If you had just one film...

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: If you had just one film...

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

If we’re going with non-Godzilla, probably Frankenstein Conquers The World or War of the Gargantuas
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

For non-Godzilla picks I would definitely go with Rodan '56. It's my favorite daikaiju movie of all time.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

KillCrites wrote:For non-Godzilla picks I would definitely go with Rodan '56. It's my favorite daikaiju movie of all time.
I 2nd this. Aside from "Gojira", "Rodan" is probably one of my favorite of Toho's "solo" kaiju movies.

I love the horror like beginning with the Meganulons, and the miniature work (along with the Rodan suit) is fantastic. The score is pretty great too imo.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's a tough call, but I find that Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster is probably the one I rewatch most often, and it has yet to get remotely old. You get a lot of bang for your buck with that one, with four prominently-featured monsters and some fantastic interaction between them, two major battles, a high-end destruction sequence, one of the best human stories in the franchise, and a typically great Ifukube score.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla 74

It never fails to entertain me...the score is funky, the
kaiju fights are great, the overall story is solid & most
of all...its just fun.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Either Gojira or G'14

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

There's a strange lack of Godzilla Raids Again and Megaguirus on this list... ;)

...To answer my own question, it would have to be Godzilla vs. Biollante for me. I find enough variety in set-pieces and tone to keep this endlessly watchable, and I dig the score and effects as well.

(You know, it seems like we could pretty much just buy one box set and ship out the discs to individual islands. It divides pretty evenly; just a little bit of fighting over a few of the early entries. :) )
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:There's a strange lack of Godzilla Raids Again and Megaguirus on this list... ;)

...To answer my own question, it would have to be Godzilla vs. Biollante for me. I find enough variety in set-pieces and tone to keep this endlessly watchable, and I dig the score and effects as well.
Agreed 100% on Godzilla Raids Again. I will forever wave that film's flag.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Well, I mean, I was mostly joking because I don't think those two are much of anyone's favorite film...

...But I do like that one as well. It gets an unfair bad rap.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

mikkelkasper
Young Farmer

Post by mikkelkasper »

Zarm wrote:So, you're lost on that bizarre desert island that always appears in hypothetical questions, which somehow possesses all the necessities for living, including electricity and a DVD player, so that your only concern is how to entertain yourself. And you can only have one Godzilla film with you; the only Godzilla film you'll ever be able to watch for the foreseeable rest of your life. Which one would you pick? Does your favorite film have the rewatch value you'd need? Would a Shin or Hedorah- one of the artsy ones- be the best option so there are many layers to dissect? Or perhaps more of a guilty pleasure/popcorn flick entry, to get the brainless fun factor that would hopefully not diminish with familiarity?

Which would it be?
This is quite hard man!! most of the Godzilla films are interesting to watch, but i would definitely pick Godzilla vs Megalon..
It is such a thriller.. would watch it all day all night.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

If distributed films are allowed, I'd say Gamera 2. I never grow tire of the military and Gamera teaming up to take down a threat neither can on their own.

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

I have never been able to decide between which one is my fav Godzilla movie in the franchise. Either Gojira '54 or Godzilla: Final Wars. I can't really choose between those two. Therefore, if I was on a island under those conditions, and have to pick between the two, I'd rather lose them both and play them in my head instead.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I'll have to split this into two answers because so many Godzilla films (mainly Showa) are endlessly entertaining to me.

If I have to go with a more serious pick, then I'll go with Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster. It has some of the best things you could want from a Godzilla flick: Monster brawls, an Ifukube Godzilla score, a good story, and entertaining special effects.

If it's a more nostalgic/goofy pick then it'll be Godzilla VS Megalon. I could watch this film and poke fun at it over and over again.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

Wow this is tough! But the 3 contenders would be Return Of Godzilla(it was my first G movie and just has so much emotiom attached to it) Ghidrah The Three Headed Monster(as previously stated it has 3 top tier Kaiju and has great rewatch value) and finally Final Wars(far from my favorite but it has almost all the best Kaiju and is very rewatchable as well). While G54' may be the best, It wouldn't be my pick as the only G movie I could watch somewhere for an extended period. So it would be one of those three or GMK now that I think about it and for the same reasons as GTTHM.
Dedicated To Darkness..

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Nothing tops the original.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

The only problem with the original is it’s so heavy and dramatic I couldn’t watch it over and over again. If I were to pick only one, it would have to be one with the best, personally, rewatachability. For me that’s DAM.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Living Corpse wrote:If distributed films are allowed, I'd say Gamera 2. I never grow tire of the military and Gamera teaming up to take down a threat neither can on their own.
This would be my non-Toho pick.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Mechagodzilla '74. No contest.

Like I've said many times, it was the first one I saw, so it'll always be the most important one to me.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

G-Matt wrote:Mechagodzilla '74. No contest.

Like I've said many times, it was the first one I saw, so it'll always be the most important one to me.
Hear Hear!

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Astro-Monster, easy.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking