Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzillian wrote:
TyrantGojira wrote:Something has been bugging me about the nanometal. They say that it’s inherently evil because they were made with Godzilla’s cells. But if we’re going off with what the movie implies, we could assume that Godzilla himself is an extension of the planet itself. If both of these are the case.... the would that imply that the earth itself is evil?
Earth is neither good nor evil, it just wants to live. Whether you think its acting good or evil is based on your POV.
Spoiler:
Godzilla Earth did nothing wrong
Humans need to mess up the Earth to live comfortable, the Earth created Godzilla to heal itself. From a human point of view this makes Godzilla, naonmetal made from his cells and the earth in a way evil to humans.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I don’t think it was the Godzilla cells that made Mechagodzilla “evil”, I think it was the technology aspect :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Movie is basically Luddite so yep, it's all evil technology.... -___-
I'm sorry but this moral is always extremely preachy and holier-than-thou to me. Humanity has been changing its environment and ecosystem since humanity was a thing. It doesn't take agriculture, sedentary lifestyles, or advanced technology.

Also does little to explain why Godzilla killed Battra and Mothra in the prequel novels when by all accounts, they should have been trying to help the world as well.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Desghidorah wrote:Movie is basically Luddite so yep, it's all evil technology.... -___-
Also does little to explain why Godzilla killed Battra and Mothra in the prequel novels when by all accounts, they should have been trying to help the world as well.
So very much this! The whole Luddite evils-of-technology and technology-is-evil "moral" feels half-baked and poorly thought through (such lessons almost always do); so it fits right in with the rest of the ideas they've come up with!
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I read the leak a couple days ago and I'm still trying to process all that got crammed into it. As much as I'd love to tear into it now, I'm going to reserve judgement and wait until it comes out on Netflix to see how it plays out firsthand. But to be honest, I'm not really looking forward to it. Yeah, that doesn't sound fair, but I've been doing some soul-searching and I'm starting to think that these movies just aren't for me. I don't think that they're the worst godzilla movies ever made nor do I think anime movies ever made. They just aren't the kind of movies that I like to watch.

There I said it.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Titanoterror98 wrote:I read the leak a couple days ago and I'm still trying to process all that got crammed into it. As much as I'd love to tear into it now, I'm going to reserve judgement and wait until it comes out on Netflix to see how it plays out firsthand. But to be honest, I'm not really looking forward to it. Yeah, that doesn't sound fair, but I've been doing some soul-searching and I'm starting to think that these movies just aren't for me. I don't think that they're the worst godzilla movies ever made nor do I think anime movies ever made. They just aren't the kind of movies that I like to watch.

There I said it.
Why read shaky leaks when you could read an in-depth review?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:I read the leak a couple days ago and I'm still trying to process all that got crammed into it. As much as I'd love to tear into it now, I'm going to reserve judgement and wait until it comes out on Netflix to see how it plays out firsthand. But to be honest, I'm not really looking forward to it. Yeah, that doesn't sound fair, but I've been doing some soul-searching and I'm starting to think that these movies just aren't for me. I don't think that they're the worst godzilla movies ever made nor do I think anime movies ever made. They just aren't the kind of movies that I like to watch.

There I said it.
Why read shaky leaks when you could read an in-depth review?
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Well, I checked it out and while it makes more sense than the leak, it still doesn't change my opinion.
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

New trailer out for Planet Eater:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHOO4o5hiI
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well we got a big ole article on the third movie's ending.

http://biggestinjapan.com/index.php/201 ... gPINUb5WyA

All I will say is that it sounds really solid and profound on paper but considering how many ideas I love on paper but found lackluster in execution.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Well we got a big ole article on the third movie's ending.

http://biggestinjapan.com/index.php/201 ... gPINUb5WyA

All I will say is that it sounds really solid and profound on paper but considering how many ideas I love on paper but found lackluster in execution.
Yeah, this sounds great but I do sadly doubt it's execution. We shall see.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Would you guys blame me if I said I lost all enthusiasm for these movies?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Titanoterror98 wrote:Would you guys blame me if I said I lost all enthusiasm for these movies?
Nope, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't care that this one's coming out. I'm far more excited for KOTM at the moment to care.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Titanoterror98 wrote:Would you guys blame me if I said I lost all enthusiasm for these movies?
Not really. I have next to no excitement or enthusiasm for the last film. I'll watch it when it drops on Netflix, sure; but I highly doubt it's going to do much for me.
I've watched both of the other two so far once. With the English dub, maybe, at some point, I'll get to the sub too, but it is nowhere near important enough to really care.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Nope, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't care that this one's coming out. I'm far more excited for KOTM at the moment to care.
Same. I'd rather have a new Godzilla movie that's familiar and exciting that I have to wait 5 months rather than a meandering space opera that takes everything you know about Godzilla and throws it out the window to... discuss mortality and humanity. At length. Not that I don't mind a fresh take on Godzilla, it's just that this direction isn't one I felt like taking.

Added in 9 minutes 28 seconds:
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote: Not really. I have next to no excitement or enthusiasm for the last film. I'll watch it when it drops on Netflix, sure; but I highly doubt it's going to do much for me.
I've watched both of the other two so far once. With the English dub, maybe, at some point, I'll get to the sub too, but it is nowhere near important enough to really care.
I think I will too, just out of my commitment to Godzilla. Like, I really wanted to like these movies, but I just cannot convince myself to like these kinds of movies. (I take great issue with anything that goes to great lengths to tell me how crappy life is.) Not helping is that for such a bold new take on Godzilla, he and the other kaiju almost feel like an afterthought. I had similar problems with Godzilla 2014, but the big difference was that while Godzilla didn't have a very big presence on the story, he felt like the most natural and most alive version of Godzilla I had seen in years, and that the story had a great third act and some interesting sympathetic human characters. I have yet to find any life, excitement, optimism, or sympathy in these movies.
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

No, I don´t blame you for not having enthusiasm for these films, Titano. I´m in the same boat as you. I´m far more excited about KOTM and GVK to even care about the anime stuff. The leaks about Planet Eater don´t help, and altough Rodan´s review about the film made me slightly more optismistic about it, it still din´t changed my mind about the story. I will still watch the film, because is a Godzilla film, but I will watch it with very low expectations.

