Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla 2 Composer Announced: Bear McCreary

Post by UltramanGoji »

GalacticPetey wrote:I'm loving the new takes on ifukube's music. Sounds grand as it should, and it's such an iconic aspect of the character and I'm glad it's finally being utilized in an American production.

I've heard some talk of Mothra music as well. Can anyone confirm?
Dougherty might have mentioned during the panel that Mothra's song is incorporated into the soundtrack but I haven't gotten that far yet during my watch of it.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GalacticPetey wrote:I'm loving the new takes on ifukube's music. Sounds grand as it should, and it's such an iconic aspect of the character and I'm glad it's finally being utilized in an American production.

EDIT: Just found the interview where Dougherty confirms it.
Is that a different interview from the panel?

Boy, this is just the WORST week to have finals. :D
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

KaijuCanuck wrote:

I guess it's the Tokyo Comic-Con panel. Interview might be a misnomer but it's just him so it may as well be an interview.

He seems to be saying it's Mothra's Song. That's exciting. Would be cool to get a little of Mahara Mothra and Sacred Springs in there as well.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Damn, does that version of Godzilla's theme sound AWESOME.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I have to say that while I was intrigued by the initial announcement of McCreary doing the score, what little we've heard thus far has honestly already knocked me on my ass.

Just... Goddamn. A much needed shot in the arm.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KaijuCanuck wrote:

Boy, this is just the WORST week to have finals. :D
Nope, during the TCC panel he comes right out and says "Godzilla and Mothra's themes are in the film".

An unfortunate lack of Ghidorah and Rodan theme confirmations... :( I hope they're still there.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

So, this is when I sheepishly reveal a deficit in my fan knowledge - what exactly do people consider the themes of Rodan and King Ghidorah? Because I can only think of one that they kind of share. It’s that one you hear in GvMG2 when Rodan takes off from that rock on the island. Doesn’t that one apply to both of them?

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

KaijuCanuck wrote:So, this is when I sheepishly reveal a deficit in my fan knowledge - what exactly do people consider the themes of Rodan and King Ghidorah? Because I can only think of one that they kind of share. It’s that one you hear in GvMG2 when Rodan takes off from that rock on the island. Doesn’t that one apply to both of them?
I believe these.

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:So, this is when I sheepishly reveal a deficit in my fan knowledge - what exactly do people consider the themes of Rodan and King Ghidorah? Because I can only think of one that they kind of share. It’s that one you hear in GvMG2 when Rodan takes off from that rock on the island. Doesn’t that one apply to both of them?
I believe these.

Hmm. Neither of those are the one I was thinking of. That Rodan one was never used again, was it? And the Ghidorah one - I could maybe see that, but that’s a heisei piece, was it ever used in the showa series?

I don’t have my laptop right now and I can’t post YouTube clips on my phone, but you guys know the one I’m talking about right? It also plays during the city attack in Monster Zero, at the very end of G2K when Godzilla roasts the city, and during the city attack in DAM. That’s the only one I can think of, that is used frequently and across eras similar to the Godzilla and Mothra themes, that might be considered as the ‘main theme’ for either Rodan or Ghidorah.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

What is known as "Rodan's Theme" is actually part of the main title to Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. (Skip to 1:22)

I think it got designated as that because of Destroy All Monsters where it usually plays whenever Rodan flies into attack.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GojiDog wrote:

What is known as "Rodan's Theme" is actually part of the main title to Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. (Skip to 1:22)

I think it got designated as that because of Destroy All Monsters where it usually plays whenever Rodan flies into attack.
YES! That’s the one I’m thinking of. So that’s Rodan’s theme - what the hell is Ghidorah’s theme? Is it that one Mike posted?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

KaijuCanuck wrote:YES! That’s the one I’m thinking of. So that’s Rodan’s theme - what the hell is Ghidorah’s theme? Is it that one Mike posted?
Basically, though without everything after the 1:08 mark. Here's the theme isolated without any excess, courtesy of Invasion of Astro-Monster:

That leitmotif first played during Ghidorah's "birth" from the meteor, and plays in every subsequent Ghidorah appearance afterwards in the Showa era.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ahhhh okay. Thank you. I’m clear on all this now. :D

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Wow. If actual Godzilla fans can't differentiate Rodan and Ghidorah's themes then I have no hope for them being included in this film, lol.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Wow. If actual Godzilla fans can't differentiate Rodan and Ghidorah's themes then I have no hope for them being included in this film, lol.
This was kind of my overall point, yeah. I don’t think they have the same level of association. Personally, I wouldn’t be killed if Ghidorah’s didn’t make it - Rodan’s would be cool to hear though, even if for like a few seconds.

Viento Norte
Yojimbo

Post by Viento Norte »

Soundtrack previews:

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/godzil ... 1460855475

Tomorrow, the whole soundtrack will come out :rimshot:

PD: "Battle in Boston" ost :applause:

Nerd1978
Samurai

Post by Nerd1978 »

Viento Norte wrote:Soundtrack previews:

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/godzil ... 1460855475

Tomorrow, the whole soundtrack will come out :rimshot:

PD: "Battle in Boston" ost :applause:

I still cannot believe they made this movie. G98, I couldn't believe it then, but you know what happened. G14 was great - but we lost something. The music, the sound - it wasn't the same. This, though, it's all there. What music do I want to hear when Godzilla fights ghidorah - it's playing in my mind. I hit the preview of the soundtrack, and it's THERE. They even have mothra's song, which I could care less about but upon hearing it i frigging love it. What kind of people MADE this movie? How did they get a hundred plus million to do what I tried to do in my backyard with toys, fireworks a can of flammable stuff and a lighter? I am forty years old and I'm scared shitless that my kids will see my tear up out of stupid-childhood nostalgic joy when I watch this.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

You can download it through certain services already :)

Mothra's theme isn't too hot, becomes a bit of a cacophony at times. Can't be assed to listen to the rest of it right now.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Thu May 23, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:You can download it through certain services already :)
*cough* inquiring minds are curious to what services...
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Desplat is better
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.