Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

Post by Godzillian »

GojiDog wrote:Destroy All Monsters does kind of have the "end of an era" feel to it.
That's cause it was meant too since it was. It's the last time Tohos dream team made a kaiju film together, it was when the Japanese movie system was going through massive upheaval, Kaiju films were becoming expensive to make. This was Tohos last hurrah and in their mind the possibly last kaiju film they'd make

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

A thought I had while watching the movie the other day: Once it became obvious that the Baragon suit was useless and that both he and Varan would need to be completely redone, why didn't Toho just go back to using Ebirah and Maguma like they originally intended? Or Sanda or Kamacuras or whoever? Why stick to their guns with Baragon and Varan if they couldn't even use them?
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:A thought I had while watching the movie the other day: Once it became obvious that the Baragon suit was useless and that both he and Varan would need to be completely redone, why didn't Toho just go back to using Ebirah and Maguma like they originally intended? Or Sanda or Kamacuras or whoever? Why stick to their guns with Baragon and Varan if they couldn't even use them?
Kamacuras wire work probably stopped it from being in it as for the rest no idea. Varan ahs prob kept in as just having the puppet was an easy way to get an extra kaiju in. The others you mention are anyone's guess

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

They probably just wanted Varan to be associated with a well made movie.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ebirah and Gaira were probably starting to rot as a result of being water logged, and would have likely required a lot of restoration work to be 'screen useable'.
Last edited by Goji on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The Baragon and Varan parts are pretty small though, so they might not have wanted to replace them with other characters that would have necessitated using more stunt performers. Varan is portrayed solely by a prop. Ebirah, Gaira, Maguma, etc. would have been monster suits requiring already overworked actors. Keep in mind too that the actors were already outnumbered by the monsters that appeared on screen. Using more monster suits would have limited the other characters' parts.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Toho was content using the rotten Gaira suit for Go! Godman and Go! Greenman much later, but apparently didn't feel like going the extra mile to restore it for another film appearance back in 1968.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

King of the Monsters wrote:Toho was content using the rotten Gaira suit for Go! Godman and Go! Greenman much later, but apparently didn't feel like going the extra mile to restore it for another film appearance back in 1968.
That's when Tsuburaya wasn't involved with Toho at the time.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Godman and Greenman were also super low budget TV shows and not feature films.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Well...this one is a Classic...no doubt about it.

Its amazing to think it was to be the last.

Good thing it wasn't.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Ian_1954
Young Farmer

Post by Ian_1954 »

I know much of the conversation has died down but I would like to contribute to the discussion. For me Destroy all Monsters was a rare team up that we didn't really see that often through out the entire series with basicly the exception of Final wars. The variety of abilities really made the end fight and even the destruction some of the best As a kid this was my favorite movie for that reason and also the fight scenes. Currently I enjoy it because of the straight forward plot that while simplistic seems similar to a Greek epic. The cold nature of the Kilaks make them seem at least to me more menacing. I just really enjoy this movie and still do.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I still wish Toho would have done a true remake of this one off of this film where all the monsters are used and then fight King Ghidorah together.

I don't hate Final Wars but it is almost worth it if they would have just used all those suits and remade DAM.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Ian_1954 wrote:I know much of the conversation has died down but I would like to contribute to the discussion. For me Destroy all Monsters was a rare team up that we didn't really see that often through out the entire series with basicly the exception of Final wars. The variety of abilities really made the end fight and even the destruction some of the best As a kid this was my favorite movie for that reason and also the fight scenes. Currently I enjoy it because of the straight forward plot that while simplistic seems similar to a Greek epic. The cold nature of the Kilaks make them seem at least to me more menacing. I just really enjoy this movie and still do.
Welcome aboard, Young Farmer! Glad to see this movie getting some praise instead of the common flak these days. Also, bumping a film talkback thread is nothing to apologise for, since they regularly gather dust for years at a time. More discussion is best discussion.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The attack on Tokyo is one of the best destruction scenes in the series. It's a visual feast with all of the projectiles and explosions going around.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:Glad to see this movie getting some praise instead of the common flak these days.
This film gets flak?

Really?!

ArchdukeCaligula
Monsterland Worker

Post by ArchdukeCaligula »

Grievous wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:Glad to see this movie getting some praise instead of the common flak these days.
This film gets flak?

Really?!
Most of the complaints is that there isn't enough focus on the monsters. Honestly though, the only scenes that slog the pacing of the movie is the scene explaining about finding the metal balls around the world and the slow parts of when the Moonlight SY-3 crew is on the moon searching for the monster controller device. Also that not all of the monsters get enough time to shine.
This movie is one of the best of the Showa era, though. Kickass score, army scenes, and of course monster footage.
HayesAJones wrote:
ArchdukeCaligula wrote:The Giant Behemoth(does that thing have a name)
He answers to Franklin.
JAGzilla wrote:^ What... the skreeonk… has gone wrong in your life that this level of hatred is directed at a cartoon three-year-old? :lol:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

ArchdukeCaligula wrote: Most of the complaints is that there isn't enough focus on the monsters.
Erm...no, the characters are pathetically unmemorable (Akira Kubo is not a good lead) and the pacing is extremely sloggish. It's pretty much saved by the fantastic effects sequences. It's not the worst of the Showa era but it certainly has no business being anywhere near the top.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

UltramanGoji wrote:
ArchdukeCaligula wrote: Most of the complaints is that there isn't enough focus on the monsters.
Erm...no, the characters are pathetically unmemorable (Akira Kubo is not a good lead) and the pacing is extremely sloggish. It's pretty much saved by the fantastic effects sequences. It's not the worst of the Showa era but it certainly has no business being anywhere near the top.
I'm sure Akira Kubo could've been a good lead if the protagonist was well written. I wouldn't put it on him.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

ArchdukeCaligula wrote:Most of the complaints is that there isn't enough focus on the monsters.
Well...that's my complaint about Godzilla vs. Monster Zero...so I can understand that.
Its funny because I see Destroy All Monsters as Godzilla vs. Monster Zero "done right"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Perfectly executed or not, it's a great concept. Yes, it's essentially the plot of Monster Zero but BIGGERER, but still. I'd love to see a proper, competent remake somewhere down the line.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio