How Would You Improve the Anime Saga?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Re: How Would You Improve the Anime Saga?

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Well for starters I would make it completely different.

goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Well for starters I would make it completely different.

^This guy gets it.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Tbh I actually like the idea of an anime centered around a Houtua/local protagonist trying to survive in a monster infested planet, with flashbacks to the events of both novels taking place from time to time. Make it a series instead of a full fledged movie trilogy, give it to a better animation company, have directors and writers who know shit about writing good characters and the franchise, remove the badly done pseudo relligious and anti technology bullcrap, make an actual monster planet with more inhabitans than just Godzilla, make them more expressive and lively and portray them as an actual threat that humanity needs to learn how to deal with.
I think it could make for a rather nice survival-horror type series.

Saltmons
Samurai

Post by Saltmons »

Actually resolve the plot at the end
I'm a toku fan first and a kaiju fan second.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Bring people who actually know about Godzilla

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

First, I would edit the part one and two together into one film. Cut down a lot of the scenes on the main ship. Get rid of the part where we learn about Servum being creatures that split off Godzilla, make them their own thing. Add a bit where the Houtua sees the ships land. keep the part with where they kill Godzilla Filius, have it that Godzilla earth takes out most of the landing part and have him hunt down the rest out of revenge. you know something for him to actually do. keep most of the part where landing meets the Houtua, and find Mechagodzilla city. I would try to keep the fight the same, but have Mechagodzilla city try to eat Godzilla, like a metal version of the blob. have Godzilla beat Mechagodzilla city, and afterward fall into a coma.

And I would know what to do with the third part as I haven't seen it yet. so here's my idea, I tried to make so if it was done this way, people who liked and those who didn't can get something out of it they can both like.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Plunge it into full overdrive. Biggest thing holding the movie back was it never went full in

Replace and add Nanomachines TO EVERYTHING

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

ROMG4 wrote:Plunge it into full overdrive. Biggest thing holding the movie back was it never went full in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMsboqMMzs
Everything's better with a Metal Gear reference 8-)

Actually, I think you just pointed out one of the trilogy's biggest flaws: it took itself too seriously. I know we've been over this before, but even with a guy like Urobochi on board I would have expected them to have at least a little more fun with a hard sci-fi Godzilla flick.
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:Plunge it into full overdrive. Biggest thing holding the movie back was it never went full in

Actually, I think you just pointed out one of the trilogy's biggest flaws: it took itself too seriously. I know we've been over this before, but even with a guy like Urobochi on board I would have expected them to have at least a little more fun with a hard sci-fi Godzilla flick.
I know and it's honestly sort of crazy to me. Anime is a medium known to just be total bonkers and I get that a great number of slow and serious animes have been done. However I mean we are talking about Godzilla the basic plot had so much potential

A advanced Human civilization thousands of years in the future coming back to retake Earth. Yet the only monsters we ever see are the generic Dragon things

I feel like it tried to emulate the style of Shin Godzilla too much which is pretty similar to WB's attempts to replicate the Dark Knight with their various DC projects

The thing is it wasn't Shin Godzilla's seriousness or darkness that made it so good it was that the film itself was really, really, good. It had a great mix of great cast and filmmakers it just so happened that the film's style was Dark.

I am worried that what Toho got out of Shin Godzilla was that the key to finanical success is being super serious and I don't know

It's not even consistent either. The film tries to be serious and yet has the characters engage Godzilla in crazy anime fashion with space bikes. It feels almost at war with itself. Honestly they just completely wasted the first ever anime Godzilla trilogy by restricting themselves and killing all creativity.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

ROMG4 wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:

I know and it's honestly sort of crazy to me. Anime is a medium known to just be total bonkers and I get that a great number of slow and serious animes have been done. However I mean we are talking about Godzilla the basic plot had so much potential

A advanced Human civilization thousands of years in the future coming back to retake Earth. Yet the only monsters we ever see are the generic Dragon things

I feel like it tried to emulate the style of Shin Godzilla too much which is pretty similar to WB's attempts to replicate the Dark Knight with their various DC projects

The thing is it wasn't Shin Godzilla's seriousness or darkness that made it so good it was that the film itself was really, really, good. It had a great mix of great cast and filmmakers it just so happened that the film's style was Dark.

