How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Solia
Samurai

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Solia »

A Godzilla that is hybrid of pretty much every reptiles and sharks. Does that sound silly?
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Gerdzerl wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Oh man I just had the dumbest but best idea ever.

I want a Godzilla salaryman comedy. Have him working in an office building with other kaiju, like a giant monster version of Aggretsuko.
I would watch the poop out that.

...You know what? skreeonk it, I'm turning that into a comic. That idea needs to see the light of day somehow.

Regarding Godzilla's shape being altered, I wonder if Toho would accept a Godzilla that has three fingers or five fingers. I remember that they stipulated that he has to have four fingers back in the '90s, when the first American film was still in production, but I'm not sure if they'd still be insistent on that nowadays.
Yyyyyyyyes, please! I've been dreaming of something like that for a while now! In fact, if I got the chance I'd love to post about it on here sometime.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I dunno, we could have a whole movie of Godzilla on his phone or computer looking at the Internet and the flame wars within it. :lol:
In Soviet Russia, the Internet breaks you!

Actually jokes aside....... at this point I'm sure Toho has thrown around the idea of a "kiddy" animated Godzilla film at least once. Now that would be weird to see! #bringbackgodzilland
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I find the idea incredibly hilarious that the American fanbase could very well know far more about Godzilland than the Japanese fan-base does

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

ROMG4 wrote:I find the idea incredibly hilarious that the American fanbase could very well know far more about Godzilland than the Japanese fan-base does
Eh what can I say, we're unpredictable. :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Making a fusion between Godzilla and Ultraman. A Godzilla with all of his standard abilities, but adding the colors and powers of one of the Ultramen , from telekinesis to an Ultra beam, with only a minor weakness to cold environments/energy beams.
Such a creature would be a weapon to surpass Bagan... or Belial. :lol:
I highly doubt something like this would happen, but I think it would be an interesting concept.
Last edited by Billzilla1974 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Of all conceivable ways Toho or any Japanese filmmaker could re-imagine Godzilla, him being a synapsid is one that I will really be able to settle with.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

LegendZilla wrote:Of all conceivable ways Toho or any Japanese filmmaker could re-imagine Godzilla, him being a synapsid is one that I will really be able to settle with.
Agreed. Godzilla's often-mammal-like features have always been really cool to me, and this would be a compelling explanation for them.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Okay...So...

I'm all for making Godzilla (& Kaiju films in general) weirder & different.

I think the Godzilla franchise has had enough "standard" films in its history
that Toho can start looking "Outside of the Box" for possible ideas for the
series.

Lets be honest...Godzilla isn't really a hard character to get right.

I mean you can complain about Shin Gojira all you want...but by the end
of the film...he was Godzilla...even after the mutating forms & purple
laser light show...he was still, at the very core Godzilla.

(By the way...I loved Shin Gojira...they had the Japanese version with subtitles
in cinemas here in my home town & I was there opening day)

I believe as long as a Godzilla film gets Godzilla right...there is a lot of leeway
as to what else you can serve up.

Now...as far as my own ideas go...well...

I'd love to see a Godzilla film set during the Sengoku Period...perhaps
over the course of several major battles from that time.

We could follow the story from the point of view of Nobunaga Oda, Hideyoshi Toyotomi &
Leyasu Tokugawa as Japan is unified...and have a smaller, non-nuclear powered version of
Godzilla (he still breathes fire of course) show up during the Battles of:
Okehazama (The Oda clan discover & bait Godzilla into attacking which leads to their victory)
Nagashino (in which Godzilla destroys (and eats!) the Takeda Cavalry again leading to another victory for the Oda Clan)
Honnō-ji (in which Godzilla burns the temple to ashes while Mitsuhide duels with Nobunaga)
Odawara (in which Hideyoshi lures Godzilla to attack the Hojo clan & lay waste to Odawara castle)
Sekigahara (in which Godzilla turns on both armies but the Eastern Army eventually claims victory)
& finally
Osaka (& which finally leaves the Tokugawa in power as Godzilla returns to the sea)

Basically...I love the Kurosawa film Kagemusha...and I want to see an undated version that...
but with Godzilla in it.

It would basically be a celebration of the Kaiju & Samurai films Toho has made in the past...basically
a Historical War drama...with Godzilla in it.

Is that idea "weird" enough?
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Solia wrote:A Godzilla that is hybrid of pretty much every reptiles and sharks. Does that sound silly?
After all we've seen not at all in fact that is probably the most change to do but I think Legendary and Shin already covered that though.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Grievous wrote:Okay...So...

