Titan Design Thread: King Ghidorah

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Do You Think?

Love it!
94%
Hate it...
No votes
Meh.
6%

Total votes: 97

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Titan Design Thread: King Ghidorah

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

The King Of Terror is finally here folks, King Ghidorah in all his golden glory! Discuss anything and everything pertaining to everyone's favorite three-headed monster here! Do you like our first Hollywood Monster Zero or do you hate it? Tell us below.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Titan Design Thread: King Ghidorah

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Perfect fan wings, no complaints here
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Post by zilla92 »

It’s been said on Twitter by many. Dougherty is one of us. He’s truly one of us. Ghidorah is perfect.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Easily my 2nd favorite after Godzilla. I literally have no complaints, they hit the nail on the head with this one. It could have been a lot worse, and I was almost expecting it to be Smaugdorah, but the actual design completely blew me away. Updated yet classic. Can't wait to see it in action :)

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

The best Ghidorah has ever looked. No more bizarre squarish appendage on his sides holding his wings to his back, the bottom "fingers" looking properly vestigial while the upper, usable ones are more bat like. Glad they didn't replicate his usual fish fins/geisha fan.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Someone mentioned how Ghidorah may've taken a page out of William Blake's art book.

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It’s a good hybrid of the Showa and Heisei Ghidorah. I like how the wings arc outward and upwards, making Ghidorah look bigger then he already is. They hit it on the head imo.

As much as I hate to bring in the topic, it’s still funny to me how people were upset by the Anime Ghidorah design, when only a few months later we are getting it. I’m kinda glad the anime Ghidorah exists for being unique enough to separate itself and the two Ghidorahs work well together.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

I was afraid they wouldn't use the fan wings and make literal bat wings. Merging the two was an interesting idea.

I would still try to make it closer to the original. Maybe using only two "fingers" instead of four. That way it would be even further from the bat-like look.

And, seriously. And, seriously. Kong have no chance against this perfection. The movies order should be reversed.
Last edited by BrazilianKaiju on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm a little iffy on the heads. Not a big fan of the snouts. The eyes and brows though scream Ghidorah especially the Heisei version. Even the horns are somewhat reminiscent of the Heisei while also doing their own thing. The rest of the body reminds me a lot of GMK and Cretaceous Ghidorahs. Tail tips are almost identical to those of Grand Ghidorah. So yeah it takes a lot of design cues from past Ghidorahs while also making it its own thing. Can't say I love it, would prefer some kind of mane and a different snout design but its a perfectly acceptable take on the character.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I'm really impressed on how big Ghidorah is. And not just his size, but his wingspan as well. My only thing I have is that I wish his actual body/torso was larger/more proportionate.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

His design in this is beautiful. A truly great Ghidorah design. One of the best for sure. Possibly the best overall. If I have one criticism, it's that I would have liked him to have his Showa manes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Probably my new favorite Ghidorah design of them all. This and the Anime Ghidorah, night and day! And easily the best of the 4 new designs

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

GigaBowserG wrote:Someone mentioned how Ghidorah may've taken a page out of William Blake's art book.

Oh I love William Blake's Revelations paintings. I'm surprised that I didn't see that myself, but I do love it.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Makes sense they've brought extra emphasis to his necks and wings considering those are his defining features, even if it downplays the rest of his body - he really looks like he can go and stay airborne despite his massive size.

I still have an aversion to him 'wing walking' but an interesting detail I've noticed is he still has seven 'fingers' in his wings like the classic version. People have pointed out a Heisei influence on the heads but the horns still have some of that Showa crescent/curved shape to them.

His talons look like they makes sense for a flying creature, I can imagine him scooping stuff up midair. All in all I'm very pleasantly surprised given some of the supposed 'leaks' that came out about the design a while back.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Pretty much what I expected, really looking forward to seeing it in action on screen

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

It's an absolute perfect rendition of the great 3 headed dragon. The wing, tails, heads, etc. Perfect. I especially love the head spikes, they definitely give the feelings of crowns for a king. I was never a fan of the Showa hair, so I'm glad they omitted that. Same with the head designs themselves. I was worried each head might be different, as the first poster portrayed. It's a wonderful design, and it depicts power and terror without flaw. I can't wait to see it in motion.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:It's an absolute perfect rendition of the great 3 headed dragon. The wing, tails, heads, etc. Perfect. I especially love the head spikes, they definitely give the feelings of crowns for a king. I was never a fan of the Showa hair, so I'm glad they omitted that. Same with the head designs themselves. I was worried each head might be different, as the first poster portrayed. It's a wonderful design, and it depicts power and terror without flaw. I can't wait to see it in motion.
Tbh I think the horned "spike mane" on this design makes for a pretty nice alternative to the traditional hair mane.
And yeah, I admit that this design is slowly becoming my favorite Ghidorah of them all. I love the perfect balance between the new design details and the classic look, couldn't ask for anything better. I'm hyped as hell to see this one on the big screen, especially if it's as frightening and threatening as the marketing makes it up to be.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I'm a massive Showa shill and the 1964/1965 design will probably always be my favorite Ghidorah design but this is a very close second. I just wish he had some form of manes, but the crown horns are cool enough.
Last edited by KillCrites on Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I don't love any of the designs but they are perfectly acceptable for the most part.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983