The interviews with Seshita and Urobuchi din´t help either, specially the restrictions that Toho put into the trilogy. I get that they wanted no "pro wrestling" fights like in the 70s Showa films and that they wanted to make the films like 1954 or Shin, but the characters are nowhere near as developed and deep as Serizawa or Emiko, nor as likeable and engaging as Rando or Kayoko, and the serious tone and style trying to be like ´54 dosen´t work like they would have wanted to, and instead of making a dark, compelling, emotional story that could compete with some of the best films in the franchise, they ended up making probably the most joyless, self-serious, pretentious Godzilla story as possible as they can make.

Heck, as you mentioned, even G14 had some interisting, sympathetic characters, and altough Ford is not as interisting as the characters shown in ´54 or Shin, at least he is a pretty good self-inser character that the audience can use to be engaged about what´s going on in the film (plus, he has some character moments like that scene with Elle on the phone).

When it comes to the monster stuff, they don´t need to move and fight like the Showa incarnations, but it feels like they watched the Heisei fights and they decided to make the stiff and beam-spaming elements into a even more extreme level by making them do literally nothing for the most part. Godzilla Earth might be the tallest and most powerful incarnation of the character, but by doing that, they made him probably the most boring incarnation of the character.

Shin might have not that much of a personality either, but everything around him is engaging and well-done, plus he was portrayed as an natural disaster, so it makes sense that he dosen´t have a personality. On the other hand, given that the trilogy is about Haruo trying to kill Godzilla, Godzilla Earth dosen´t seem to answer him with reciprocation, there´s not a sense of hatred between both, is kinda like an ex-boyfriend angrily trying to make his ex-girlfriend jealous by showing her the many girls that he managed to make them fall in love for him, only to be answered with a silent treatment for his ex, like she dosen´t give a skreeonk about that. Even the other threatening Godzilla like 54 or GMK feel more alive and have more personality than Godzilla Earth (or Fillius) does.

If G98 made Godzilla way too weak, the anime trilogy made him way too strong. Just because you made X character to be as OP as skreeonk dosen´t made you an compelling character instantly (same with Dragon Ball Super, just because they made Goku very OP dosen´t make up for the fact they ruined his character in that show). The 1998 animated series, Millenium films and G14 showed that you can make good, hand-to-hand fights without needing to be as over the top as some of the Showa fights in the 70s.

I can forgive the monster action being lackluster if the human story is good, but given that we have no one we can sympathize or enjoy, both parts end up being very mediocre. I really find it ironic that the American animated series based on an film that hated it source material is still the best animated adaptation of the character, and it is still better than the anime films. It is really a shame.

There´s some good stuff, though. The ending of POTM with Godzilla Earth´s appearance was great, the songs and music are really good, Metphies is an interisting character, the themes that they have are interisting, the animation can be good at points, and the novels are amazing, is just that the bad stuff surpasses the good stuff that this trilogy has.

Sorry for the long rant. I really wanted to like these films, I really do. The concepts about it are fascinating, many of the themes that they want to tackle I found them very interisting, I like that they seem to be inspired by Lovecraft mythology, and that article about Planet Eater´s ending sounds great.... on paper. That sums up this trilogy, the films have brilliant ideas on paper, but the execution is very poor, not using the medium to its fullest potential, and not using these ideas to the maximum. It is pretty much wasted potential. I´m not even mad, I´m just sad by the fact that Toho instead of seeing anime Godzilla films as something amazing with potential, they saw these films as nothing more than just profit and filler before KOTM comes out, with the films looking like they were made with little to no enthusiasm so far. These films should be better, just because they are different and have interesting themes dosen´t make them automatically good. Mixing Godzilla with anime shouldn´t be hard, the animation is potential without limits yet they are wasting the potential that animated medium can offer.

I just hope that the next time they do an anime film or series about Godzilla, they take notes about what worked and what din´t work with this trilogy to make the anime someone like Godzilla and company deserves.
Last edited by MrGoji1999 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Nah, I lost all enthusiasm for this trilogy halfway through Monster Planet. I was so excited for it and it let me down beyond words. I got a slight spark for City when I was hearing some positive for it, but it was more of the same. I couldn't care less for this, but I'll watch it anyway because. I mean. It's Godzilla.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Maritonic wrote:
Nah, I lost all enthusiasm for this trilogy halfway through Monster Planet. I was so excited for it and it let me down beyond words. I got a slight spark for City when I was hearing some positive for it, but it was more of the same. I couldn't care less for this, but I'll watch it anyway because. I mean. It's Godzilla.
Agreed. It's going the Michael Bay route of doing the same thing over and over and over

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Wasted potiental anime could've given us the most fluid Godzilla but instead it gave us a damn statue looking Marmit figure. Shame on them.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Wasted potiental anime could've given us the most fluid Godzilla but instead it gave us a damn statue looking Marmit figure. Shame on them.
Even Shin was stiff and overpowered like Earth
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Solia wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Wasted potiental anime could've given us the most fluid Godzilla but instead it gave us a damn statue looking Marmit figure. Shame on them.
Even Shin was stiff and overpowered like Earth
It sorta work for Shin since he was portrayed as a living nature disaster plus it was really only the 4th form that was stiff.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012