Titan Design Thread: Rodan

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Do You Think?

Love it!
97%
Hate it...
No votes
Meh.
3%

Total votes: 71

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Titan Design Thread: Rodan

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

He’s as big as a battleship, and his name is Rodan! Tell us what you think about his design, are you happy with the Hollywood take on our beloved pteranodon or do you hate it? Discuss below!
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:12 am, edited 10 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Titan Design Thread: Rodan

Hmmm...

;)

Admin edit: DO NOT POST LEAKED IMAGES
Last edited by GodEmperorGabara on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

While I didn't mind the birdesque wings with pseudo-feathers, i'm glad they scrapped them in favor of a more traditional Pterosaur-esque shape. Easily my favorite besides Ghidorah and Godzilla, they completely nailed the design imo- a perfect blend between classic and new. I love how his skin is mimicking molten lava, that's rather creative.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote: Image[/center]
I really like how the head looks, especially the "pseudo-teeth" beak. It has a similar menacing looking expression to the one the original suit had.
Last edited by GodEmperorGabara on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Least favorite, but still love it.

Wish they woulda stuck to their guns and retained the faux-feathers.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Hmmm...

[]https://cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbn ... na.png.jpg[/]

;)
Glad they did away with the feathered look, it always gave me more of a vulture vibe, which never really came across as intimidating. Funny how even the modern version scrapped the feathers like the original and Heisei designs. Overall, this one might be my favorite of the bunch. The deep crimson looks fantastic, as does the molten lava texturing on the back of the wings.
Last edited by GodEmperorGabara on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Reminds me of a Showa and Toned down GFW hybrid(similar head).

One thing I like about it is how angular the wings are. You certainly get a good idea of Rodan gliding over everything. I like the skin texture as well. There’s not really much to say about it other then the fact that it uses the right elements.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

I love it. Very loyal to the original. they literally turned the suit into a real creature.

Real spoiler:
Spoiler:
Too bad that's going to be a punching bag for the other monsters if the leak is real.
Last edited by BrazilianKaiju on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Oh yeah props for the details of the wings, with the wings having sortve a molten lava hardening texture.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

I rather liked the more thunderbird/vulture look of that sculpture, but this is fantastic.
. . .

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Definitely happy they stuck to the pterosaur look. I know the monsters are all chimeras, but the less reasons for people to confuse birds and pterosaurs, the better.
As a fan whose first exposure to the franchise was Piperworks' Destroy All Monsters, Heisei Rodan is what I know. The '56 was my favorite, and I never liked the '64 suit. 2019 Rodan easily takes the cake as my favorite rendition of the character.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

He's Rodan. I can't really say much more than that. Successfully captures the essence of the character with only a few minor tweaks and alterations to make it their own. A perfectly acceptable take on the character. Hes probably even more traditional looking than Godzilla.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

Rodan is my favorite out of all of them, and is probably my favorite on the movie. Love the angry red pterodactyl with slight bird-like features look he has.
Last edited by mvp9056 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

I really enjoyed the torn wing aesthetic, an I'm a bit sad its gone, but overall this is a really badass design. There's a lot of personality and story embedded in it, and they did a really great job making him feel like more than just a pterosaur.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Seeing this take on Rodan really makes me hope we get a good ol' fashioned, GTTHM Godzilla vs Rodan fight. He looks so powerful. And, for the first time, his beak looks frightening.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Rodan being a phoenix isn't a bad idea, but I do prefer it if a legendary bird got that design instead. Hopefully, it gets recycled. Besides, I much prefer this version instead. I do find it a little odd that his torso is larger then that of King Ghidorah's, but that could be just me. It's interesting how they made his head smaller and more compact then with the Heisei and Final Wars version. I like it, but I just got used to the aforementioned versions far more as a kind. Also note that he has 2 major head crests and not one. Cleaver.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Looks perfect, possibly the best he's looked since 56. Thank god they went with two horns and not three like Heisei. The magma texturing on his skin is a great detail, I'd love to see him cough up lava/napalm as a surprise attack.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

It's getting the least attention but It's probably the best design out of the 4 monsters. Might be my favorite Rodan.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I love that they based it on the 1956 look, this might end up being my fav design