I'm all for making Godzilla (& Kaiju films in general) weirder & different.

I think the Godzilla franchise has had enough "standard" films in its history
that Toho can start looking "Outside of the Box" for possible ideas for the
series.

Lets be honest...Godzilla isn't really a hard character to get right.

I mean you can complain about Shin Gojira all you want...but by the end
of the film...he was Godzilla...even after the mutating forms & purple
laser light show...he was still, at the very core Godzilla.

(By the way...I loved Shin Gojira...they had the Japanese version with subtitles
in cinemas here in my home town & I was there opening day)

I believe as long as a Godzilla film gets Godzilla right...there is a lot of leeway
as to what else you can serve up.

Now...as far as my own ideas go...well...

I'd love to see a Godzilla film set during the Sengoku Period...perhaps
over the course of several major battles from that time.

We could follow the story from the point of view of Nobunaga Oda, Hideyoshi Toyotomi &
Leyasu Tokugawa as Japan is unified...and have a smaller, non-nuclear powered version of
Godzilla (he still breathes fire of course) show up during the Battles of:
Okehazama (The Oda clan discover & bait Godzilla into attacking which leads to their victory)
Nagashino (in which Godzilla destroys (and eats!) the Takeda Cavalry again leading to another victory for the Oda Clan)
Honnō-ji (in which Godzilla burns the temple to ashes while Mitsuhide duels with Nobunaga)
Odawara (in which Hideyoshi lures Godzilla to attack the Hojo clan & lay waste to Odawara castle)
Sekigahara (in which Godzilla turns on both armies but the Eastern Army eventually claims victory)
& finally
Osaka (& which finally leaves the Tokugawa in power as Godzilla returns to the sea)

Basically...I love the Kurosawa film Kagemusha...and I want to see an undated version that...
but with Godzilla in it.

It would basically be a celebration of the Kaiju & Samurai films Toho has made in the past...basically
a Historical War drama...with Godzilla in it.

Is that idea "weird" enough?
It's unconventional, yeah. But I'm piling money on top of my phone, and this concept isn't becoming a movie. Why? :(
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:It's unconventional, yeah. But I'm piling money on top of my phone, and this concept isn't becoming a movie. Why? :(
I...I don't understand what you're saying...

I'm confused.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Oh... You know, like "I'm throwing money at my screen, and X isn't happening?" Its a fairly common joke, I thought...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:Oh... You know, like "I'm throwing money at my screen, and X isn't happening?" Its a fairly common joke, I thought...
Oh...I see...I understand now.

Remember I'm Australian...so some jokes are "lost
in translation"

Yes...that's going to be my regular excuse around here.

:thumbsup:

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Man, I would love to see a nice period piece with Godzilla in it. Like, Feudal Japan type of period piece. They could even work around the mutant/radioactive abomination aspect of Godzilla’s character, and instead have him be a mythical evil creature/deity from legends told to children in order to scare them.

#BotM

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzilla165 wrote:Man, I would love to see a nice period piece with Godzilla in it. Like, Feudal Japan type of period piece. They could even work around the mutant/radioactive abomination aspect of Godzilla’s character, and instead have him be a mythical evil creature/deity from legends told to children in order to scare them.
Have you seen the Daimajin trilogy?

I think you'd enjoy those.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ I still haven’t for some odd reason! But I’ve heard some good things about those movies; I’ll have to check them out.

#BotM

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzilla165 wrote:^ I still haven’t for some odd reason! But I’ve heard some good things about those movies; I’ll have to check them out.
Like I said...they sound like your "cup of tea" but I'm not
going to over hype them. Just letting you know they are
out there.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I'd like to see Godzilla be a mutant of a last type of dinosaur. This group was an amphibious type of allosaurid that survived into the end of the Cretaceous and survived the impact. The radioactive material the asteroid kicked up by piercing dense rock and other material was strwn around the planet and this species survived in the sea. It would come on land to scavenge and adapted to the radiation, growing bigger and mutating a bit. They survived into the modern day albeit very rare. The H bomb transformed one into Godzilla. So a further mutation. Think that works...

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

imposterzilla wrote:I'd like to see Godzilla be a mutant of a last type of dinosaur. This group was an amphibious type of allosaurid that survived into the end of the Cretaceous and survived the impact. The radioactive material the asteroid kicked up by piercing dense rock and other material was strwn around the planet and this species survived in the sea. It would come on land to scavenge and adapted to the radiation, growing bigger and mutating a bit. They survived into the modern day albeit very rare. The H bomb transformed one into Godzilla. So a further mutation. Think that works...
That is exactly what he was in the Heisei.