Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by Maritonic »

Dr. Professor wrote:Remember that time I confessed that I don't like Godzilla vs. Gigan?
Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98
Whoa whoa Gigan doesn't deserve that shiit!! Where's goji89?! He'll have a heartattack!
goji89 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98
^^^____^^^^_______^^^^^^^^___________________________
Flatlined.

I mean Ive read some stupid, crazy, mean, ignorant, absurd, funny, ridiculous and wholesome....things here in TK but I have never seen such a post that just breaks all Godzilla norms. I truly believe sir that we all here at TK feel sorry for that opinion (or whatever the hell you call it) and that you seek help immediately.

Gigan has the most memorable scenes in the franchise. Talking Goji and Anguirus, red blood, violent as hell, the corn guy, hippies, giant alien roaches, stock footage galore and the fighting stage is a theme park for crying out loud.....I mean, Jesus....I gotta sit down.
Well folks, I busted out the ol' 50th Anniversary DVD from 2004 and I'm giving it a second chance after years of not watching it! Will my opinion change? Probably not!
A man has DIED, Professor, have you no DECENCY?!
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:Remember that time I confessed that I don't like Godzilla vs. Gigan?
Maritonic wrote:
Whoa whoa Gigan doesn't deserve that shiit!! Where's goji89?! He'll have a heartattack!
goji89 wrote:
^^^____^^^^_______^^^^^^^^___________________________
Flatlined.

I mean Ive read some stupid, crazy, mean, ignorant, absurd, funny, ridiculous and wholesome....things here in TK but I have never seen such a post that just breaks all Godzilla norms. I truly believe sir that we all here at TK feel sorry for that opinion (or whatever the hell you call it) and that you seek help immediately.

Gigan has the most memorable scenes in the franchise. Talking Goji and Anguirus, red blood, violent as hell, the corn guy, hippies, giant alien roaches, stock footage galore and the fighting stage is a theme park for crying out loud.....I mean, Jesus....I gotta sit down.
Well folks, I busted out the ol' 50th Anniversary DVD from 2004 and I'm giving it a second chance after years of not watching it! Will my opinion change? Probably not!
WAIT I'm actually really enjoying it so far! The main characters are actually very charming and fun. Though I don't care much for the antagonists, and I wish Anguirus didn't have such dead eyes. But other than those two things I'm having a great time with it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

WAIT I'm actually really enjoying it so far! The main characters are actually very charming and fun. Though I don't care much for the antagonists, and I wish Anguirus didn't have such dead eyes. But other than those two things I'm having a great time with it.
GO ON, PROFESSOR, GO ON!
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dr. Professor wrote: WAIT I'm actually really enjoying it so far! The main characters are actually very charming and fun. Though I don't care much for the antagonists, and I wish Anguirus didn't have such dead eyes. But other than those two things I'm having a great time with it.
^^^_____________^^^^______^^^........*cough* Keep watching professor, I think we can get through this....All three of us.

Maritonic and I believe youll like it....open your eyes and mind.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
GO ON, PROFESSOR, GO ON!
Gengo's girlfriend is really great! The dynamic between the two of them is very entertaining. Gigan looks absolutely fantastic and there's a lot of great shots during the rampage. However, the quality of his suit really amplifies how poor Godzilla, Anguirus, and Ghidorah look. And the stock footage is too obvious for me to not be thoroughly annoyed by it. These two things make me wish that Ghidorah had just been left out of the film entirely, but I'm sure they threw him in for box office reasons.
goji89 wrote:
^^^_____________^^^^______^^^........*cough* Keep watching professor, I think we can get through this....All three of us.

Maritonic and I believe youll like it....open your eyes and mind.
Oh my god, you're alive! It's gonna be alright, Goji89! It's already out of my bottom 5!
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dr. Professor wrote: Oh my god, you're alive! It's gonna be alright, Goji89! It's already out of my bottom 5!
You're just what the doctor ordered.

:cry: .....Do you still believe Maritonic..... in miracles....

YAY!!!!!!!

It's not on his bottom 5!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

goji89 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Oh my god, you're alive! It's gonna be alright, Goji89! It's already out of my bottom 5!

YAY!!!!!!!

I ordered myself? :shock:

I got genuinely excited when Godzilla and Anguirus showed up to fight Gigan and Ghidorah.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
goji89 wrote:

YAY!!!!!!!

