Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by JAGzilla »

Wholeheartedly agree that Ebirah needs more appreciation. People knock it for obviously being a Kong movie with Godzilla slapped into Kong's place, but I like the uniqueness of that.

And a Marc Cerasini-style Godzilla movie would be one of the greatest things that could ever happen.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:Wholeheartedly agree that Ebirah needs more appreciation. People knock it for obviously being a Kong movie with Godzilla slapped into Kong's place, but I like the uniqueness of that.
It is strange that Son of Godzilla & Ebirah are often overlooked.

I mean...they aren't the best films...but they are lighter in tone &
have a "fun" vibe about them...almost like they were a preview of
the 70's films yet to come.

I guess the "South Seas" Godzilla films suffer from being sandwiched
between the "Ghidorah Trilogy" (MvsG, Gt3HM & GvsMZ) & the "End
of Everything kaiju overload" that was Destroy All Monsters.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Dr. Professor wrote: I second this so hard. The lighthearted, fun stuff is a huge reason why I love kaiju films. While I think a lot of the darker films are genuinely great and I love them, I have a much better time rewatching films like Son of Godzilla and Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (a film y'all have been sleepin on) rather than movies like GMK or Shin Godzilla.
I fourth it- and, hey, you just haven't been looking at the right threads. I've repeatedly declared Ebirah my favorite showa film, and second favorite Godzilla film of the franchise overall. So not everyone is sleeping. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:I fourth it- and, hey, you just haven't been looking at the right threads. I've repeatedly declared Ebirah my favorite showa film, and second favorite Godzilla film of the franchise overall. So not everyone is sleeping. :)
Is that just because it has Kumi Mizuno in swim wear?

:P
Last edited by Grievous on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I don't know what's been going on for the past 24 hours or so, but the TK forums need to take a collective cold shower. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:I don't know what's been going on for the past 24 hours or so, but the TK forums need to take a collective cold shower. :)
That's my fault...

Sorry...

*Goes & sits in the Shame Corner*

Yes...that's going to be my running gag while I'm here.
Last edited by Grievous on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Zarm wrote:I don't know what's been going on for the past 24 hours or so, but the TK forums need to take a collective cold shower. :)
No time to shower......Got to keep posting and reading every damn post as to not miss any last minute detail about the movie or about the figures.......

Theres a damn new post every damn minute.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

goji89 wrote:
No time to shower......Got to keep posting and reading every damn post as to not miss any last minute detail about the movie or about the figures.......

Theres a damn new post every damn minute.
Yeah, seriously. These last few weeks have been quite lively!

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

But... but... I might miss a slightly different angle of the MV Rodan figure. Or another poor quality phone video with an additional millisecond of the Bear McCreary theme.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Director Masaaki Tezuka enjoyed both Godzilla (1998) and Godzilla (2014), hated Godzilla 2000, and prefers Kiriko Tsujimori of Megaguirus over Akane Yashiro of the Kiryu Saga. His wife think that his movies were better than Godzilla (2014).

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

kamilleblu wrote:Director Masaaki Tezuka enjoyed both Godzilla (1998) and Godzilla (2014), hated Godzilla 2000, and prefers Kiriko Tsujimori of Megaguirus over Akane Yashiro of the Kiryu Saga. His wife think that his movies were better than Godzilla (2014).
so he's the director with the worst taste, got it.

Added in 32 seconds:
expect the Godzilla 2014 enjoyment thing

RIP Evan.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: so he's the director with the worst taste, got it.
expect the Godzilla 2014 enjoyment thing
You got it in one, sir.

Maranatha!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Director Masaaki Tezuka enjoyed both Godzilla (1998) and Godzilla (2014), hated Godzilla 2000, and prefers Kiriko Tsujimori of Megaguirus over Akane Yashiro of the Kiryu Saga. His wife think that his movies were better than Godzilla (2014).
so he's the director with the worst taste, got it.
God damn........He needs some milk.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

His movies aren't better than G14. They aren't much worse but at least G14 had Bryan Cranston and Hollywood CGI. The Tezuka films have neither of those things. I don't like either of his female leads but Akane is indeed the slightly more interesting of the two. G2K while not exactly a favorite of mine is still one of the better films in the franchise. Tezuka is the worst director ever attached to the franchise so he's got little room to talk.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:And a Marc Cerasini-style Godzilla movie would be one of the greatest things that could ever happen.
And now I'm reminded about the 5th book never coming out. UGH.

Added in 1 minute 34 seconds:
And that's the movie that caused it's cancellation.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I find LP Mothra to be a far greater departure from the character than Shin ever was. Its really shocking me how many people are on board with it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I find LP Mothra to be a far greater departure from the character than Shin ever was. Its really shocking me how many people are on board with it.
Because its the bowsette of the kaiju fandom......*shudders*

I mean aside from the wings she looks alien to me. She looks like a kaiju model with its slicked back antennas and tiny wasp waist. Her design stands out too much from the rest and I believe as to why they gave her Muto legs to sort of half ass tie in the insect formula.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I find LP Mothra to be a far greater departure from the character than Shin ever was. Its really shocking me how many people are on board with it.
Personally, I think people are on board the same reason we all got on board with Shin. It's a shockingly new take on the character, but the core traits and personality are still there. It's still Mothra, not MINO.

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Personally, I think people are on board the same reason we all got on board with Shin. It's a shockingly new take on the character, but the core traits and personality are still there. It's still Mothra, not MINO.
Sorry Soggy but not ALL people got on board with Shin.....I sure as hell didn't. But I get your point, but still not everyone likes her design. They like her wings because that is about the only thing that tries to keep the core trait about her. The humanoid alien face wasp like thorax abdomen or whatever four legs, two long front muto like legs and everything else is just bleh.

But hey, to each their own.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

But...it really isn't...

Especially when you consider the precedent set by the Male M.U.T.O.

The new Mothra design fits the aesthetics of the MonsterVerse...at
least as far as I'm concerned.

The classic "fluffy" Toho Mothra would not have worked in this universe.
goji89 wrote:Because its the bowsette of the kaiju fandom......*shudders*
Ewww!!!
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:It's still Mothra
And that's the key.