky debates online.
Fair enough! Glad you’re back though.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote: And so, once again, this board provides us with the very definition of damning with faint praise.
You Bastard! I was about to post if anyone has heard from you. You leave and just show up like as if nothing happened....? The fucking balls on you. :cry: , Im just glad your back...*hugs you tight*....*moves away and slaps you*.....*hugs you again*....dont ever leave again without saying where your going....the kids here on TK and I were worried.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote: And so, once again, this board provides us with the very definition of damning with faint praise.
You Bastard! I was about to post if anyone has heard from you. You leave and just show up like as if nothing happened....? The fucking balls on you. :cry: , Im just glad your back...*hugs you tight*....*moves away and slaps you*.....*hugs you again*....dont ever leave again without saying where your going....the kids here on TK and I were worried.
Sorry to scare you like that, buddy!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Do you guys need a moment? Or a private room?

:P

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:
You Bastard! I was about to post if anyone has heard from you. You leave and just show up like as if nothing happened....? The skreeonking balls on you. :cry: , Im just glad your back...*hugs you tight*....*moves away and slaps you*.....*hugs you again*....dont ever leave again without saying where your going....the kids here on TK and I were worried.
It's just how we all feel, Mr. Spock...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:
You Bastard! I was about to post if anyone has heard from you. You leave and just show up like as if nothing happened....? The skreeonking balls on you. :cry: , Im just glad your back...*hugs you tight*....*moves away and slaps you*.....*hugs you again*....dont ever leave again without saying where your going....the kids here on TK and I were worried.
This simple feeling is beyond V'ger's comprehension.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Eabaker Unit!
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:
This simple feeling is beyond V'ger's comprehension.
And there it is :huge: ..Me not knowing WTF your talking about....yay day made.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Say hi to William Decker for me.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

In some regards I prefer suitmation to stop-motion. Well-executed suitmation looks better in my opinion in part because the motions are real (albeit often slowed down in kaiju films) instead of the illusion of movement given by stop-motion, which even at it’s best looks a bit unnatural and “jerky.”
Last edited by G2000 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

G2000 wrote:In some regards I prefer suitmation to stop-motion. Well-executed suitmation looks better in my opinion in part because the motions are real (albeit often slowed down in kaiju films) instead of the illusion of movement given by stop-motion, which even at it’s best looks a bit unnatural and “jerky.”
I prefer "suitmation" to "stop-motion" BUT...stop-motion has
its own appeal...at least it does to me...and I think the jerky,
unnatural movement adds a certain charm to it.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Stop motion is really impressive on a technical level but they're both equally artificial on screen so I never really got the flack suit-mation got over the other. Doubt anybody really bought clay skeletons over a dude in a rubber suit past childhood.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I prefer practical FX like suit-matation and stop motion than CGI. I just love those mediums much better as they convey much more emotion and skill....(Not taking away from CGI creators as Im sure those can be really difficult to pull off as well)....Just that I grew up with those movie art effects.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm fine with any of those mediums as long as they look good. If an effect has to look distractingly obvious/bad, though, I'll take a bad physical suit/prop over bad CGI.

Where kaiju are concerned, suitmation IS their medium all the way. The other mediums can and do pull them off well, but traditional kaiju are simply meant to be suits. The suit look is just what they're supposed to look like, and anything else is an outlier.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio