Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Toho Sci-Fi Films you haven't seen

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Dr. Professor wrote:I've owned a copy of Atragon for months now and still haven't watched it. I've been waiting for my brother to come over to watch it with him (he loves Manda) but he hasn't had the time. -_-
If he's in it for Manda alone, he'll be disappointed. But the movie itself is fantastic, watch it ASAP.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:I've owned a copy of Atragon for months now and still haven't watched it. I've been waiting for my brother to come over to watch it with him (he loves Manda) but he hasn't had the time. -_-
If he's in it for Manda alone, he'll be disappointed. But the movie itself is fantastic, watch it ASAP.
I've told him before that Manda's only a small part of the film, so he should be good, haha. Yeah, I'm very intrigued by the premise of it so I'm excited to finally get around to watching it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I own the Toho Sci-Fi three pack DVD with Mothra on it, but I still haven't watched the other films on the set (Battle in Outer Space, and The H-Man) yet.

I should probably get on that.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojiDog wrote:I own the Toho Sci-Fi three pack DVD with Mothra on it, but I still haven't watched the other films on the set (Battle in Outer Space, and The H-Man) yet.

I should probably get on that.
For sure. Battle isn't a great movie, but the effects sequences are pretty stunning. H-Man comes a lot closer to greatness, at times establishing the same kind of atmosphere Honda would later use in Matango. And Masaru Sato's main theme for H-Man is awesome.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

H-Man is pretty good, would have been great if it weren't for the dreadful exposition scenes with the frog and the slow car chase. There's lots of wonderful atmospheric moments and some dynamic staging. I really love the noir-ish look Honda achieved with his camera man and production design crew.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I've yet to catch Gorath. Or The Human Vapor. I've heard really good things about both of them
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

The Secret Of The Telegian is the big one for me...
& I've heard its really good.

I'm lucky enough to have seen most of the other Toho Sci-Fi
films from that era...including The Human Vapor...which is
in my opinion an underrated classic.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Grievous wrote:The Secret Of The Telegian is the big one for me...
& I've heard its really good.

I'm lucky enough to have seen most of the other Toho Sci-Fi
films from that era...including The Human Vapor...which is
in my opinion an underrated classic.
Telegian for me was a bit boring and predictable. But still if you love that classic Toho era feel you need to pick it up
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzilla21 wrote:Telegian for me was a bit boring and predictable. But still if you love that classic Toho era feel you need to pick it up
Is it actually available on a legitimate DVD with English subtitles?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Grievous wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Telegian for me was a bit boring and predictable. But still if you love that classic Toho era feel you need to pick it up
Is it actually available on a legitimate DVD with English subtitles?
I dont think so. Mine is a boot but it's from the best boot company out there. PM me if interested
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzilla21 wrote:I don't think so. Mine is a boot but it's from the best boot company out there. PM me if interested

*Sends PM*

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

- Matango
- The Mysterians
- Destroy All Monsters (somehow)
- Gunhed

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I've yet to catch Gorath. Or The Human Vapor. I've heard really good things about both of them
Gorath has a good first ten or so minutes but it's pretty boring. Just watch The Human Vapor. It's a terribly under-appreciated classic in the west.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

I am proud to say I have seen every single Sci-Fi film from Toho made from 1954 to 1984. These include lesser-known titles like ''Monkey Sun'' (1959), ''Konto 55: Grand Outer Space Adventure'' (1969) and ''The Phoenix'' (1978).
While the ''Sci-Fi Movie Listing'' on the main website is not perfect and would need an update, I watched everything that has something to do with fantasy/science-fiction.
I do have to catch up on their war movies though.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Pretty sure the only ones I haven’t seen are Half-Human, Japanese cut of Gorath, and Prophesies of Nostradamus.

Added in 3 minutes 56 seconds:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I've yet to catch Gorath. Or The Human Vapor. I've heard really good things about both of them
Gorath has a good first ten or so minutes but it's pretty boring. Just watch The Human Vapor. It's a terribly under-appreciated classic in the west.
AH-GREED! I’m almost disgusted there’s not more discussion going on about The Human Vapor around these parts, that movie has to be the most underrated Toho Sci-Fi flick just for being as good as it is.
It’s really on an entirely separate bar, true class.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking