Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Maritonic »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:Battle for Earth is straight up the worst Godzilla film imo, with MG2 following close behind.
I consider Megaguirus the worst. Hate that film
That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98
Whoa whoa Gigan doesn't deserve that shiit!! Where's goji89?! He'll have a heartattack!
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'll be the one to take the heart attack in goji's place! Gigan's fun!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

You riled the Gigan fans, boy. You don't even realize what you done. Now, things is gonna get messy. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:You riled the Gigan fans, boy. You don't even realize what you done. Now, things is gonna get messy. :)
You're next, Spacegodzilla-lover! #DraintheSwamp
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Alright, in all honesty I haven't watched Gigan in years so I can barely remember it. I just remember disliking it when I did watch it. I'm pretty sure Tokyo S.O.S. was in my top ten back then too so I'll have to just watch it again. Sorry, everyone. :lol:
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dr. Professor wrote: That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98
^^^____^^^^_______^^^^^^^^___________________________
Flatlined.

I mean Ive read some stupid, crazy, mean, ignorant, absurd, funny, ridiculous and wholesome....things here in TK but I have never seen such a post that just breaks all Godzilla norms. I truly believe sir that we all here at TK feel sorry for that opinion (or whatever the hell you call it) and that you seek help immediately.

Gigan has the most memorable scenes in the franchise. Talking Goji and Anguirus, red blood, violent as hell, the corn guy, hippies, giant alien roaches, stock footage galore and the fighting stage is a theme park for crying out loud.....I mean, Jesus....I gotta sit down.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

For shame, Doctor. For shame.

Anyways, here's a whole bunch of confessions at once.

- I don't hate everything to do with Anime Mechagodzilla.
- Mentioned on the Unpopular Opinion thread, but I prefer Hattoi's Godzilla 2000 score to most of Robinson's.
- The one thing that makes me love Godzilla vs Destoryah is the emotional stakes in the kaiju scenes. The final battleisn't "let's hope mean Godzilla stops that meaner monster or humanity doomed" or "lets hope that good monster beats Godzilla", it's a dying father using everything he's got to kill his son's wicked murder. Not to mention the ending.
-

And this one's gonna get me some hate.

I think the Godzilla fandom has a REALLY bad problem putting anything "serious" or "dark" on a pedestal while vehemently critiquing anything light hearted. This is why for so long, the Heisei series was the cream of the crop while Showa film outside of Honda was luckily to be considered passable.

Added in 1 minute 20 seconds:
Note: the last thing is referring to how Son Of Godzilla was considered bad because baby Godzilla, while Godzilla vs Mothra was genuinely considered great. I am not suggesting that people need to stop appreciating Shin and start loving Godzilla's Revenge.

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: I am not suggesting that people need to stop appreciating Shin and start loving Godzilla's Revenge.

That'd be really cool, though. :lol:

But I can't in good conscience steer people away from Shin. It's not my ideal cup of tea (which is not to say I dislike it, because I don't), but I feel that the current experimental phase is important. Godzilla has always changed with the times, and if we want him to stick around, filmmakers will need to break the mold, try new things, and find out what works.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I never thought about it much before, but Shin is a much 'safer' film than fans usually take it to be.

Yes, it's experimental, but it's a one-and-done experiment. It never felt like a movie that was going to change the nature of Godzilla long term, like how GTTHM or RoG made long lasting changes to the character.

Maybe it isn't fair to say that, since Shin -could- have been that kind of movie in different circumstances, and I'm not sure we would know what a true epoch-shifting movie would be if we saw one, but it's hard for me not to look at it this way.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't think we know it was a one-shot yet, though, do we? It made money, and therefore could very well be the start of something. If nothing else, it showed Toho that they can step outside the standard box with Godzilla and still be successful. Time will tell what they decide to do going forward, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:And this one's gonna get me some hate.

I think the Godzilla fandom has a REALLY bad problem putting anything "serious" or "dark" on a pedestal while vehemently critiquing anything light hearted.
Not from me...I fully agree with you.

There is nothing wrong with a kaiju film being serious & dark...BUT...
there is nothing wrong with a kaiju film being campy & fun either.

While I enjoy the entire franchise & its "ups & downs" & "tone shifts"
if I'm being honest with myself & all of you here...its the 70's films that
I enjoy the most...especially vs. Hedorah & vs. MechaGodzilla...hell...
I kind of love vs. Megalon...but that's mainly because MST3K helped
me love it.

While I understand the core of the Godzilla character was to basically
be the living embodiment of nuclear destruction...I have no problem
with him being "Earth's Giant Guard Dog" either.
Last edited by Grievous on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I think the Godzilla fandom has a REALLY bad problem putting anything "serious" or "dark" on a pedestal while vehemently critiquing anything light hearted. This is why for so long, the Heisei series was the cream of the crop while Showa film outside of Honda was luckily to be considered passable.
I'll agree with this. Son of Godzilla is one of the best in the franchise, as far as I'm concerned. I try not to let tone dictate quality, unless it's relevant. Example; Gojira should be dark, considering the theme of the film deals with the atomic bomb.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: I think the Godzilla fandom has a REALLY bad problem putting anything "serious" or "dark" on a pedestal while vehemently critiquing anything light hearted. This is why for so long, the Heisei series was the cream of the crop while Showa film outside of Honda was luckily to be considered passable.
Definitely. And I bet it's because fans desperately want to validate their tastes/liking of the franchise somehow. Which is funny because despite all of the "Heisei is serious" talk it's probably the corniest series because of how badly it tries to play straight certain elements.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: I think the Godzilla fandom has a REALLY bad problem putting anything "serious" or "dark" on a pedestal while vehemently critiquing anything light hearted. This is why for so long, the Heisei series was the cream of the crop while Showa film outside of Honda was luckily to be considered passable.
Definitely. And I bet it's because fans desperately want to validate their tastes/liking of the franchise somehow. Which is funny because despite all of the "Heisei is serious" talk it's probably the corniest series because of how badly it tries to play straight certain elements.
That scene in vs Spacegodzilla where Miki uses her magic plot powers to lift herself and the table into the air always gets to me.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Confession time:

Akane is probably one of my favorite characters in the series.

Bigger confession:

Mark Jackson is my favorite Toho kaiju movie character hands down. It's a damn shame I don't even see the guy even mentioned around here.
#mostunderrated
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Confession time:

Bigger confession:

Mark Jackson is my favorite Toho kaiju movie character hands down. It's a damn shame I don't even see the guy even mentioned around here.
#mostunderrated
Bigger question:

Who the hell are you talking about? What is a Mark Jackson?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji89 wrote:

Bigger confession:

#mostunderrated
Bigger question:

This genius from Dogora. He stole the spotlight of that movie.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
goji89 wrote:

Bigger confession:

#mostunderrated
Bigger question:

Your right.....he is underrated because I dont know him.

Should point out I never watched Dogora..... :huge:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji89 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Bigger question:

-GASP-

And you call yourself a ReEL FAN???

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Bigger question:

You really should check it out. Robert Dunham is a ton of fun as Mark (though it bothers me that everybody uses "Mark" as though it were his family name rather than his given name), he and Yosuke Natsuki have terrific chemistry, and the gang of jewel thieves (including Akiko Wakabayashi and Hideyo Amamoto) are delightful.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.