GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by Grievous »

So...

Has anyone else noticed how LONG & BORING this film is?

Like forgetting all the other problems with this film...its
just kind of limited in scope...especially considering this
crew made Independence Day two years earlier...and while
that film is dumb as hell...at least its entertaining.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The first time I noticed how boring it was was during the Rifftrax Live show. Even they couldn’t save it. That was probably five years ago and I haven’t given it another chance since.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's always kept me entertained just fine...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote:It's always kept me entertained just fine...
It used to entertain me too.

Saw it opening weekend in ‘98 and thought it was pretty boring. Like Grievous said, it’s really long, and I wasn’t able to stay focused through the whole movie as a kid. When it hit video I liked it a lot more but once G2K came out and there were new Toho movies to watch instead I stopped watching it. It was also trendy not to like it in the early 2000s. I got involved in the Godzilla community and saw others hated it, so I did too. But now I hate it for my own reasons. :mrgreen:

I’ve tried giving it a lot of chances. It doesn’t work for me. I don’t like those bloated ‘90s blockbusters and that’s exactly what this is. And on top of that it’s barely what I’d consider a “Godzilla movie.” And as I said even Rifftrax couldn’t give me a version I’d enjoy.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

It's weird. Like Terasawa said, I've given it so many chances. I'd say this is the only film in the franchise that I will repeatedly go "okay, maybe it's really not as bad as I remember. Let me give it another chance" almost regularly. And every time be disappointed.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Oh, I'll never say it isn't bad. It's fucking terrible. :lol: But it does have its cool moments here and there, and I have no problem enjoying it as dumb fun. I can absolutely see why anyone would find it boring, though. It isn't particularly good at making the viewer care about any of the characters.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Terasawa wrote:The first time I noticed how boring it was was during the Rifftrax Live show. Even they couldn’t save it. That was probably five years ago and I haven’t given it another chance since.
Nice work...
JAGzilla wrote:It's always kept me entertained just fine...
Yeah...but Battlefield Earth keeps me entertained.
Maritonic wrote:It's weird. Like Terasawa said, I've given it so many chances. I'd say this is the only film in the franchise that I will repeatedly go "okay, maybe it's really not as bad as I remember. Let me give it another chance" almost regularly. And every time be disappointed.
Its the Gift...that never Gives you anything.
JAGzilla wrote:It isn't particularly good at making the viewer care about any of the characters.
I cared about Audrey in that one scene when she was sucking on a lollipop.

That's about it really.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Grievous wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:It isn't particularly good at making the viewer care about any of the characters.
I cared about Audrey in that one scene when she was sucking on a lollipop.

That's about it really.
I like your style.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I like your style.
:thumbsup:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Real talk, I'm actually kinda glad Godzilla 1998 got made. Movie failed on nearly every level but it helped the franchise by giving a standard future films had to avoid and pushing Toho to start the Millenium era to try and fix the mistake. Kind of like how X Men Orgins blew but people wanting to do better gave us the Deadpool films.
That’s kinda like someone being glad they got HIV or cancer, so as long as they survived and enduring it paid off in the most exponential way possible.

On the bright side of if the Debont film got made, we would’ve got an even better animated TV tie-in, based how much the actual Godzilla : The Series was an improvement over the movie that inspired it. That’s one good thing that could’ve come out of a timeline with the Debont film rather than the Emmerich one.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:01 am, edited 5 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Real talk, I'm actually kinda glad Godzilla 1998 got made. Movie failed on nearly every level but it helped the franchise by giving a standard future films had to avoid and pushing Toho to start the Millenium era to try and fix the mistake. Kind of like how X Men Orgins blew but people wanting to do better gave us the Deadpool films.
That’s kinda like someone being glad they got HIV or cancer, so as long as they survived and enduring it paid off in the most exponential way possible.
Did you actually just compare an awful painful disease that kills people and has ruined entire families to a fucking 90s blockbuster?

I can't. I honestly can't with you anymore.

RIP Evan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:

On the bright side of if the Debont film got made, we would’ve got an even better animated TV tie-in, based how much the actual Godzilla : The Series was an improvement over the movie that inspired it. That’s one good thing that could’ve come out of a timeline with the Debont film rather than the Emmerich one.
This one takes the cake.
Legend, please just stop with these awful analogies that are nothing but grasping at straws.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Swear to god he’s trolling :lol:

Anyway, anyone else surprised they’re selling G98 merch again? I don’t even like G98 that much but I think it’s pretty cool.

I also scoff anytime I hear someone praise the Series, it was far from an improvement, just because they gave him atomic breath and made him fight monsters doesn’t make it a good show.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

PitchBlackProgress wrote: I also scoff anytime I hear someone praise the Series, it was far from an improvement, just because they gave him atomic breath and made him fight monsters doesn’t make it a good show.
Why are you so insecure about people liking things? lol "I scoff at people who praise something they enjoy" like really dude? :lol:

It wasn't a phenomenal show but it was a fun Saturday morning action romp. It was a far better improvement over the film just because of the characters alone. They're much more enjoyable in the show than they were in the movie. And the new ones they added were also a lot of fun too.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Yeah, when people hype the Series up as some amazing cartoon, I scoff, because it was far from it and that’s why it rots in obscurity today :lol:

I bought the series a while back and binge watched it all and was left wanting more than what I got. I feel like the only reason it gets any praise (besides by general G98 fans) is because they hated the film so much they’re only grasping at anything to mentally “redeem” it for themselves.

The series is monotonous and the characters are pretty bland. I don’t understand how atomic breath and monster fights make it a good show
I’d rather watch the movie any day lol
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Yeah, the show is little more than some cool monster action. Which is fine, it's a Saturday morning cartoon that serves as a movie tie-in. Its ok entertainment but all of the hyperbolic praise it gets is silly. Yay, they made Godzilla shoot fire, 10/10! Most of the Godzilla franchise ranges from garbage to decent, so I guess praising painfully average media is to be expected.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I really don't know where you guys are hearing this "10/10" praise from. I think the only people who think it's a masterpiece are the people with some variant of "Godzilla 1998" or "Zilla" in their name.

Most other fans I talk to think it's just a fun Saturday morning cartoon and nothing more. And TBH, if we're talking about Sony cartoons, the Men In Black one was a lot better IMO.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

UltramanGoji wrote:And TBH, if we're talking about Sony cartoons, the Men In Black one was a lot better IMO.
Totally. (Did that series end on a cliffhanger? Or did I just miss a final episode/season somewhere?)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Zarm wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:And TBH, if we're talking about Sony cartoons, the Men In Black one was a lot better IMO.
Totally. (Did that series end on a cliffhanger? Or did I just miss a final episode/season somewhere?)
I don't think I ever properly finished it myself. I got to about the first half of Season 2 and then got distracted.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:If the Debont film was made, would’ve the changes made to Godzilla been just as controversal?
Probably to people who get buttmad about every little stray from the norm, but no, not as bad as GINO.
HA!

Buttmad...

I personally believe the Debont film would have have been better
than what was eventually delivered...even with the changes made.