I am worried that what Toho got out of Shin Godzilla was that the key to finanical success is being super serious and I don't know

It's not even consistent either. The film tries to be serious and yet has the characters engage Godzilla in crazy anime fashion with space bikes. It feels almost at war with itself. Honestly they just completely wasted the first ever anime Godzilla trilogy by restricting themselves and killing all creativity.
Precisely! I'll admit that I'm a Ghibli lover and that I loved their more down to earth films like Whisper of the Heart or Only Yesterday as much as their Nausicaa's and Spirited Away's. But the big difference between still-life anime like those and these movies is that one is exactly what it says it is: still-life. The other promises a dynamic new vision of Godzilla but settles for otherwordly set pieces, stiff and repetitive action sequences, and ponderous dialogue that goes on a little too long. I know that Urobochi and the directors had their orders from TOHO (which basically amounted to "stop having fun"), but you'd think the guy who wrote series as insane as Madoka Magica and Kamen Rider Gaim could mix things up a little!

And thank you for reminding of another improvement I would like to make: different animation studio or different art style. Preferably, khara (y'know the one!). I admit that Evangelion's not my thing, but from what I saw of the Rebuild films, their blending of 2D and 3D is phenomanal and is exactly what these movies could have used. For example, by using more 2D animation for the characters, we could have had more organic expressions from the characters and monsters and it would reduce the polygon count in the final movie. Less polygons mean more freedom with 3D animation, which means more props and creatures that could be created with 3D. Either that or Trigger because as Darling in the FranXX and SSSS.Gridman prove, they can handle kaiju action, medium mixing, AND pretentious storytelling! (Heck they even got Matt Frank's approval! http://spankzilla85.tumblr.com/post/170 ... studio-can)

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
ROMG4 wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:

Precisely! I'll admit that I'm a Ghibli lover and that I loved their more down to earth films like Whisper of the Heart or Only Yesterday as much as their Nausicaa's and Spirited Away's. But the big difference between still-life anime like those and these movies is that one is exactly what it says it is: still-life. The other promises a dynamic new vision of Godzilla but settles for otherwordly set pieces, stiff and repetitive action sequences, and ponderous dialogue that goes on a little too long. I know that Urobochi and the directors had their orders from TOHO (which basically amounted to "stop having fun"), but you'd think the guy who wrote series as insane as Madoka Magica and Kamen Rider Gaim could mix things up a little!

And thank you for reminding of another improvement I would like to make: different animation studio or different art style. Preferably, khara (y'know the one!). I admit that Evangelion's not my thing, but from what I saw of the Rebuild films, their blending of 2D and 3D is phenomanal and is exactly what these movies could have used. For example, by using more 2D animation for the characters, we could have had more organic expressions from the characters and monsters and it would reduce the polygon count in the final movie. Less polygons mean more freedom with 3D animation, which means more props and creatures that could be created with 3D. Either that or Trigger because as Darling in the FranXX and SSSS.Gridman prove, they can handle kaiju action, medium mixing, AND pretentious storytelling! (Heck they even got Matt Frank's approval! http://spankzilla85.tumblr.com/post/170 ... studio-can)
I think you guys nailed one of my main issues with the trilogy, it is WAY too serious! I think saying that the anime trilogy is to Shin Godzilla what the DCEU is to The Dark Knight is a good comparison (with the exception of Wonder Woman because of its balanced tone, and maybe Suicide Squad and Justice League, and that's just because both films are very incosistent tonally-speaking, in that they don't know if they are serious or comedy films, so pretty much we are gonna use only MoS and BvS), they are trying to emulate the success of Shin, but they seem to forgot that Shin wasn't a critical success just because of being dark, its because it was a great film with likeable characters, excellent writing, great direction, and even though it has its moments of seriousness, it also was funny and had a lot of satire about the bureaucracy. These films don't have any of those elements, so the super-serious tone of this trilogy dosen't work as much as they could have wanted to. You can take these films seriously and still have elements of fun in them in order to make everything not so heavy. And even then, Urobuchi put some fun elements in Madoka Magica or Fate Zero, so the fact that these films seem to be content with being joyless and pretentious without any moments of levity is my guess.

