Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Greatest Godzilla film of all time?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 57

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Action and fancy special effects mean nothing if the story and characters suck. After Clash of the Titans and the Bayformers films I've learned never to get my hopes up just because of a cool trailer. That's why I'm refusing to watch any footage from this film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Action and fancy special effects mean nothing if the story and characters suck. After Clash of the Titans and the Bayformers films I've learned never to get my hopes up just because of a cool trailer. That's why I'm refusing to watch any footage from this film.
Would you rather phenomenal characters or amazing imagery? Not saying this can't have both, but it probably won't. When have Godzilla movies ever been known for their non monster characters? Honestly, most people don't watch this movies to see quality film-making. As long as Godzilla is doing sweet Godzilla shit for more than a few minutes the characters could all be played by Kevin Heart for all I care.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The human characters have to at least bring something to the table when Godzilla isn't on screen. That's my problem with G14, the human characters bring nothing to the film. It hurt even worse that Godzilla wasn't on screen that often. I mean I know this film should't have that problem but there's gotta be some emotional attachment to the characters. A bunch of action but with little in the way of substance or emotional attachments to the human characters, that's when you get the Bayformers films.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:Would you rather phenomenal characters or amazing imagery? Not saying this can't have both, but it probably won't. When have Godzilla movies ever been known for their non monster characters? Honestly, most people don't watch this movies to see quality film-making. As long as Godzilla is doing sweet Godzilla poop for more than a few minutes the characters could all be played by Kevin Heart for all I care.
Sorry I would rather have phenomenal characters that build up the drama and stakes for the viewer, then be bored out of my mind waiting for the next monster action piece to start, no matter how good it looked. Most of my favorite Kaiju films feature better characters, then monster action. Good example; Monster Zero, barely any Godzilla, Rodan, or King Ghidorah, but plenty of Glenn and Fuji. I am not a fast forward to the monster parts type, I would rather enjoy the whole film.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

szmigiel wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:Would you rather phenomenal characters or amazing imagery? Not saying this can't have both, but it probably won't. When have Godzilla movies ever been known for their non monster characters? Honestly, most people don't watch this movies to see quality film-making. As long as Godzilla is doing sweet Godzilla poop for more than a few minutes the characters could all be played by Kevin Heart for all I care.
Sorry I would rather have phenomenal characters that build up the drama and stakes for the viewer, then be bored out of my mind waiting for the next monster action piece to start, no matter how good it looked. Most of my favorite Kaiju films feature better characters, then monster action. Good example; Monster Zero, barely any Godzilla, Rodan, or King Ghidorah, but plenty of Glenn and Fuji. I am not a fast forward to the monster parts type, I would rather enjoy the whole film.
Yeah, I gotta agree with szmigiel on this. (MZ is one of my favs too) The characters atleast have to be charismatic and entertaining.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I quite like the quirky characters in “Bayformers”, but I would rather Godzilla have a more serious tone, although hopefully have more emotion than in G14, despite my love for that film.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Can't say just yet, but the film seems to have a lot of the right beats going for it. If anything I can say given the amount of monster fights and action it'll probably be at least the most energetic of the 2010s films.