Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:08 pm

That is true for me. Very few Heisei characters stick out in my mind, but the Showa ones are the first that come to my mind.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:58 pm

I find Millennium more pre-eminent in that regard (and pretty much ONLY in that regard ;) ), but Showa comes in a close second.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira-Fan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Godzillian wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:They didn't have much choice when it came to using stock footage. Budgets were pretty tight, and they had to use every trick they had. However, G vs G is a good film with likable characters, an excellent rampage scene, and good monster action.

Exactly. I feel it is a lot easier to forgive the 70's movies sins because the Japanese film industry was not doing well back then. Yet these movies still end up being pretty good and entertaining despite that.

Except money problems dont excuse all the 70s films problems

Care to elaborate?

Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzillian » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:43 am

Tbh I think this film was more ambitious than it had any right to be and that it sinks on the effects side of things. The gross use of barley compatible stock footage really pass things out and is distracting. Perhaps the film would've been better as a 60 min TV special. Cut the stock footage, streamline the plot, and put money to the effects.

Mr. Yellow
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Mr. Yellow » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:54 am

Is it strange that as a kid I rarely noticed the stock footage? When it counted I enjoyed the shots of the new monsters. This was one of my favorites as a kid and is still in my top 10 I’d say. Showa Gigan forever too. I honestly never enjoyed his redesign.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Postby KillCrites » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:03 pm

I really love all the characters and human drama in this but this is like the only movie where the monster action is just completely uninteresting to me. I feel like if it had a bigger budget then this would be one of my absolute favorites.
Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:21 pm

It's funny; having done a lot of work on this one recently... there isn't honestly as much stock footage as there's cracked up to be. Like, there's a huge amount- and the least-compatible- in a 10-minute period during the initial rampage, primarily of Ghidorah destroying things (along with the airplane and maser attacks), although it's integrated pretty thoroughly with new footage. Then, during the battle, there are two stock footage sequences lifted from GTTHM (and even then, re-edited a bit), both of which are only 10-20 seconds, the 20-second-ish sequence of Anguirus vs. Ghidorah from DAM, and a few brief seconds of Godzilla stomping Ghidorah's necks from the same film.

Don't get me wrong- the mismatch of suits and the terrible day-for-night can be jarring (although the first GTTHM sequence is isolated and not up against other footage, and the two GTTHM sequences blend near-seamlessly (the day-for-night is the only real giveaway), so the jarring nature is reduced whenever possible)- but even so, the total runtime is surprisingly low, a few minutes worth of footage at most- and probably only one minute total after the initial Gigan/Ghidorah rampage sequence.

Not to defend it, per se- I was just surprised to find out how comparatively little (and well-integrated when possible) it actually was.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:15 am

This one is probably my least favorite of the 70's...although it still has its moments.

Gigan has an interesting design...and I like that.

The human leads never change their clothes during the entire film...which is kind of funny...
and smelly.
Last edited by Grievous on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Rhedosaurus
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:27 pm

It wasn't until a few years ago did I notice all the stock footage this movie has. That being said, at least it's used well enough.

I really like Gigan's design. Weird and original, yet still somehow grounded. I actually like it far better then the Final Wars version of him. If anything else, the movie is certainly more grounded the Godzilla vs. Hedorah. The battle between Godzilla and Angurius vs King Ghidorah and Gigan is well worth it. What really surprised me is how Gigan is the first of Godzilla's foes to actually make Godzilla bleed.

One of my all time favorites.

Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzillian » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:It wasn't until a few years ago did I notice all the stock footage this movie has. That being said, at least it's used well enough.

Not really, the stock footage is sloppy at best. You have clearly daytime shots trying to be passed for night ones, kaiju that arent in the film appearing, and awkward editing in.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Godzillian wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:It wasn't until a few years ago did I notice all the stock footage this movie has. That being said, at least it's used well enough.

Not really, the stock footage is sloppy at best. You have clearly daytime shots trying to be passed for night ones, kaiju that arent in the film appearing

You guys have no taste, Mothra larva makes the movie.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gailah 1966
Yojimbo

Postby Gailah 1966 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:06 am

As I watched the german version of this movie I found out that they had no speech bubbles and no voices for the monster talk. This made the "talking scenes" much more honest and gave the movie an adult touch compared to the american and japanese versions.

