Titan Design Thread: Mothra

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Do You Think?

Love it!
70%
Hate it...
5%
Meh.
25%

Total votes: 93

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Re: Titan Design Thread: Mothra

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Love everything except those weird ass horse legs. The eyes are also a touch odd, but I don't mind them as much. Overall can't wait to see her in action.

I also like how this, combined with the trailer, implies she can change her colors.

So, it wasn't Ghidorah that was getting the horse legs after all. It was Mothra.

I like this version of Mothra. My one criticism, and maybe it's different in the movie because this is just a toy, is that I don't see any fuzz on Mothra's body. Classic Mothra has fuzz and so many real moths have fuzz. It's one of the reasons I like moths so much more than butterflies. Cuddly little bastards.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Don't hate it from a design point. Its kind of a neat design but its just not Mothra to me. Nothing about it says Mothra to be. It's better than that shitty drawing that came out, that thing was disgusting, but its still a little too ugly for Mothra. She's far and away the worst thing i've seen from the movie so far.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Pretty bad compared to some of the other Mothra designs we've gotten over the years but I think it'll look fine for this movie.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Genuinely the greatest Mothra has ever looked - although admittedly this coming from someone whose one of all time favorite Godzilla moments is in GMK when Godzilla quickly turns around and blows the hell outta Mothra...cause you know, Mothra sucks. BUT, that could be changing now. As I mentioned previously, this design does look combat capable which is a huge upgrade to this....

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I like the legs, I love the wings - but really not a fan of the tiny body. At least her eyes are large in proportion to her head (compared to the beads that are eyes for KG, Godzilla, and Rodan), I always found Mothra's large eyes as one of her staple design aspects. Kind of wish they looked less... human. I don't really see a large bug in the face, rather some bizarre human/alien hybrid.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The wings look great, and they've basically inversed the traditional big head and little legs with the opposite. I don't hate it at all but it ultimately comes down to how she's depicted onscreen.

I have to admit though I'm leaning more towards the proportions seen in the mural...
https://wikizilla.org/wiki/images/e/e7/ ... arving.JPG
Last edited by tbeasley on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

tbeasley wrote:The wings look great, and they've basically inversed the traditional big head and little legs with the opposite. I don't hate it at all but it ultimately comes down to how she's depicted onscreen.

I have to admit though I'm leaning more towards the proportions seen in the mural...
https://wikizilla.org/wiki/images/e/e7/ ... arving.JPG

That was a perfect design and I'm really disappointed it's not what they went with.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Much more insect-like than the traditional Mothras. I love this redesign, excited to see it on film.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

With Morthra, I feel like this...

Wings: Perfectly beautiful.
Body: Eh...might have strayed a little too far from form.

It's ok, I don't hate it, but I'm not entirely sold on it. But I'm sure that will change soon enough. It's the weakest of the 3.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

Just like a real moth bug she is. Great design seriously I'm seeing these from someone on Deviantart...*thinks hard*

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Sorry, guys, I really dislike this design after thinking for a while.
It just doesn't look like a God or anything like that, it's just a big bug from a 50's american horror movie, it even captures the anatomical inacurracies (in any case anyone want to say something like "muh realism, she's an actual moth").
And don't come with the "It's just a different design, get over it" argument. The anime designs are different designs too, and yet they nailed it in making the monsters look like actual deities, whether you liked them or not.

Yeah, I probably need to see her doing actual stuff and interacting, but right now, I don't like her. Rodan and Goji are the only two guys who got the real work.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destorogoji wrote:Sorry, guys, I really dislike this design after thinking for a while.
It just doesn't look like a God or anything like that, it's just a big bug from a 50's american horror movie, it even captures the anatomical inacurracies (in any case anyone want to say something like "muh realism, she's an actual moth").
And don't come with the "It's just a different design, get over it" argument. The anime designs are different designs too, and yet they nailed it in making the monsters look like actual deities, whether you liked them or not.

