Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:Zarm brings up some great points, especially regarding the universe the film has built and the practical effects. I'm still not a fan of most of the cast (they're fine actors, but their roles just aren't that memorable) and the film moves aggressively slow for me.

I think one of (not the sole one) the reasons Biollante is rated so highly is the same reason DAM used to be so highly rated back in the late nineties: rarity. Biollante was, for the longest time, one of two Godzilla films never released on DVD in America, so fans built it up in their minds and continue to think that way. That's not to say anyone is wrong for liking it or having it meet their expectations, just that "nostalgia" for the film's rarity might be clouding some of their judgement.
I remember the shift from "meh" to "above average/great" for Biollante in the early 2000s when I was first getting involved with the digital fandom. And it was still available on video at that point. I bought a new copy of the VHS from Sam Goody or Suncoast in late 2002 after my old copy was eaten by an unfriendly VCR. I know it seems like it was unavailable for a long time, and I think that was in large part due to the number of Godzilla flix that made it to DVD before it, but it wasn't off the market for all that long. Like I said, I bought a second copy in 2002 and the DVD/Blu-Ray came out almost ten years later.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I remember back when Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 and Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth were considered top tier, five star Godzilla films.

I can't imagine where we'll be in another ten years in regards to popular opinion.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Was the '92 vs. Mothra ever considered top tier? I know MGII was almost universally considered the best Heisei Godzilla movie in the '90s and maybe early 2000s but I honestly can't recall Western fans having ever regarded Mothra as anything more than average at best.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:Was the '92 vs. Mothra ever considered top tier? I know MGII was almost universally considered the best Heisei Godzilla movie in the '90s and maybe early 2000s but I honestly can't recall Western fans having ever regarded Mothra as anything more than average at best.
I distinctly remember Kaiju HQ giving it a top score and a raving review. It beat out 1984, vs Biollante, and vs Destoroyah.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I distinctly remember Kaiju HQ giving it a top score and a raving review. It beat out 1984, vs Biollante, and vs Destoroyah.
Thank god we don't live in 2005 anymore.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:Was the '92 vs. Mothra ever considered top tier? I know MGII was almost universally considered the best Heisei Godzilla movie in the '90s and maybe early 2000s but I honestly can't recall Western fans having ever regarded Mothra as anything more than average at best.
I think there was a sense that it was a "return to form" after fans were left initially unsatisfied with the more complex and less traditional Biollante and King Ghidorah.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I remember thinking it was cool. But then... I thought vs. SpaceGodzilla was much cooler, so there you go. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

despite it's many problems, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is one of my all time favorite Godzilla films. It's easily in my top 5.
In no order:
-GVKG
-MVG
-Original
-Shin
-GMK

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:I remember thinking it was cool. But then... I thought vs. SpaceGodzilla was much cooler, so there you go. :)
I feel like you and I have polar opposite opinions about Godzilla films haha.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:I remember thinking it was cool. But then... I thought vs. SpaceGodzilla was much cooler, so there you go. :)
I think that makes me the third bowl of porridge, then. My opinions about Godzilla films are just right.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
Well, I did say *thought*, past tense. Obviously, I don't think very highly of Godzilla vs. Mothra now.

...But vs. SpaceGodzilla's still cool. 8-)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I think that makes me the third bowl of porridge, then. My opinions about Godzilla films are just right.
This made me chuckle.

Added in 38 seconds:
Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Well, I did say *thought*, past tense. Obviously, I don't think very highly of Godzilla vs. Mothra now.

...But vs. SpaceGodzilla's still cool. 8-)
Oh I thought you meant in reference to Mechagodzilla II.

I still think Spacegodzilla is the weakest Heisei entry, though. haha.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

SG is the weakest Heisei entry for me. It's close between that and Mothra. The music in Mothra saves it
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

For me, that's MechaGodzilla II (agreed, the music saves Mothra from last). But SpaceGodzilla is second-best- or third, if I am lenient in elevating RoG for its production values despite being one of the most boring things ever committed to celluloid. ;)

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

^Mechagodzilla II is the best heisei film and any other opinion is objectively wrong.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I like MG. Don't love it. I think MG is where the formula started getting stale. And I can't stand stiff puppet Rodan. Sad that they did better with that effect in 1956. And the terrible English speaking actors. Wait maybe I don't like MG. lol.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Battle for Earth is straight up the worst Godzilla film imo, with MG2 following close behind.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Dr. Professor wrote:Battle for Earth is straight up the worst Godzilla film imo, with MG2 following close behind.
I consider Megaguirus the worst. Hate that film
SpaceG92 wrote:

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:Battle for Earth is straight up the worst Godzilla film imo, with MG2 following close behind.
I consider Megaguirus the worst. Hate that film
That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Hey, you leave Gigan out of this! :)
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!