How Would You Improve the Anime Saga?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

How Would You Improve the Anime Saga?

Post by TyrantGojira »

Let’s not beat around the bush. The trilogy is a disappointment critically and finically. But it didn’t have to be. My question for you guys is what adjustments would you make to improve it?
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: How Would You Improve the Anime Saga?

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Make it about the Monster Apocalypse instead of it taking place 20000 years afterwards where Godzilla is literally the only thing that exists. Don't focus on the human aspect, and instead make it about the monsters. That's what we want to see.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

The only things I would change so far is maybe give the characters a little more development or at least make them more entertaining and make Metphies less obviously a creepy evil weirdo. Besides that I'm pretty satisfied with most of what the anime has presented so far.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Less talky talky more dinosaur
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

This took me a while to think about and write down, but I think this would be more satisfying.
Spoiler:
During COTHEOB after Godzilla starts blasting the city apart. Shortly after the city is wrecked, Mechagodzilla appears from the ruins and engages Godzilla. The one of Bilosaludo on the aratrum starts boating that they were playing everyone as fools,announcing that they were secretly constructing Mechagodzilla throughout the events of the film. They state that if the plan of killing Godzilla would of succeeded, they would of use Mechagodzilla to eradicate the vultures and enslave the renaming races. But since the plan didn’t fall though, they have to use him to kill Godzilla. The film ends with the two monsters squaring off, with Mechagodzilla having the advantage.

The second film opens with the battle continuing as the Exif are shown being upset that they have been double crossed and they summon Ghidorah. The three monster engage each other. Haruo contemplates if revenge against Godzilla was the right idea considering he would of doomed humanity quicker if he killed the monster. In a way, he think that he would be just as big of a monster as Godzilla. In this version, a group of survivors of all three races manage to evacuate the aratrum before it’s destroyed by Ghidorah. Harou realizes that at the rate the fight is escalating not only will everyone be killed, but the planet itself will become a barren wasteland. Harou convinces most of the survivorship to join they only chance they have is to unite and start from a clean slate. And that's where I add a surprising fourth monster into the mix to bring everything to a close.

Their collective will to redeem themselves and to fight and protect the earth causes their egg to hatch, revealing Mothra Leo. The monster that will usher a new dawn and aid in the rebirth of humanity. Harou pilots the remaking vulture to aid Leo in defeating all three monster. The film ends with the remaining Humans, Exif, Bilosaludo, and Fututa looking beyond the horizon stating that they’ll begin civilization again. And this time, they’ll do it right.
Last edited by TyrantGojira on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

TyrantGojira wrote:This took me a while to think about and write down, but I think this would be more satisfying.

During COTHEOB after Godzilla starts blasting the city apart. Shortly after the city is wrecked, Mechagodzilla appears from the ruins and engages Godzilla. The one of Bilosaludo on the aratrum starts boating that they were playing everyone as fools,announcing that they were secretly constructing Mechagodzilla throughout the events of the film. They state that if the plan of killing Godzilla would of succeeded, they would of use Mechagodzilla to eradicate the vultures and enslave the renaming races. But since the plan didn’t fall though, they have to use him to kill Godzilla. The film ends with the two monsters squaring off, with Mechagodzilla having the advantage.

The second film opens with the battle continuing as the Exif are shown being upset that they have been double crossed and they summon Ghidorah. The three monster engage each other. Haruo contemplates if revenge against Godzilla was the right idea considering he would of doomed humanity quicker if he killed the monster. In a way, he think that he would be just as big of a monster as Godzilla. In this version, a group of survivors of all three races manage to evacuate the aratrum before it’s destroyed by Ghidorah. Harou realizes that at the rate the fight is escalating not only will everyone be killed, but the planet itself will become a barren wasteland. Harou convinces most of the survivorship to join they only chance they have is to unite and start from a clean slate. And that's where I add a surprising fourth monster into the mix to bring everything to a close.

Their collective will to redeem themselves and to fight and protect the earth causes their egg to hatch, revealing Mothra Leo. The monster that will usher a new dawn and aid in the rebirth of humanity. Harou pilots the remaking vulture to aid Leo in defeating all three monster. The film ends with the remaining Humans, Exif, Bilosaludo, and Fututa looking beyond the horizon stating that they’ll begin civilization again. And this time, they’ll do it right.

/Thread

Might tweak parts here or there but yep, I'm down for a hopeful ending.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Pay off what is promised.

You want to do a Planet of Monsters? Cool! Can we get a whole world of monsters and not just Godzilla?

You want to have Godzilla, Ghidorah, and Mechagodzilla evolve to a state we've never seen before? Awesome! But can we still get monster fights?

