Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I love this film, I'd say it's in my top ten, even though at this point I don't rank the franchise anymore due to it being so diverse. The action is iconic, the characters are likeable and charming, and the small comedic bits are great. I love how it can be inferred the Xiliens might've been on Earth when KG attacked in 1964, since the Controller knew about Godzilla and Rodan defeating KG. They definitely captured and controlled him once he fled that battle.

So why exactly did the inventor create that sound device? I'm pretty sure it's never elaborate on.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I love this film, I'd say it's in my top ten, even though at this point I don't rank the franchise anymore due to it being so diverse. The action is iconic, the characters are likeable and charming, and the small comedic bits are great. I love how it can be inferred the Xiliens might've been on Earth when KG attacked in 1964, since the Controller knew about Godzilla and Rodan defeating KG. They definitely captured and controlled him once he fled that battle.

So why exactly did the inventor create that sound device? I'm pretty sure it's never elaborate on.
he says its going to be a toy for kids

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Godzillian wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I love this film, I'd say it's in my top ten, even though at this point I don't rank the franchise anymore due to it being so diverse. The action is iconic, the characters are likeable and charming, and the small comedic bits are great. I love how it can be inferred the Xiliens might've been on Earth when KG attacked in 1964, since the Controller knew about Godzilla and Rodan defeating KG. They definitely captured and controlled him once he fled that battle.

In the Japanese original, it is called 'Ladyguard'; a rape alarm.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I love how it can be inferred the Xiliens might've been on Earth when KG attacked in 1964, since the Controller knew about Godzilla and Rodan defeating KG. They definitely captured and controlled him once he fled that battle.
And then there's Dr. Sakurai's line "Ghidorah was always one of their weapons."
Zarm wrote:
Godzillian wrote:he says its going to be a toy for kids
To clarify, it's still called the "Ladyguard Alarm" in the dub. Tetsui doesn't create it as a toy, but when a toy company (the Xians) offers to buy it up, he's so happy and desperate to finally be making some money off the thing he eagerly sells it. Haruni even tells him "Oh, a toy? It's no toy."
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Zarm wrote:
Godzillian wrote:

Well, that's interesting. So a rape alarm ends up saving humanity.

The Godzilla franchise is like no other.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:So a rape alarm ends up saving humanity.
And now I like this film more simply from reading that line.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

So planet Earth was under the impression that Planet X wasn’t or hadn’t been to Earth at the time of Fuji and Glenn’s arrival, yet the Commander has the *exact locations of Godzilla and Rodan? And no ones suspicious about this in the slightest? :lol:

Added in 3 minutes 46 seconds:
Godzillian wrote:

No, he designs it as a rape whistle for women, and a toy manufacturer buys it, which his fiancé finds suspicious.

I remember Lain had a rant about this back in the day in this thread :lol:

EDIT: I just went back to page 11 and found it, humorously enough I even found a post on the same page where MechaGoji Bro commented on the fact it was a rape whistle, yet here he is asking what its purpose was :eh:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So I just realized something after re watching the film last night. Planet X would have been more successful had they sent Monster Zero in by himself and left Godzilla and Rodan on Planet X. To bring in the one thing that can stop your heavy hitter even if you can control them was super risky on their part, worse case scenario they could have unleashed Ghidorah and came back after the Earth was wiped out and regained control over him with no Rodan and Godzilla to stop him.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

miguelnuva wrote:So I just realized something after re watching the film last night. Planet X would have been more successful had they sent Monster Zero in by himself and left Godzilla and Rodan on Planet X. To bring in the one thing that can stop your heavy hitter even if you can control them was super risky on their part, worse case scenario they could have unleashed Ghidorah and came back after the Earth was wiped out and regained control over him with no Rodan and Godzilla to stop him.
This shows their hubris, though. Assuming they were untouchable and could not be defeated.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

So are these guys robots or did they create a super computer to give them order?
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
EDIT: I just went back to page 11 and found it, humorously enough I even found a post on the same page where MechaGoji Bro commented on the fact it was a rape whistle, yet here he is asking what its purpose was :eh:
That first post of mine was like, two years ago. I forgot :lol:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Wait wait wait, hold on.

Since when was the invention a rape whistle???

I've seen Monster Zero dozens of times since I was six years old. I don't remember this at all.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Wait wait wait, hold on.

Since when was the invention a rape whistle???

I've seen Monster Zero dozens of times since I was six years old. I don't remember this at all.
It’s implied, it’s called the lady guard alarm, rape is just a bit of its intent as it was made to sound off when a woman was assualted in any manner, his fiancée comments that it’s odd a toy manufacturer would buy a such a device.
#slatternking

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I remember loving this movie as a kid! Second Godzilla movie I'd ever seen. The dance, the X-sejin, the Nick Adams... Not to mention seeing King Ghidorah in all his glory for the first time!
I understand people's complaints now that I've seen it 300,000 times but Monster Zero will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

The original Japanese trailer has an alternate take on the scene where Rodan rams into King Ghidorah. Godzilla stumbles backwards and remains visible the entire time in the trailer version. In addition, the shot is longer and Godzilla is more active. But, in the actual film, Godzilla is covered by Ghidorah almost immediately after impact. Has anyone ever mentioned this before?
Major sssspielberg! wrote:I understand people's complaints now that I've seen it 300,000 times but Monster Zero will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart.
You make it sound like it isn't a good movie.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

kamilleblu wrote: You make it sound like it isn't a good movie.
How's that exactly?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:
How's that exactly?
I guess I'm used to seeing the special place in my heart card thrown down as admission of defeat. Especially paired with the understanding complaints part. But my bad if I made the wrong assumption.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

kamilleblu wrote:
How's that exactly?
I guess I'm used to seeing the special place in my heart card thrown down as admission of defeat. Especially paired with the understanding complaints part. But my bad if I made the wrong assumption.
It's straight man, it's just literally one of my favorite movies ever. I'm sorry if I came off defensive about it.
I guess I've noticed that people who aren't disposed to falling for kaiju films (so to speak) don't seem too keen on the extended Sci- fi plot and smaller amounts of kaiju action which I can completely understand if you're expecting more of a Jun Fukuda type experience.
I guess that's moreso what I was driving at. To me it's one of the best Godzilla films and one of my personal favorite movies in general.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:
How's that exactly?
It's straight man, it's just literally one of my favorite movies ever. I'm sorry if I came off defensive about it.
I guess I've noticed that people who aren't disposed to falling for kaiju films (so to speak) don't seem too keen on the extended Sci- fi plot and smaller amounts of kaiju action which I can completely understand if you're expecting more of a Jun Fukuda type experience.
I guess that's moreso what I was driving at. To me it's one of the best Godzilla films and one of my personal favorite movies in general.
This is actually one that I've chosen to get a couple of people interested in the genre, specifically because of the engaging, pulpy sci-fi plot and associated production design.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Lol. It’s a gateway Godzilla film.