And by the way: this is the movie I watched most of all movies in my life* (so far). It also was my first Godzilla movie (first love <3 ) and still one of the best for my taste until today.

*round about 30 times
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Emiko broke her promise... and therefore saved the world!

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Gailah 1966 wrote:As I watched the german version of this movie I found out that they had no speech bubbles and no voices for the monster talk. This made the "talking scenes" much more honest and gave the movie an adult touch compared to the american and japanese versions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "honest."

Regardless, those speech bubbles in the Japanese version are an aspect of the manga-influence/theme that runs throughout the movie, and their absence in international versions interferes with that throughline.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:58 pm

eabaker wrote:
Gailah 1966 wrote:As I watched the german version of this movie I found out that they had no speech bubbles and no voices for the monster talk. This made the "talking scenes" much more honest and gave the movie an adult touch compared to the american and japanese versions.

I'm not sure what you mean by "honest."

Regardless, those speech bubbles in the Japanese version are an aspect of the manga-influence/theme that runs throughout the movie, and their absence in international versions interferes with that throughline.

Working on it, working on it... :)

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:22 pm

So...serious question...

Why does Godzilla vs. Gigan get more of a "free pass" than Godzilla vs. Megalon?

I mean both films are extremely flawed but enjoyable...but I've never understood the appeal
& fandom love vs. Gigan gets.

Do you think the MST3K episode has anything to do with it?

Like the roles would have been reversed if MSTSK had chosen to riff Gigan instead of Megalon?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Grievous wrote:So...serious question...

Why does Godzilla vs. Gigan get more of a "free pass" than Godzilla vs. Megalon?

I mean both films are extremely flawed but enjoyable...but I've never understood the appeal
& fandom love vs. Gigan gets.

Do you think the MST3K episode has anything to do with it?

Like the roles would have been reversed if MSTSK had chosen to riff Gigan instead of Megalon?

I wouldn't say that Gigan gets a free pass (it has some pretty serious detractors, and nobody calls it anything like a perfect movie), but that it has a lot more going from it. It has more fully realized and entertaining human characters, a better structured plot, a kind of interesting (if not especially meaningful) aesthetic/thematic conceit, and more appealing production design.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 pm

eabaker wrote:I wouldn't say that Gigan gets a free pass (it has some pretty serious detractors, and nobody calls it anything like a perfect movie), but that it has a lot more going from it. It has more fully realized and entertaining human characters, a better structured plot, a kind of interesting (if not especially meaningful) aesthetic/thematic conceit, and more appealing production design.

A fair call...

I just think vs. Megalon is more fun & therefore better.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Grievous wrote:
eabaker wrote:I wouldn't say that Gigan gets a free pass (it has some pretty serious detractors, and nobody calls it anything like a perfect movie), but that it has a lot more going from it. It has more fully realized and entertaining human characters, a better structured plot, a kind of interesting (if not especially meaningful) aesthetic/thematic conceit, and more appealing production design.

A fair call...

I just think vs. Megalon is more fun & therefore better.

I find the kaiju parts of Megalon a little more fun, but the human parts of Gigan a lot more fun.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:46 pm

eabaker wrote:I find the kaiju parts of Megalon a little more fun, but the human parts of Gigan a lot more fun.

I guess...

I mean..."Karate Girlfriend" is pretty cool...
but everyone else is kind of boring to me.

I guess I'll nearly always go with the weird
& strange in the Godzilla franchise...its just
how I roll.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:56 am

Grievous wrote:
eabaker wrote:I find the kaiju parts of Megalon a little more fun, but the human parts of Gigan a lot more fun.

I guess...

I mean..."Karate Girlfriend" is pretty cool...
but everyone else is kind of boring to me.

I guess I'll nearly always go with the weird
& strange in the Godzilla franchise...its just
how I roll.

I definitely also favor the weird and strange - Hedorah is solidly my favorite G-flick of the 70s - but I'd put Gigan in that category as well. :)

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”