Titan Design Thread: Godzilla (2019)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Do You Think?

Love it!
88%
Hate it...
No votes
I liked 2014 better.
8%
Meh.
4%

Total votes: 77

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Titan Design Thread: Godzilla (2019)

Post by tbeasley »

I was perfectly fine with 2014 but the beefed up fins on 2019 are such a nice, welcome touch - gives him more of that classic Godzilla silhouette.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

Still the same only difference is his spines, his toes are bigger and his tail is a bit shorter(I wish it was longer). But I love how they did the update on his spines they almost give off the '54 vibe.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I’m a huge fan. I think the addition of the traditional spines was a brilliant move. The 2014 design’s spines always looked pretty dinky to me. If I had any complaints, it would be the new toes. I like the idea of them, but the actual foot part needs to be better defined. It looks like the claws are just jutting out of stumps.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

I put my vote for love it (because I do) but the 2014 design is better in my opinion. I like the more pronounced foot claws in the new design, but I'm not sure about the tail - I guess I could go either way. I prefer 2014's spines, though - the new ones seem to be a bit too pronounced, I guess... I don't know, it's hard to articulate.
Last edited by BlacktimusPrime on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I like the rounded tip of the tail, but it does seem like it’s gotten shorter - other than that, love this design.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

I liked G14's sauropod feet.
. . .

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I like the rounded tip of the tail, but it does seem like it’s gotten shorter - other than that, love this design.
The base of the tail (not sure if that's the right term, the part where the tail meets the body) is not as thick in that area as opposed to G14.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

This, to me, is the definitive modern Godzilla. The spines, the decreased size of the head, shortening of the tail, overall "thinner" look he has. THIS is the Heisei suit of the "modern" films. For me, anyway.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

xenotactics
Monarch Researcher

Post by xenotactics »

The rounded tail tip is the biggest improvement for me. The plates are better, but I wish that they were silver(-ish) or white(-ish) per tradition. Bringing back the triple pectoral muscles of 84-Heisei would have been a welcomed touch as well. Don't really care about the feet. These look a bit G54 or GvKK ('62), so that's cool.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Love it. It's subtle, but his chest and forearms are more developed and he seems more preportionate in general. Love the spines.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I prefer the tail of G14 but everything else about G19 looks great. I am curious to see if Godzilla 2020 will look different from this or if the monsterverse will now have one uninformed Godzilla look.

Looks like the tradition of Godzilla looking slightly different nearly every film continues.

All 4 Titans do get me excited for what the other Titans will look like.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Titan Design Thread: Godzilla

Post by LockBite »

Jagged plates. Rounded tail. Bigger hands. Bigger toes. Bigger shoulders. Bigger eyes. Bigger teeth. Slightly slimmer waist. Rounded off tail. More muscle definition.

There have definitely been some refinements to this rendition of Godzilla, seemingly moving away from 2014’s vision of Godzilla as a creation of natural evolution and more towards Godzilla as a creature made to throw down with other kaiju. What are your thoughts on this design??

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Re: Titan Design Thread: Godzilla

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Some of it is good. I like the new plates, hands, size and eyes. Muscle definition is also improved.

I do not like the tail nor the "slimmer" waist. I also think that the overall increased body size of Godzilla has kind of messed up its proportions with his head. People complained about a "pinhead" effect for G14, which I disagreed with, but in this one, I can start to see it.

It's a small problem, but noticeable.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Not a fan of the rounded tail, but overall I think it's a great design.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anyone care to predict how Godzilla design to be further altered for the next movie? Now there is no way that he will get amputated, but he could a least obtain a prominent scar or two in his fight against Ghidorah.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

LegendZilla wrote:Anyone care to predict how Godzilla design to be further altered for the next movie? Now there is no way that he will get amputated, but he could a least obtain a prominent scar or two in his fight against Ghidorah.
That's what i'm thinking too. Imo they won't make any major aesthetic changes to him this time (since both movies are pretty close to each other, both in release and chronology), but minor, additional details would be cool. One of the shots from the trailer shows him with a nasty head injury, possibly inflicted by Ghidorah- I think it might be from the end of the movie, and he's gonna have those injuries as scars in GvK.

As for the design itself, I think it looks awesome. Still keeps the basic essence of 2014, while updating it appropriately to make it more Toho-esque. The bigger claws and spines are my favorite fixes.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dv-218 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Anyone care to predict how Godzilla design to be further altered for the next movie? Now there is no way that he will get amputated, but he could a least obtain a prominent scar or two in his fight against Ghidorah.
That's what i'm thinking too. Imo they won't make any major aesthetic changes to him this time (since both movies are pretty close to each other, both in release and chronology), but minor, additional details would be cool. One of the shots from the trailer shows him with a nasty head injury, possibly inflicted by Ghidorah- I think it might be from the end of the movie, and he's gonna have those injuries as scars in GvK.

As for the design itself, I think it looks awesome. Still keeps the basic essence of 2014, while updating it appropriately to make it more Toho-esque. The bigger claws and spines are my favorite fixes.
Maybe he will also develop bright-coloured patches on his brow ridges like between MVG and GTTHM.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

LegendZilla wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

Maybe he will also develop bright-coloured patches on his brow ridges like between MVG and GTTHM.
Hmm...perhaps, but I think this feature would look a little strange on this particular design lol-mainly because of his head shape. If they do find a way to make it work, i'm all for it tho.
I imagine the design for GvK will be pretty much the same as the one from KOTM, but I would love to see some minor updates. Perhaps have a colored outline on his spines Toho-style, like someone suggested on the The speculation thread. But overall, i'm pretty pleased with what we got.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

My only quibble with this design is that they didn’t take the opportunity to give Godzilla’s dorsal plates a lighter shade to help them stand out.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I'd like to see white dorsal spines...but
I'm 110% happy with the design.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!