While I could also pick Studio Trigger to do the animation for these films rather than Polygon and I agree that making these films closer to something like SSSS. Gridman could work, I coun't make these films closer to something like Darling in the FranXX. I think that anime is just as if not more pretentious than the anime trilogy, hell, it even makes Elfen Lied look like Citizen Kane in comparison, it is like Kill La Kill but if it took itself too seriously for its own good. I think a Godzilla anime with the style of Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann could work much better.

About some of the changes I could make about the films, it could be a series rather than a trilogy by adapting the novels, the characters and monsters would be more compelling, it will not heavily rely on world-building too much, and I could have combined both POTM and COTEOB as two-parts episodes (altough I could have made Haruo be close to how he was in COTEOB rather than the character we saw in POTM so he would end up having a better reputation in the fandom that he has now) before the series finale, which it will be Planet Eater, make the series more about the Houtua Twins perspective about what's going on, and have a better animation studio.
Last edited by MrGoji1999 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Don’t make Godzilla a plant-based creature.
Make Mechagodzilla not look like Mogera.
Give Haruo more emotions than just anger.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I would have enjoyed actually seeing the "Anime" version of MechaGodzilla...
I absolutely adore the design & the idea of it shifting into different weapon
modes was really cool.

I know a lot of fans aren't happy with the Anime trilogy...but for me...I don't
mind them. I see them more as an experiment...and I'm always happy to see
the Godzilla franchise "experiment" & try something different.

And for the record that doesn't include 1998...that wasn't an experiment...
that was a mistake...big difference.

Could they be better? Of course...every film could be better (apart from
Citizen Kane that is) but honestly...I'm just happy they were made.

We went 10 years without a Godzilla film...so we need to enjoy the films
we do get...even if they aren't exactly what we want.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

MrGoji1999 wrote: I think you guys nailed one of my main issues with the trilogy, it is WAY too serious! I think saying that the anime trilogy is to Shin Godzilla what the DCEU is to The Dark Knight is a good comparison (with the exception of Wonder Woman because of its balanced tone, and maybe Suicide Squad and Justice League, and that's just because both films are very incosistent tonally-speaking, in that they don't know if they are serious or comedy films, so pretty much we are gonna use only MoS and BvS), they are trying to emulate the success of Shin, but they seem to forgot that Shin wasn't a critical success just because of being dark, its because it was a great film with likeable characters, excellent writing, great direction, and even though it has its moments of seriousness, it also was funny and had a lot of satire about the bureaucracy. These films don't have any of those elements, so the super-serious tone of this trilogy dosen't work as much as they could have wanted to. You can take these films seriously and still have elements of fun in them in order to make everything not so heavy. And even then, Urobuchi put some fun elements in Madoka Magica or Fate Zero, so the fact that these films seem to be content with being joyless and pretentious without any moments of levity is my guess.

While I could also pick Studio Trigger to do the animation for these films rather than Polygon and I agree that making these films closer to something like SSSS. Gridman could work, I coun't make these films closer to something like Darling in the FranXX. I think that anime is just as if not more pretentious than the anime trilogy, hell, it even makes Elfen Lied look like Citizen Kane in comparison, it is like Kill La Kill but if it took itself too seriously for its own good. I think a Godzilla anime with the style of Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann could work much better.