You want to have Mechagodzilla's nanometal corpse create a city? Cool! Can we have that payoff with a liquid metal Mechagodzilla and a fight with Godzilla?

You want to include a human-esque society of Mothra people? Awesome...but can we actually get Mothra?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well I've only seen the first movie but I've read a lot of what happens with the other two. I love so many of the ideas I've read about but it sounds like the execution isn't too good. Like I love Godzilla being mountain sized, love Mecha-Godzilla city, love the idea behind the planet eater. I do like, form what I've heard, what they did with the twins. I think what they wanted to do could have worked and if they didn't want to rely on too much monster action then they really really got to make sure the characters are interesting. If you don't want to do monster mash then you HAVE to have the characters be interested. I wanted to sympathize with Haruo at first and figured he'd try to redeem himself over the second and third movies. Yuko was pretty flat from what I saw of her. Like the only character I found interesting was Mephistles. I really wanted that for once the aliens and humans were working together and realizing they were all in the same boat.

Like isn't a big issue at the end of the second movie something like the alien leader is too consumed with revenge and for once Haruo decides against revenge and realizes that's who he was before? That's really good on paper but oh boy execution is important.

I thought I heard that the executive that was against the monster stuff shot down the not-Xilians to have the black sunglasses...one of his wiser moves for sure. I'm actually okay with a Godzilla movie having romance in it since it is usually super downplayed. I mean normally I HATE a romance subplot if it is really bare bones but a Godzilla movie with a bit of jealously like this scene actually makes me want to get to the second movie sooner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pHLAS6zREw

I think you could balance a Godzilla movie pretty well to have a bit of romance and monster action. Anyway like several posters said I would have loved a big monster world movie or something. That would have been fun too I think.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Stop and seriously think what does or can work in a Godzilla movie, and what doesn't or can't. There's things that haven't been done that can work in a Godzilla film that would be easier and then there's things like the concept of existential crisis (see Ghost in the Shell) that doesn't really mesh well with the kaiju genera. It might be doable, but I feel it's really hard, the closest example I can think of is Katsura's angst on being a cyborg in TOMG.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh but the idea of that massive four way monster fight sounds like fun too I admit.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

The first movie happens as it does.

The second movie, for the most part, happens as it does. However, after trapping Godzilla in the city trench, Mulu-Elu-Galu-Gu would assimilate himself, and out of the citys heart would come a fully reconsituted Mechagodzilla, standing 450 meters tall. Galu-gu reveals that the city would have had the full defenses and offensive firepower planned for the operation in time, but he diverted production to reproducing Mechagodzilla under the guise of having to make "neccessary sacrifices" in order to complete Bilsaldian rule over all other races and to avenge his comrades that were killed by Godzilla. Haruo watches in horror as Mechagodzilla slashes Godzilla's belly open and "kills" Godzilla. Galu gu then begins to make preparations to charge MechaGodzilla's railgun and destroy the remaining 2 races, while also assimilating those in the vultures so that they can conjoin with Mechagodzilla.galu-gu then messages haruo to join him as they both have common interests, mainly killing Godzilla for revenge. metphies messages haruo that he should have heeded his warnings and that the only way to kill Mechagodzilla would be to kill galu-gu. haruo makes the choice to kill kills Galu-gu and Mechagodzilla begins to malfunction as it needs to start up it's backup AI. Godzilla, meanwhile, begins to metabolize heat and grows in size to 400 meters, glowing red and orange. He gets the jump on MechaGodzilla, and even after MechaGodzilla restarts and begins to fight, Godzilla gains the upper hand by expelling so much heat it glasses the surrounding area, melting and destroying MechaGodzilla. Godzilla finishes off MechaGodzilla city by firing his Red spiral ray, which depletes him so badly he goes into hibernation. Finish as the movie finishes.

