Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a jerk)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your opinion on Godzilla's gender?

I think Godzilla is a male only
65%
I think Godzilla is a male, but I'm fine if he is interpreted as female
10%
I think Godzilla is a female only
1%
I think Godzilla is a female, but I'm fine if she is interpreted as male
1%
I think Godzilla can be interpreted with either gender
10%
I think Godzilla has no gender, only RAGE
12%
Other (please specify)
3%

Total votes: 113

Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a j

Post by Mechagigan »

"King of the Monsters" probably only chose "King" because, let's face it, monster characters are more often than not male. King Kong, or most of Universal's monsters, for example. Plus, it's purely a B-Movie catchphrase... I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few other Kings of the Monsters floating around.

Hauntedmech
Yojimbo

Post by Hauntedmech »

eabaker wrote:
Legendary Gojira wrote:Does the title "King of the Monsters" tell you anything?
But that's (ugh, I hate that I'm finding myself using this word twice in the same day on the same board, but, dammit, it fits) paratextual evidence, and so of secondary relevance at best.
Honestly, any evidence that anyone brings up either way in this argument can be summed up this way.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Most of the confusion comes from the existence of children, which are never explicitly said to have direct relation to him. I think kpa said the best explanation was that he found and adopted them. Which makes sense because Dr. Yamane alluded to the possibility of other members of his species existing. Besides that, there's nothing else leaning towards Godzilla being female except Toho has referred to him with gender neutral pronouns. Yet they haven't been consistent with this, as they have also used male pronouns.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Even when there were young, he was always refered to as the father or "papa", like in SOG.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:Even when there were young, he was always refered to as the father or "papa", like in SOG.
But can we assume that those characters have accurate in-universe knowledge of Godzilla's gender? (Not that I think it matters, but others might.)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I mean, in the Showa universe, Godzilla is a pretty constant threat. It probably wouldn't be that far fetched to assume that scientists and the such put their all into understanding him/her as much as possible.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

He's a male, but he reproduces asexually :lol: :lol: :lol:

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

I like how one person voted for "I think Godzilla is female only".

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

My thoughts, reiterated.

-He's a building sized fucking dinosaur who gives a sHIT.
-Male, probably, as pronouns say. Perhaps determined through harvest of skin samples, but would not put it past Japan to mount an expidition to look up the fucking kaiju's figurative skirt.
-See point #1.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I mean, whith all the male pronouns, I see no reason why he wouldn't be male.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Re: Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a jerk)

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

Godzilla is totally male, but, in some scenes in the English dubs for the movies, they call him as HER.
Last edited by Godzilla2004fan on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Male. Nothing more, nothing less.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla2004fan wrote:Godzilla is totally male, but, in some scenes in the English dubs for the movies, they call him as HER.
That’s never happened.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzilla2004fan wrote:Godzilla is totally male, but, in some scenes in the English dubs for the movies, they call him as HER.
Yeah? Which ones?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

Terasawa wrote:
That’s never happened.
Yes, it happened. In Godzilla: Final Wars, Douglas Gordon says "Godzilla thinks HER last battle still going on".

Added in 59 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
Yeah? Which ones?
Douglas Gordon says "Godzilla thinks HER last battle still going on".
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I haven't seen GFW for awhile. I'll need to look for that.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Between the imagery in the fight scenes throughout the series (especially G2000, lol) and the way Godzilla is portrayed as a parent, I view every incarnation outside of 54 as a male. GMK, Shin, and Earth are probably out of the equation entirely, given their origins.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla2004fan wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
That’s never happened.
Yes, it happened. In Godzilla: Final Wars, Douglas Gordon says "Godzilla thinks HER last battle still going on"
I checked it out and you’re right, my apologies, although Don Frye was not dubbed. So it’s not really accurate to say that’s the fault of a dubbed version, as he said that on set. And in fact, in the English version he’s replying to the line “Captain, he’s following us,” and to my knowledge the pronoun “he” is used throughout the dubbed English dialogue. (Also, interestingly enough, the French subtitles suggest Gordon said something along the lines of “Godzilla still thinks our last battle is going on.” I wonder if that was the original line and Don Frye messed it up? With few other English speakers on set to notice it’s possible. I think he said “her” but I also have to point out the guy mumbles the line. Maybe he said “our” and it sounds like “her.” Whatever, this movie is not worth this much thought.)

So why is Godzilla a female according to this singular line? I’m not sure, it might have been simply a mistake of whomever wrote the translated English dialogue for this movie. (Or again, maybe simply Frye’s mistake.) I believe evidence in films should be considered over other sources, but I’m also hesitant to read intent in dialogue written in English for a Japanese production. Let’s face it, the Toho Godzilla movies are not known to have good English dialogue or performances of it.

As far as I’m concerned there’s no reason Godzilla can’t be female. I just don’t think that’s the case based on evidence in other films. And they can’t even keep it straight in GFW: doesn’t the narrator refer to Godzilla as “King of the Monsters” during the pre-credit montage? (Too late for me to check, I already put this piece of shit back on the shelf.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Terasawa wrote:
As far as I’m concerned there’s no reason Godzilla can’t be female. I just don’t think that’s the case based on evidence in other films. And they can’t even keep it straight in GFW: doesn’t the narrator refer to Godzilla as “King of the Monsters” during the pre-credit montage? (Too late for me to check, I already put this piece of poop back on the shelf.)
Well, the English dub narrator does indeed say "King of the Monsters", I just checked.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Monsters are only ever female when the plot calls for it. Usually because there's an egg or babies involved or at least the threat off it. Both Baby and Minya were Godzilla answering to distress signals they gave off. You notice after killing the Kamakiras Godzilla seems initially intent to let Minya fend for himself.

The line by the way is "our battle" not "her battle" I mean her battle doesn't even make sense when you think about hard enough.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983