About some of the changes I could make about the films, it could be a series rather than a trilogy by adapting the novels, the characters and monsters would be more compelling, it will not heavily rely on world-building too much, and I could have combined both POTM and COTEOB as two-parts episodes (altough I could have made Haruo be close to how he was in COTEOB rather than the character we saw in POTM so he would end up having a better reputation in the fandom that he has now) before the series finale, which it will be Planet Eater, make the series more about the Houtua Twins perspective about what's going on, and have a better animation studio.
Thanks for the backup, MrGoji1999. I would've preferred it they had made this into a TV series as well. I don't know which would take more time to produce between a 6-hour movie trilogy and a 20+ episode series, but it could still have done the job of holding us over for a couple years until Legendary's sequels got here. Plus, if they went with your idea of making the first two films into two parters and giving Haruo a conscious earlier on it would have gone even better! (And thank you for reminding me I need to see Gurren-Lagann :) )

However, I think Grievous has a good point, too.

Added in 8 minutes 21 seconds:
Grievous wrote:I would have enjoyed actually seeing the "Anime" version of MechaGodzilla...
modes was really cool.

While I'm still a little cranky that the filmmakers were talking up this new MechaGodzilla's abilities so much and then showed absolutely none of that in the finished film, this sums up all arguments about the movie--good and bad.

These movies were just an experiment, and even if they failed to most of us, there are still those who enjoyed the new take on Godzilla mythos; and they haven't done any long-term damage to the franchise's reputation so it's not like Godzilla is cancelled because of an uneven spinoff. Plus, we're still getting new Godzilla movies almost every year now, which is still better than entire decade without anything.

So, yes, this was an experiment. Did it go the way we wanted it to? Maybe not. But the postitives still outweigh the negatives.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to do what any rational fan would do and come up with a fixficmove on to the next thing and enjoy my life.

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

Titanoterror98 wrote: Thanks for the backup, MrGoji1999. I would've preferred it they had made this into a TV series as well. I don't know which would take more time to produce between a 6-hour movie trilogy and a 20+ episode series, but it could still have done the job of holding us over for a couple years until Legendary's sequels got here. Plus, if they went with your idea of making the first two films into two parters and giving Haruo a conscious earlier on it would have gone even better! (And thank you for reminding me I need to see Gurren-Lagann :) )

However, I think Grievous has a good point, too.

Added in 8 minutes 21 seconds:
Grievous wrote:I would have enjoyed actually seeing the "Anime" version of MechaGodzilla...
modes was really cool.

While I'm still a little cranky that the filmmakers were talking up this new MechaGodzilla's abilities so much and then showed absolutely none of that in the finished film, this sums up all arguments about the movie--good and bad.

These movies were just an experiment, and even if they failed to most of us, there are still those who enjoyed the new take on Godzilla mythos; and they haven't done any long-term damage to the franchise's reputation so it's not like Godzilla is cancelled because of an uneven spinoff. Plus, we're still getting new Godzilla movies almost every year now, which is still better than entire decade without anything.

So, yes, this was an experiment. Did it go the way we wanted it to? Maybe not. But the postitives still outweigh the negatives.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to do what any rational fan would do and come up with a fixficmove on to the next thing and enjoy my life.
Thanks, Titanoterror98! After thinking about both anime films, I think if the Haruo of POTM was the one we got in COTEOB it could had made him fare a little better with the fanbase, especially since I'm seeing many people comparing him in a negative way to other anime character that are focused on getting revenge on someone (like Eren Jaeger with the Titans). And yeah, you need to see Gurren-Lagann, is extremely fun and a good example of an anime with kaijus and mechas :)

I also think that Grievous has a point; I don't like these films, but I can't deny they weren't certainly an interesting experiment, it has people who enjoyed these films, which is really good to see, and they are harmless, its not gonna do any significant damage to the franchise whatsoever. We can't go on and on about our problems with the trilogy every single day, so the best thing to do is just relax and move on with our lives :D.
Last edited by MrGoji1999 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Titanoterror98 wrote:However, I think Grievous has a good point, too.
Cheers...
MrGoji1999 wrote:I also think that Grievous has a point; I don't like these films, but I can't deny they weren't certainly an interesting experiment, it has people who enjoyed these films, which is really good to see, and they are harmless, its not gonna do any significant damage to the franchise whatsoever. We can't go on and on about our problems with the trilogy every single day, so the best thing to do is just relax and move on with our lives :D.
And that's the key...

