Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a jerk)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your opinion on Godzilla's gender?

I think Godzilla is a male only
64%
I think Godzilla is a male, but I'm fine if he is interpreted as female
10%
I think Godzilla is a female only
1%
I think Godzilla is a female, but I'm fine if she is interpreted as male
1%
I think Godzilla can be interpreted with either gender
10%
I think Godzilla has no gender, only RAGE
12%
Other (please specify)
3%

Total votes: 110

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a jerk)

Postby Vatarian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:19 am

Lizard

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:44 pm

I'd be absolutely open to seeing a female member of Godzilla's species. That is completely uncharted territory and could be potentially interesting.
ImageBaby free at last! Thank Megatron I'm free at last!

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Actually, technically Godzilland has a female member of Godzilla's species, Gojirin. So I think that should be the definite answer since it clearly shows that Godzilla is male. :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Breakdown wrote:I'd be absolutely open to seeing a female member of Godzilla's species. That is completely uncharted territory and could be potentially interesting.

We'd have to make her differently then Godzilla. And I have a few ideas.

1. ALL male Godzilla's-I.E. Godzilla himself-have plates and explain that they were originally used for display. Female won't have any, or will have much smaller ones. Basically a form of sexual dimorphism

2. Males are also sightly larger overalls, but female are sometimes a bit longer. This is also a form of sexual dimorphism.

3. Males have a more powerful death ray, but more often then not, they have to charge up a bit. Females have a slightly less powerful death ray, but they don't need to charge.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Vatarian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Breakdown wrote:I'd be absolutely open to seeing a female member of Godzilla's species. That is completely uncharted territory and could be potentially interesting.

1. ALL male Godzilla's-I.E. Godzilla himself-have plates and explain that they were originally used for display. Female won't have any, or will have much smaller ones. Basically a form of sexual dimorphism

2. Males are also sightly larger overalls, but female are sometimes a bit longer. This is also a form of sexual dimorphism.

3. Males have a more powerful death ray, but more often then not, they have to charge up a bit. Females have a slightly less powerful death ray, but they don't need to charge.

Really determined for the female to be smaller and weaker, huh?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:06 am

Vatarian wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Really determined for the female to be smaller and weaker, huh?

Not at all, the females would be just as durable as the males and they would actually be slightly better close combat fighters.

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am

Funilly enough, I actually half-jokingly once thought the Legendary Godzilla could be female.

But on the subject, the films use male pronouns and teat Godzilla as male, so I think he's male, but any other interpretation is ok with me Though personally, I think "only rage" is more appropriate. :lol:
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:Not at all, the females would be just as durable as the males and they would actually be slightly better close combat fighters.

Would the females be a different color?
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Postby SpaceG92 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Grievous wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Not at all, the females would be just as durable as the males and they would actually be slightly better close combat fighters.

Yes. As well as having heart shaped spines.

Resized Image

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:02 pm

SpaceG92 wrote:Yes. As well as having heart shaped spines.

Resized Image

HA!
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Gojirawars 03
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Gojirawars 03 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:18 am

They very clearly refer to him as a "He" throughout most of the films, he is Minilla/Godzilla Jr's father, and his title is "King" of the Monsters. Not Queen. He's not called Minilla/Godzilla Jr's mother. So it seems pretty obvious to me.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9RqfL3pOgHr78nzbs-FQ

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

The differences listed are all very natural. Males animals are often larger and more armed or ornate than the females so that they can attract a female and compete with other males. This doesn't mean the females are weak, though. The kick of a female giraffe will kill a lion as effectively as a male kick would.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 am

SpaceG92 wrote:
Grievous wrote:

Yes. As well as having heart shaped spines.

Resized Image

If Godzilly ever shows up in a live action film...just...lol!

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Noooooooo! No pink Godzillas!
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

LockBite
Interpol Agent

Postby LockBite » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:59 pm

I tend to look at incarnations like Godzilla ‘54, Spacegodzilla, and GMK as asexual. The others I tend to view as male, whether it be because of their contrast to the blatantly feminine Mothra/Megaguirus, their tough love treatment of their offspring (Showa and Heisei), or the deliberate... you know, imagery... of opponents like Hedorah, Biollante, and Orga. Godzilla generally has a masculine role in these films, so it just seems more thematically appropriate to view him as male.

GodzillaBurgh
Interpol Agent

Postby GodzillaBurgh » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:38 am

I don't view these kaiju as monsters or genders, I view them as elemental gods or humanity's arrogance.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

LockBite
Interpol Agent

Postby LockBite » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 pm

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I don't view these kaiju as monsters or genders, I view them as elemental gods or humanity's arrogance.

Some of them definitely have genders though. We can pretty much say for sure Kong is male by his chest. Mothra is obviously female. The initial Rodans were a mating pair. The Gargantuas are stated to be males. So while their gender is often irrelevant, it’s still fun to speculate.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:37 am

LockBite wrote: We can pretty much say for sure Kong is male by his chest.

Yeah, and well you know, he went after Ann in several films and had a honeymoon with Lady Kong in King Kong Lives. I do agree though.

I view every Godzilla as male, I mean honestly it's a given. It's not a convoluted idea like the plot of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. Godzilla has masculine traits, has directly been called "Papa Godzilla", every other form of media such as Godzilland and old games from the 80's go the length to make a distinction between Godzilla himself and female members of his kind. Even weird incarnations such as Shin should be no different since just like any other Godzilla, Shin started off as a "normal" animal. Godzilla Earth is referred to as "King of the Monsters" (a title that has stuck around since the American version of '54), and Godzilla Earth as a beard of all things and a manly six-pack.
Oh, and Godzilla has been called a "bastard" about 405 times in the 21st century :P ;)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:42 am

Wasn't Mothra referred to as "he" a lot, though? I always refer to Mothra as "she", but I thought in the Showa era the subtitles always refer to Mothra as a "he".
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:06 am

Maritonic wrote:Wasn't Mothra referred to as "he" a lot, though? I always refer to Mothra as "she", but I thought in the Showa era the subtitles always refer to Mothra as a "he".

Was that for Ghidorah, The Three Head Monster? Because I distincly remember them calling the larva a "he" and wasn't sure if it was just Mandela effect.

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

Return to “General Toho Films”