Titan Design Thread: Mothra

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Do You Think?

Love it!
70%
Hate it...
5%
Meh.
25%

Total votes: 93

LegendaryMonster
GPN Volunteer

Re: Titan Design Thread: Mothra

Post by LegendaryMonster »

So I loved what I saw of Mothra in the trailer, she looks way better than the toy. The shot of her head on was my favorite love the furriness.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Mothra in-film looks GORGEOUS! I love the long pointy legs, and how dynamic they are!
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

Some considerations:

The mothra head is very similar to the original. His eyes resemble that of Mothra Leo in some of his alternative forms:

Long legs have already been considered in the first conceptual arts of the monster, including a bipedal posture (I believe legendary Mothra can take a similar stance):

Also I must remember that some old designs have had long legs, like the one we saw in GMK. So this concept for Mothra isn't completely new too:

Long legs are also common in existing species of moths:

About the wings, many people commented that they were more like the wings of a wasp. Well, what we consider as a "moth look" is just a more widespread concept how a moth looks like. Many moths, however, have appearance very similar to those of wasps and other flying insects:

Even though it is slightly different than more traditional Mothra's look, is nothing compared to this:

or this:

After all, I can say that the mothra design considers both old designs and real moths.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

She really looks a lot like Leo in the face.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

She looks fucking awesome and anybody who disagrees is just hung up on nostalgia.

The way her bioluminescence kind of bleeds into the orange/red/black when the sun is out, as seen in the trailer, is simply breathtaking.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

She looks absolutely stunning in this- the bioluminescence is a genius touch imo, really adds to the beauty factor of her design.
I don't mind the long, pointy legs either- she looks like she's built for close quarters combat in this. Imo her design perfectly balances power with elegance.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

So I wanted to address an inconsistency I see with Mothra's design in the marketing for this film.

Notice the level of furriness for the Mothra's head in the above picture from the new trailer. There is the orange part on her forehead. This is similar to the Toho design of the character.

In this recently released poster if you zoom in on her head, there appears to be no fur. Nor is there an orange part on her head. Her head resembles more of like an ant or wasp than a fuzzy moth.

I am just wondering why this discrepancy is there. The Mothra from the poster looks more similar to the SHMA figure than the Mothra featured in the trailer.

I also noticed we saw little of Mothra in the trailer compared to all the other monsters. It's outlandish to say, but part of me wonders if Warner Bros. saw the negative reactions to the new Mothra design revealed at Tokyo Comic-Con and decided to redo shots of her to make her more similar to the classic design. That is probably not true, but my imagination is getting the better of me and I don't know why she would look so different in the poster than she did in the trailer.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Gojira-Fan wrote:So I wanted to address an inconsistency I see with Mothra's design in the marketing for this film.

Notice the level of furriness for the Mothra's head in the above picture from the new trailer. There is the orange part on her forehead. This is similar to the Toho design of the character.

In this recently released poster if you zoom in on her head, there appears to be no fur. Nor is there an orange part on her head. Her head resembles more of like an ant or wasp than a fuzzy moth.

I am just wondering why this discrepancy is there. The Mothra from the poster looks more similar to the SHMA figure than the Mothra featured in the trailer.

I also noticed we saw little of Mothra in the trailer compared to all the other monsters. It's outlandish to say, but part of me wonders if Warner Bros. saw the negative reactions to the new Mothra design revealed at Tokyo Comic-Con and decided to redo shots of her to make her more similar to the classic design. That is probably not true, but my imagination is getting the better of me and I don't know why she would look so different in the poster than she did in the trailer.
It might just be me, but it looks like all the textures of the monsters in poster have a more plastic like look to them than in the actual trailer and figures. It seems like they just used the basic, undetailed models to create the posters and that’s why Mothra doesn’t appear to have fur in her poster.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah. Like someone also pointed out on the speculation forum, it seems that they are using the low-poly versions of the movie models to pose them in the posters.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

BrazilianKaiju wrote:Some considerations:

The mothra head is very similar to the original. His eyes resemble that of Mothra Leo in some of his alternative forms:

Long legs have already been considered in the first conceptual arts of the monster, including a bipedal posture (I believe legendary Mothra can take a similar stance):

Also I must remember that some old designs have had long legs, like the one we saw in GMK. So this concept for Mothra isn't completely new too:

Long legs are also common in existing species of moths:

About the wings, many people commented that they were more like the wings of a wasp. Well, what we consider as a "moth look" is just a more widespread concept how a moth looks like. Many moths, however, have appearance very similar to those of wasps and other flying insects:

Even though it is slightly different than more traditional Mothra's look, is nothing compared to this:

or this:

After all, I can say that the mothra design considers both old designs and real moths.
Well congratulations... You've made me like Mothra's MV design even more. :)

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

Many people are having problems with Mothra's design because it'ss very different from the classic one and because she's more like a wasp than a moth.