I got genuinely excited when Godzilla and Anguirus showed up to fight Gigan and Ghidorah.
Damn right you ordered yourself.

Godzilla vs Gigan has its flaws no denying that, but its just so much fun to just enjoy a movie once in a while even with its flaws, thats the beauty of the Showa era series or any Godzilla movie for that matter. Just let the movie take you there.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

goji89 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
goji89 wrote:

YAY!!!!!!!

Damn right you ordered yourself.

Godzilla vs Gigan has its flaws no denying that, but its just so much fun to just enjoy a movie once in a while even with its flaws, thats the beauty of the Showa era series or any Godzilla movie for that matter. Just let the movie take you there.
You're right, man. There's truly nothing like the Godzilla series. There's something to enjoy in every film. I have my least favorites but damn it I still appreciate those movies. You could come to my house and tell me we were gonna Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle For Earth, which is my least favorite Godzilla film of all time, and I would stop everything I'm doing and pop that shit in. Because I love this giant, atomic dinosaur that damn much.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

No doubt it has flaws but like Goji said it's just a lot of fun. Glad you enjoyed it more.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's probably the most unpolished (yes, even moreso than Megalon) of the 70's films but yeah the characters are engaging and the monster designs are fun. But there are a lot of flaws to it, however personally I'm willing to overlook them since the protagonists and story are so fun.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Ok y'all I just finished it! I had a lot of fun. As stated before, the characters are really fun, and in fact, I wish Toho would've brought them back for one of the next films. They were definitely the highlight of the movie. The monster action was a little lackluster, but it had its moments. After rewatching this and, not too long before it, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Gigan is definitely one of my favorite kaiju. His Showa incarnation is vastly superior to his Millennium counterpart, design aside. If I had to give the film a letter grade, I'd give it a C. Like I said, it's no longer in my bottom 5. I'll have to watch it a couple more times to really solidify where it stands, but for now it's sitting at #19 for me. Right below Godzilla vs. Megalon, and right above Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla.

Now I'm gonna go give Godzilla vs. Biollante a second chance as well.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dr. Professor wrote: Now I'm gonna go give Godzilla vs. Biollante a second chance as well.
:eh: .......Bro, Something wrong with Godzilla V Biollante? Please elighten me with your vastly superior movie critique.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

goji89 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Now I'm gonna go give Godzilla vs. Biollante a second chance as well.
:eh: .......Bro, Something wrong with Godzilla V Biollante? Please elighten me with your vastly superior movie critique.
:lol: I just found a good chunk of it boring the first time I watched it (which was also years ago). But trust me, I wanna love it, which is why I'm rewatching it right now.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
goji89 wrote:
:lol: I just found a good chunk of it boring the first time I watched it (which was also years ago). But trust me, I wanna love it, which is why I'm rewatching it right now.
Oh! Well then I wont distract you from watching one of thee best Godzilla movies ever. So yeah, go on ahead bro.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

So, I've rewatched this movie multiple times recently. Every single time I've found this movie very entertaining. It's probably one of my favorites now. It's strange, when I first got the Sony DVD in '05 or '06 I remember being really disappointed by this one. It's interesting how movie preferences change over time.

I most recently watched this with my girlfriend and she was getting so distressed when Godzilla was getting all beaten/bloodied up. The first time Godzilla bleeds she was so shocked. It was great to see how involved she got in all of it.
Last edited by Gojira-Fan on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

What with fans getting all hostile with the blood in this one I mean do you remember Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla... THERE IS TONS OF BLOOD SHOOTING OUT OF GODZILLA'S FRIGGIN NECK!!! and he's lying on his back with blood on the bottom of his mouth and at an instant the human characters thought he was dead because he lay there motionless for a second. As gory or even more in my humble opinion.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Hey look what I found, never thought I'd see fan art of this.

https://www.redbubble.com/people/oneshe ... l%20prints

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote:Hey look what I found, never thought I'd see fan art of this.

Omg it’s amazing. I actually completely forgot about this. Now all we need is Mamagon.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Hey look what I found, never thought I'd see fan art of this.

Omg it’s amazing. I actually completely forgot about this. Now all we need is Mamagon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... t_mothers/

https://www.deviantart.com/kaijukid/art ... -321467371