in Planet Eater, The film starts off as is. IK this is awkward, but I think Haruo sleeping with Miana makes more sense than him sleeping with maina. Rest continues on as is, until Ghidorah begins to strangle Godzilla. Ghidorah manifests himself by "leaking" his body out of the wormholes, then assimilating into a massive dragon, with wings that cover most of the sky as far as the eye can see. After attacking Godzilla with salvos of Gravity beams, Ghidorah then eats Godzilla. At the same time, Haruo begins to be implanted with the "anchor" of Ghidorah by Metphies, signifying a parallel between the two events. Mothra is awakened, but is seen as a moth-shaped spirit. Using her psychic powers, she snaps haruo out of his daze. Haruo then transfers the anchor back to metphies before stabbing him, thus injuring Ghidorah. Ghidorah sees this and prepares to attack with a salvo of Gravity beams, but finds for some reason he can't muster the necessary power. pan down to reveal a bright glowing orange ball in Ghidorah's chest, which is turning slowly to red. Ghidorah roars in terror as Godzilla releases the stored up energy in an atomic pulse, causing major damage to the (Now corporeal) Ghidorah. Ghidorah shrieks as he is forced to retreat to his dimension, defeated by the combined spiritual power of Godzilla, Mothra, and Haruo. Godzilla floats down, glowing bright gold with blue fins, having absorbed Ghidorah's powers. For once, he relents his rage and leave the other monsters and humans at peace.Metphies dies. Cut to a year later. After the events of what already happens in the film, Haruo hears Ghidorah telling him that he will return once humanity is ripe for harvest and Godzilla won't be there to conveniently save them and then suicides himself after explaining that the possibility of Ghidorah returning (as he is still a partial anchor), his hatefulness, or mechaGodzilla returning is too great, and then leaves to do his duty. The last scene is that of the survivors and Mothra watching the sunrise behind the 400 meter glowing Godzilla after Haruo and Yuko's death, signifying the beginning of an age without hate and the threat of Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla. cue after credits scene.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Make it about the Monster Apocalypse instead of it taking place 20000 years afterwards where Godzilla is literally the only thing that exists. Don't focus on the human aspect, and instead make it about the monsters. That's what we want to see.
Hell why even call it monster planet when Godzilla is the only monster left?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Delete the whole Anime Trilogy and make it as a 3 season Anime SERIES based on the novels
Season 1: Monster Apocalypse, but with Mechagodzilla being activated and holding off Godzilla's advance while the people escape.
Season 2: Project Mechagodzilla
Season 3: The general Anime Trilogy story, only actually good.
Have the monster designs be more traditional (NO Plant Godzilla, Star Nosed Mole Mechagodzilla, or Spaghetti Noodle Ghidorah) and actually interesting characters. Have the Planet of the Monsters actually be an ecosystem of giant monsters instead of just Godzilla. And give us actual monster action instead of MECHAGODZILLA CITY. Ugh.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Step 1: Make Harou an interesting and sympathetic character.

All other priorities are secondary.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gojira18 wrote:Delete the whole Anime Trilogy and make it as a 3 season Anime SERIES based on the novels
Season 1: Monster Apocalypse, but with Mechagodzilla being activated and holding off Godzilla's advance while the people escape.
Season 2: Project Mechagodzilla
Season 3: The general Anime Trilogy story, only actually good.
Have the monster designs be more traditional (NO Plant Godzilla, Star Nosed Mole Mechagodzilla, or Spaghetti Noodle Ghidorah) and actually interesting characters. Have the Planet of the Monsters actually be an ecosystem of giant monsters instead of just Godzilla. And give us actual monster action instead of MECHAGODZILLA CITY. Ugh.
Make the big bad a new monster, you can do crazy creature without the limits of suits.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I would have made Godzilla a true King of the Monsters in the first one, with Godzilla really going wild with the whole “creation” idea.

The planet would be full of weird Godzilla plants, fish, reptiles, insects, even mammals.

And Mechagodzilla city would have been a Howls Moving Castle type deal, with it picking itself up and fighting Godzilla.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

After having read some reviews of Planet Eater, I have one way to improve it.

Don't make it a trilogy. Take the key elements of all three films and trim it down into one complete story.

1) Start off with the prologue, the issues, the characters (cut some of the side characters out for the sake of simplification. Haruo, Metphies and the Exif, Galagu and he Builisaludo, and Yuko are the only main characters you really need) and humanity's desire to go back to Earth and face Godzilla to take back their home. Sci-Fi mumbo jumbo, 20,000 year time jump, yada yada. Basically everything from the beginning to about the time they get to Earth can remain the same.

2) Instead of just having Haruo's plan only be to attack a weak point on Godzilla, also work Mechagodzilla into that plan to exploit the weakness. They all know Mechagodzilla is dormant on Earth and have Haruo and the others try to seek it out and use it to exploit the discovered weakness on Godzilla.

3) They get to Earth and encounter other monsters. If they want to use the Servum here, fine. I would also like to see a nest of Rodans, or some of the classic Toho water based monsters in the oceans, or a herd of Baragons or something, even if its just easter eggs and cameos. Make it look like a PLANET of monsters.

4) Metphies is manipulating things from behind the scenes and building up his cult, using the Ahab like Haruo as a pawn.

5) Godzilla Earth is revealed and instead of it being the end of the first movie, it is the end of the first act.

