Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Worse human character out of any Kaiju film

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Ford Brody (Godzilla 2014)
No votes
Pteranodon guy (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2)
14%
Haruo Sakaki (Godzilla Anime)
57%
Dr. Stewart (War of the Gargantuas)
14%
Kennys (Showa Era Child characters)
No votes
Chujo (Tokyo SOS)
No votes
Other (If other, please specify who)
14%

Total votes: 7

SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

news reporter and scientist man from the US dub of King Kong vs Godzilla.

RIP Evan.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:news reporter and scientist man from the US dub of King Kong vs Godzilla.
Yeah...those guys are awful...

:lol:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Post by Godzillander »

Grievous wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:news reporter and scientist man from the US dub of King Kong vs Godzilla.
Yeah...those guys are awful...

:lol:
Same. The awkwardly inserted in American characters in these movies just don't work for me. Only exceptions are Nick Adams and Raymond Burr.
"Sometimes I think this is Godzilla's world. We just live in it."
:godzilla:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

King Kong Vs. Godzilla might have the worst "Add In" characters for a US version. Normally the US edits try to improve the pacing (Godzilla 2000) or at the very least create the illusion that the pacing is faster (Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster).

But here, the newsroom scenes just bring the movie to a screeching halt to talk about nonsense that just doesn't matter. It actually feels longer than the original Japanese cut because of these scenes, even though the film is most likely shorter.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GojiDog wrote:King Kong Vs. Godzilla might have the worst "Add In" characters for a US version. Normally the US edits try to improve the pacing (Godzilla 2000) or at the very least create the illusion that the pacing is faster (Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster).

But here, the newsroom scenes just bring the movie to a screeching halt to talk about nonsense that just doesn't matter. It actually feels longer than the original Japanese cut because of these scenes, even though the film is most likely shorter.
yeahhh but have a few beers and those deadpan lines of dialogue are funny as hell.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

You don't even need to be drunk to find the paleontologist guy hilarious. He's probably the best example of bad sci-fi science in the series.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

JAGzilla wrote:You don't even need to be drunk to find the paleontologist guy hilarious. He's probably the best example of bad sci-fi science in the series.
"Kong is a THINKING animal - his brain is several times larger!"

Yeah, thanks buddy...

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

This is Godzilla or otherwise, now?

Showa Gamera Kennies pretty much take the cake, then. *Especially* the first one.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

JAGzilla wrote:You don't even need to be drunk to find the paleontologist guy hilarious. He's probably the best example of bad sci-fi science in the series.
No doubt. I was referring more to the (forgive me, it's been a long while since I've watched the US cut) Japanese character that was added in who would look at the camera and would deadpan say to the scientists things like "That's not good news here, Joe" when hearing Godzilla was approaching.

Added in 40 seconds:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:This is Godzilla or otherwise, now?

Showa Gamera Kennies pretty much take the cake, then. *Especially* the first one.
American Dub Version of "THIS IS SO SCARY HUEHUEHHAHAHAHAHA" goth dude from Gamera 3 imo.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Lumping ALL the "Kennys" into one answer is awfully broad...
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Lumping ALL the "Kennys" into one answer is awfully broad...
But especially the first one...

You little sh1t.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

^Idk why but referring to them as the "kennies" has me cracking up. Excellent posts, gentlemen.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

At least none of the "Kennys" were as creepy as Hajime Kudo...

Ugh...

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Grievous wrote:At least none of the "Kennys" were as creepy as Hajime Kudo...

Ugh...
Who’s that?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

LegendZilla wrote:Who’s that?
The creepy inventor/scientist guy from Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The idea that Haruo is in this running, and was entered in the drawing before the anime trilogy even concluded is ridiculous. He certainly had a lot of development. I could understand if people thought he was generic, but there’s far worse:

Dr. Stewart is definitely the worst. Dr Jacoby phones it in so hard, and he’s so boring. A gigantic step down from the charismatic nick Adams character from the previous film.

Worst characters:
-Whoever was In Varan(I legit can’t remember who the protagonists were despite seeing it a few times). That’s how bad it is.

-Yuko (POTM/COTEOB): Yuko is just a damsel meant for Haruo to have something to do. We know zero throughout her, despite ultimately being an important part of the story.

-The Major from Godzilla vs Biollante:
The guy who controls the super x. Normally I wouldn’t criticize a character for the inner plot points of the film, but doesn’t he just suck at his job? When the fire mirror starts to fail, he keeps using it repeatedly. Then he makes a grave error of where Godzilla will land, and fucks up again hard in the second super x fight. I also remember him being late and annoying.

Dr. Stewart is definitely one of the worst. Dr Jacoby phones it in so hard, and he’s so boring. A gigantic step down from the charismatic nick Adams character from the previous film. I don’t think he does anything significant in the plot, afterall it’s the female doctor that bonded with Sanda. Actually if he was removed would the movie be any different?

Honorable mention:
Kobayashi and co from GRA. What did they do other then discover Angurius and Godzilla? They have a painfully forced and pointless romance plot that’s just there to pad out the film. One thing that works in there favor is that they’re directly affected by Godzilla because there’s less fish. It adds a human element to the whole thing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I think any character from the anime series can be suggested here and I'd agree with it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Maritonic wrote:I think any character from the anime series can be suggested here and I'd agree with it.
STEEL YOURSELF.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I think any character from the anime series can be suggested here and I'd agree with it.
STEEL YOURSELF.
Nah, I couldn't name any of them except Hauro and Elf dude's name I would know if I read it. Then again I think the anime series is a massively failed experiment and the worst this franchise has to offer, but I'm one of those EDGY 15 YEAR OLD BOYZ WHO ONLY LIVES FOR THE MONSTAR FIIIIIGHTZZZZ, clearly.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Maritonic wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
STEEL YOURSELF.
Nah, I couldn't name any of them except Hauro and Elf dude's name I would know if I read it. Then again I think the anime series is a massively failed experiment and the worst this franchise has to offer, but I'm one of those EDGY 15 YEAR OLD BOYZ WHO ONLY LIVES FOR THE MONSTAR FIIIIIGHTZZZZ, clearly.
Agreed.