So I decided show that many design choices are not unprecedented and she still is a moth.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I was on the fence with her design but seeing her in motion in the new trailer has gotten me onboard.. I swear the SHMA design just looks way different in the head and more like an alien or something.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Definitely looks different in the trailer than it did on the toy or in the poster. Doesn't matter to me, though. I will never spend the necessary money to get that toy, I don't care about posters, and frankly, I like both "versions" of the design, so.

Added in 3 minutes 7 seconds:
Gojira-Fan wrote:part of me wonders if Warner Bros. saw the negative reactions to the new Mothra design revealed at Tokyo Comic-Con and decided to redo shots of her to make her more similar to the classic design. That is probably not true, but my imagination is getting the better of me and I don't know why she would look so different in the poster than she did in the trailer.
Not only is it probably not true, it certainly isn't true. No way in hell they managed to alter her design much during the time from the Comic-Con and the trailer dropping. Moreover, what "negative reactions"? The four or five people stuck in their childhood on Toho Kingdom who whined about it? Sorry to burst their bubble, but WB/Legendary almost certainly doesn't care about what they said.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

So there's a rumor Ghidorah and Kong will earn the King parts of their names in the Monsterverse by beating Godzilla in at least one fight. Considering how many times Mothra has beaten Godzilla before I think I'm gonna nick name her Queen Mothra. She's already being called Queen of the Monsters in this continuity. :lol:

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I think they were going for the GMK look, and it's one of my favorite designs of Mothra.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Those trailer shots have brought me around to her new look.

I still think those back legs make it look like she'll be able to rise up and stand bipedal. If it's quick, and just to deliver a few sharp punches with her forelegs it could be cool.
. . .

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

Look at my post. Toho had already considered making Mothra with the bipedal position. Maybe they just decided to use the concept.

But I think we'll see something like this:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vsb ... 1027014934

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Can I just say I REALLY like the MonsterVerse Mothra design...

She actually looks like a dangerous insectoid kaiju & not a plush
toy you'd buy for your partner on Valentine's day.

Don't get me wrong...classic Mothra is Classic...but new Mothra
looks fucking mean...& I like that.
Last edited by Grievous on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Grievous wrote:Can I just say I REALLY like the MonsterVerse Mothra design...

looks skreeonking mean...& I like that.
I liked her better in the trailer than in the SHMA figure. However, with all this "making Mothra badass" philosophy I hope the creators of the film understand that what makes Mothra unique is her gracefullness, elegance and yes, even cuteness. These aspects are what make Mothra a stand out from other Kaiju and those reasons are why she is my favorite daikaiju. I'm hoping there are a signifigant amount of moments like the shot of Mothra's wings rising out of the ocean in the 1st trailer. Moments that really show how beautiful she is and that are breathtaking. I have faith Dougherty and co. know what makes Mothra special and will do their best to have that show in the film, but we will just have to wait and see.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
Grievous wrote:Can I just say I REALLY like the MonsterVerse Mothra design...

looks skreeonking mean...& I like that.
I liked her better in the trailer than in the SHMA figure. However, with all this "making Mothra badass" philosophy I hope the creators of the film understand that what makes Mothra unique is her gracefullness, elegance and yes, even cuteness. These aspects are what make Mothra a stand out from other Kaiju and those reasons are why she is my favorite daikaiju. I'm hoping there are a signifigant amount of moments like the shot of Mothra's wings rising out of the ocean in the 1st trailer. Moments that really show how beautiful she is and that are breathtaking. I have faith Dougherty and co. know what makes Mothra special and will do their best to have that show in the film, but we will just have to wait and see.
They will. The scene of MBB and larva Mothra staring at each other hints at that, as does the scene of whoever standing there watching her as she rises up with her god-rays. I do think there will be slightly less "cuteness" here, but slightly more majesty/beauty, which is appropriate for this series.