These anime films don't "damage" the franchise in any way.

Too many other film franchises out there are being "dragged through the Mud"
by having new films produced by people who don't seem to understand or even
like the material they are working with...

Aliens...
Predator...
Terminator...
Jurassic Park...
Star Wars...
Pacific Rim...(Which should have never even been a franchise)

All these franchises have been damaged or at least tainted by their most recent
entries...while these Godzilla Anime films have done nothing to actually harm
the brand itself.

Even when the anime films were first announced I didn't really care...because
in my mind I just viewed them as an experiment...something different for Toho
to try.

Its actually shocking to think that Toho never decided to make an Animated Godzilla
film before...I mean...animation has no limitations in regards to the story you are
trying to tell...I mean just look at the IDW comic run as an example of what I'm
talking about.

Could these anime films have been better? Yes...of course they could have.

Are they a harmless experiment that can either be embraced or ignored? Yes.

There maybe fans on here that don't even count them as "proper" Godzilla films...
but hey...every fan has that choice.
Last edited by Grievous on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

Grievous wrote: And that's the key...

Aliens...
Predator...
Terminator...
Jurassic Park...
Star Wars...

the brand itself.

to try.

Its actually shocking to think that Toho never decided to make an Animated Godzilla
film before...I mean...animation has no limitations in regards to the story you are
trying to tell...I mean just look at the IDW comic run as an example of what I'm
talking about.

There maybe fans on here that don't even count them as "proper" Godzilla films...
THIS. Pretty much this.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

And that's the key...

Aliens...
Predator...
Terminator...
Jurassic Park...
Star Wars...

the brand itself.

to try.

talking about.

An actually RATIONAL argument??
But yeah, agreed. I may be the furthest thing to a fan of these anime Godzilla films as possible, but they haven't destroyed the franchise.... yet :lol:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MrGoji1999 wrote: THIS. Pretty much this.

Thank you kindly...
Gojira18 wrote: An actually RATIONAL argument??
But yeah, agreed. I may be the furthest thing to a fan of these anime Godzilla films as possible, but they haven't destroyed the franchise.... yet :lol:
Yeah...I'm one of those rational, open minded people who
is willing to accept the views & opinions of others.

Godzilla as a intellectual property/franchise is pretty hard
to get wrong...and honestly...only once since 1954 has it
been completely bungled to the point of disowning it.

For me personally the Godzilla franchise should take more
risks & be more creative...because all you have to do in a
Godzilla film is get Godzilla right...and once you do that...
you can build whatever elements you want around Godzilla
& still keep the fans happy (for the most part).
Last edited by Grievous on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

There's a lot I would do to improve this terrible trilogy (and in fact, I plan to post later a more detailed version of this thing)

But for now, I think this one is good enough.

Basically, keep the power level between the novels and the movies consistent.

In the novels, Young Godzilla is already presented as the most powerful Godzilla, with showing time and time again incredible displays of power, such as surviving 2000 nukes going on top of him alongside the Himalayan mountains, destroying said Himalayan plate, fucking blowing up a Moon massed asteroid etc.

And yet, in the film...there simply isn't that display. And that's supossed to be Godzilla after 20,000 years of becoming stronger.

And so, alongside previously mentioned having Mechagodzilla fight Godzilla in CoToB, have it so that they have a heavy close combat battle, but that every time an energy attack from either side it's fired, it looks like this

That's one of the advantages of animation in fights. Unlike Live Action, you can really display the inmense power of a character, and make it look terryifing.

Just imagine Haruo screaming Galu-Gu to stop, not only because of the nanometal thing, but because in his crazed fight with Godzilla, he's literally tearing off chunk of the landmass, and even from continents away, and this needs to stop because at this point there won't even be an Earth left
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home