6) Honestly, I'd probably cut out the Mothra tribe entirely. In my plan to combine all three movies into one, they kind of get lost in the shuffle.

7) Okay, so the humans get their butts handed to them by Godzilla Earth and are overwhelmed. They flee towards Mechagodzilla, with Godzilla Earth in pursuit (some Vultures and attack vehicles lag behind to slow Godzilla Earth down while Haruo and the others try to reach Mechagodzilla, again, giving us more action and tension). It is here that they find Mechagodzilla City and discover what happened with MechaG and the nanometal. Humans and Bulisaludos butt heads over how to approach the situation like COTEOB, but again all the fat is trimmed.

8) Godzilla does battle with MechaG City, and Yuko is incapacitated, but we get a Mechagodzilla Vs. Godzilla fight at the end of act 2 where Mechagodzilla is like a liquid metal monster ala T-1000. Godzilla ultimately wins. All the while Metphies has been building followers and working in secret to bring King Ghidorah to Earth to offer the planet to his god.

9) With no hope left and Yuko on the brink of death, Metphies tricks the desperate Haruo into enacting one last plan, which is the ritual that ultimately brings King Ghidorah.

10) We get black hole spaghetti monster Ghidorah (I actually don't have too big a problem with this) and he works his way through the planet Earth, killing other monsters along the way (Nest of Rodans, Baragon herds, etc). and also destroys the main ship, leaving the remaining humans stranded and without aid.

11) Realizing how his quest for revenge has only caused more pain, Haruo confronts Metphies, who is using Yuko as part of the ritual. Haruo also mobilizes the few humans left to help Godzilla and any surviving monsters to strike against Ghidorah, uniting monsters and man for the first time.

12) And yada yada, Godzilla/Ghidorah fight intercut with Haruo/Metphies fight, self sacrifice involved, Earth is saved, and humanity makes plans to survive in this new world of monsters.

Its a bit heavy on material , sure, but when you consider that the first two films feel longer than their approximate 90min length, I think there was plenty of room to trim down the unnecessary elements, and keep Haruo and Metphies as the focal points of the human drama, and give the audience the monster action they crave, AND take advantage of the unique evolved forms for the monsters. By having Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, and Ghidorah all present in one film in these highly evolved forms, it also helps to live up to the "Planet of Monsters" concept that was originally proposed.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

As I mentioned before in the "Say Something Positive" thread, I would have adapted the novels into a 12 to 24 episode anime series and then have the movie trilogy as a finale. The series could play out as it about the same as the novels, and then I would just have these recommendations for the movies to make them work at least a little better:
  • -Make the planet feel more alive, have mome variety in the monsters. The Servum are fine as they are, but it would have been just as easy to have more monsters based on other kaiju.(e.g. Rodan a stampede of Anguirus the base in Planet of the Monsters, or a Meganulon menacing Yuko instead of a some worm Servum)
    -Make the characters more likable, give them more depth to their characters outside of their purpose to the plot
    -Make the alien characters more sympathetic. With all the other thingsabout Godzilla they were trying to subvert, it feels disappointing that in the end the aliens all turned out to just be villains
    -Making Godzilla and the other monsters more expressive or at least trying to give them more personality outside aggression
There's a lot more I could go into but I'm trying to respect that, at the end of the day, this Urobochi's story and even if I don't like his style, I should just let him tell the story he wants to tell. All my other suggestions would make it into someone else's story. So, I'm going to save that stuff for my own fixfic ideas.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

I would've used a different angle with the story and have it be about the kaiju living on an earth that we get to see change into what we see in the film now as opposed to just sending humans into it after it changed. Let the environment and the beings in it tell a wordless story (maybe have the Mothra civilization or whatever they're called be the human element as they have to adapt to the mutating world just like the kaiju.)

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

HillyHulk wrote:I would've used a different angle with the story and have it be about the kaiju living on an earth that we get to see change into what we see in the film now as opposed to just sending humans into it after it changed. Let the environment and the beings in it tell a wordless story (maybe have the Mothra civilization or whatever they're called be the human element as they have to adapt to the mutating world just like the kaiju.)
Seconded! The more I think about it, the more I would have liked the story to be about the Houtua instead. Having a Planet of the Apes homage where a band of humans end up on a completely changed planet Eartha and try to take it back was interesting, but I would have vastly prefered a more nuanced and peaceful movie where humans and kaiju learn to coexist like this. Maybe it's the Ghibli fan in me talking, but with a title like "Monster Planet/Planet of the Monsters" I was expecting a more environmentally-minded movie like that; something more zen and less grimdark.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)