Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Greatest Godzilla film of all time?

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes: 57

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Will King of the Monsters be the best Godzilla yet?

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Quite possibly. It's not as if 99% of the Toho films are stiff competition, given the frequent shoddiness of the franchise historically.
How can sloppy Dougherty compete with Ishiro Honda's Criterion Collection certified classics? :)
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

BARAGONBREH wrote:Quite possibly. It's not as if 99% of the Toho films are stiff competition, given the frequent shoddiness of the franchise historically.
Agreed.

Assuming the leaks are true, it could be a great godzilla movie, but the best? Probably not.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

How can it compete with Godzilla's Revenge?

It probably won't even have a talking Minya. And since Minya isn't in the movie, i'd say that's a safe bet!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

At the very least, it seems poised to be the best AMERICAN Godzilla film with potential to be better than most of the Japanese counterparts as well.

But I don't want to get my hopes up.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

BlacktimusPrime wrote:
Agreed.

Assuming the leaks are true, it could be a great godzilla movie, but the best? Probably not.
Pretty hard to top the original. I doubt Hollywood will ever have the guts to give a Godzilla film some real philosophical weight to it like Gojira had. Even though they could - and they should. Though I doubt he'd be interested in the material, it'd be pretty cool to see what someone like Alex Garland would do with Godzilla.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

BARAGONBREH wrote:Pretty hard to top the original.
True, though when discussing best Godzilla movies, I'm honestly of the mind that Gojira should be excluded on a "it literally goes without saying" basis. Otherwise it doesn't allow too much discussion, know what I mean?
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

As the best Godzilla movie ever? No.
Best American Godzilla movie: Hell yeah.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gojira18 wrote:As the best Godzilla movie ever? No.
Best American Godzilla movie: Hell yeah.
I'm of this opinion too- it definitely has the potential of being the best american adaptation of the Godzilla mythos to date :)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

BlacktimusPrime wrote:
True, though when discussing best Godzilla movies, I'm honestly of the mind that Gojira should be excluded on a "it literally goes without saying" basis. Otherwise it doesn't allow too much discussion, know what I mean?
Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

miguelnuva wrote: Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.
How so? Mothra vs Godzilla is a great film on it's own right but it doesn't have the depth of 54. Ghidorah is alright but incredibly rushed in certain aspects.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
miguelnuva wrote: Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.
How so? Mothra vs Godzilla is a great film on it's own right but it doesn't have the depth of 54. Ghidorah is alright but incredibly rushed in certain aspects.
I think he might mean in more objective terms of mass appeal, box office success, and encouraging the creation of more kaiju films.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
I think he might mean in more objective terms of mass appeal, box office success, and encouraging the creation of more kaiju films.
Gojira gives a better message but Mothra vs Godzilla has a better stroy and is more exciting to me and Ghidorah is the quintessential Godzilla film as far as what the franchise as a whole offers.

Only thing Gojira has over the other films in the series to me is that I see it as a oscar type film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

miguelnuva wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Gojira gives a better message but Mothra vs Godzilla has a better stroy and is more exciting to me and Ghidorah is the quintessential Godzilla film as far as what the franchise as a whole offers.

Only thing Gojira has over the other films in the series to me is that I see it as a oscar type film.
Nevermind I was wrong.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

miguelnuva wrote:Both the 64 films topped Gojira especially Mothra vs Godzilla.
While I agree with you, I think the opinion that Gojira is unquestionably the best is so widespread that these discussions should just be labeled "What is the 2nd best Godzilla film?"
Coobzilla03 wrote:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

This topic really is kinda pointless. Its just way too early to ask this question.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

KaijuCanuck wrote: Nevermind I was wrong.
lol yeah....

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

miguelnuva wrote:
BlacktimusPrime wrote:
Uh huh. :roll:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
BlacktimusPrime wrote:
Yeah...no they didn't. Gojira is still the highest peak of the Showa era, and thus far probably the peak of the franchise itself.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Yeah...no they didn't. Gojira is still the highest peak of the Showa era, and thus far probably the peak of the franchise itself.
Yep. Mothra was a children's movie. A decent one, but still a children's movie - and not high-quality, "children's-movie-but-actually-pretty-deep-for-adults" Pixar-style children's movie.

Ghidorah is a decently amusing B movie for people who dig kaiju.

Gojira approached something like art, or at least the closest anyone has thus far gotten to art when making a movie about a giant monster destroying everything.

No contest.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Godzilla '54 has significantly higher attendance numbers than both Mothra vs Godzilla and Ghidorah. But they're all within the top ten of the series.