Yeah, I probably need to see her doing actual stuff and interacting, but right now, I don't like her. Rodan and Goji are the only two guys who got the real work.
I sort of agree with you, on that it doesn’t look “God like”. But as I said in the Ghidorah thread, bear in mind that this is just a static toy. Mothra’s wings in trailer were already shown to have something special going on. I still think it’s a great redesign though.

Also sortve unrelated, but the fact that the Larva isn’t getting its own SH monster arts toy leads me to believe the Larva will be only a small part of the film, maybe only in that scene with it and Millie.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think the larva is in a similar boat as the first two Shin forms in that they're not revealing it initially because it's kind of a spoiler.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I like her wings, but overall it's okay. I don't care if it's the greatest any of them have looked just because it's literally the latest modern designs. The other three look absolutely fantastic, but Mothra's design I'm not a fan of yet. The Tokyo SOS design is still my favorite Mothra.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Had the same complaint as HeiseiGodzilla117 (sorry got the name wrong at first, I'm an idiot and can't read, haha) above, in that I wish she was hairier/fuzzier because they would be much more moth-like. Would have preferred larger, more oval bug eyes as well. I feel like, for these reasons, that Mothra feels a little too American and loses some of that weirdly unique Japanese qualities that makes Mothra "MOTHRA". Mothra always to me felt vulnerable, sensitive, extremely powerful and even judicious -- yet all at the same time. This incarnation owes a lot more to the MUTOs.. just sort of lacking in personality right now.

That said, there's a lot I love about the design (the eyes especially -- nice inspiration from nature!), and I'm literally judging before I've seen any of the movie. A couple great CGI shots and I'm pretty sure I'll be in love, and again they have a whole movie to establish her character and importance. I applaud them for going bold here.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

erod510
Samurai

Post by erod510 »

Sup guys, been away for a while. For my own thoughts on the new design its grown on me from my first reaction. Yes I was a bit put off in the beginning because it didn't look like the tradition look, even the wing pattern colors are different from almost rainbow colors to autumn colors. But I come to accept after basing its place in the context of the universe. First, her kind probably evolved in ancient/prehistoric times so she does give off that bygone age vibe. Her Muto limbs are an indication that she is a fighter, any insect or arthropod built for combat are usually long legged and pincers in which case her mantis claws . C'mon lets be honest, she's suppose to fight other monsters of all shapes and powers which of course would explain her abilities, she also has a stinger, and the "God Rays", plus her long limbs would come in handy for overhead aerial attacks.

I also have a theory of why she has Muto legs is that perhaps Mothra and Mutos are part of the same Order or Family of super arthropods but diverged into different evolutionary lines along the way, one becoming an enemy of Godzilla, and one evolved to symbiotically coexist with him.
Last edited by erod510 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Keep in mind as well on Mothra’s overall fuzziness: she’s probably a lot fuzzier in the actual movie, than what can be translated on a tiny plastic figure.

Her design has grown on me more over the last few days. Mothra does look a lot more, “hardcore”, yet still beautiful here. She looks like she can hold her own in a head on fight, and even smack Godzilla around, instead of just wildly flapping her wings in his face and hoping for the best. I also think that Mothra’s more angular and aggressive design fits in better in the Monsterverse. If she had her more traditional, rounded and plushie look, compared to the other three, then she probably would have really stuck out, and not in a good way.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

I admit i really like her wings and the pattern they gave her, albeit the body seems still a little iffy for me, but i can understand it given the point was to make her more combat-capable. Anyway, i'm looking forward to seeing her in action.
Last edited by Dino-Mario on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Godzilla165 wrote:Keep in mind as well on Mothra’s overall fuzziness: she’s probably a lot fuzzier in the actual movie, than what can be translated on a tiny plastic figure.

That's what I've been wondering. The color of her body reminds me of many of the moths i've seen around my house. And they're fuzzy. So it does make me curious.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Not my favorite look for Mothra which still goes to Rainbow Mothra but this hit all the points I wanted. Looks vastly different from Toho but you can tell it's Mothra by looking at it.

I do hope it looks a little more fussy in the film but so far it gets a pass from me.

All 4 Titans do get me excited for what the other Titans will look like.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image