General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: General Gamera Thread (New Movie Announced!)

Post by Godzilla21 »

I’d be up for any Gamera
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

tbeasley wrote:I can buy into a smaller, inexperienced Gamera going up against a larger, corrupted version -
https://www.deviantart.com/mooncalfe/ga ... 0924/Kaiju
Yeah, that could be a great idea for a story! A younger, more compassionate Gamera like Toto who's still learning, fighting a corrupted Gamera left over from the days of the ancient society whose heart was hardened by human cruelty. Who will win? Kindness or brutality? I wonder what we'd call the other Gamera though...

Also, my sincerest thanks to The One and Only for reminding that every great hero has at least one evil clone in their rogues gallery. (I'm especially embaressed since Venom, Wario, Waluigi, and even Dark Samus and Dark Pit are some of my favourite characters of all time.) Glad you like my AI enemy idea though!
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

So basically if Anti-Hero Gamera from G3 turned into Nightmare Gamera.

Added in 7 minutes 32 seconds:
Titanoterror98 wrote:I agree with LivingCorpse and Ivo Goji about an undersea battle--that would be an incredible sight to see in a kaiju movie! I can already imagine Gamera using his jets to zoom through the water while chasing after, say, a reimagined Zigra past lushly made replicas of coral reefs and shipwrecks. That and Gamera's aerial abilities would be great ways to remind people how he differs from Godzilla, as well.

And you know what, I agree with Tyrantgoji--give that alien shark cult leader another chance, I say! If done properly, he could fit in great with the lost civilization mythos Gamera has become associated with.

However, I don't know how to feel about a Mecha-Gamera. It might not be the best idea, since having a robot clone archenemy is Godzilla's thing and for the most part, we want a new movie that discerns him from Gamera. Plus, tbeasely is right: with Gamera already having a biomechanical feel to him, a fully mechanized copy would just feel redundant. But I do think that having Gamera fight a machine monster is still a cool idea! Like if a military complex created an AI-enabled war machine and Gamera would go to fight it to prevent humankind from making the same mistake as the ancient civilization that made him.
Godzilla needs a proper underwater fight as well, he's either at the surface or on the ocean bottom. Shouldn't Godzilla be swimming while fighting? He is a sea monster, and the closest I saw them do something like that is the underwater rail shooter fight with Ebirah and subs in Godzilla: Save the Earth. In this day and age with CGI there is no excuse.

Plus Gamera can different by making the fight switch back and forth between ocean and sky and back if his enemy can also swim and fly.

As for Mecha-Gamera, yeah it's redundent, even Gormaru from Ultraman has a mecha double, but it's be cool do see them try and buzzsaw each other high in the sky, espically with if it's shell is like the one I posted. And I think it'd be cool if the Mecha double had a cyan colored fireballs.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

A mechagamera, no matter how its played on film, will just come off as being a cheap imitation of Mechagodzilla.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Living Corpse wrote:So basically if Anti-Hero Gamera from G3 turned into Nightmare Gamera.
Precisely!
Living Corpse wrote:Godzilla needs a proper underwater fight as well, he's either at the surface or on the ocean bottom. Shouldn't Godzilla be swimming while fighting? He is a sea monster, and the closest I saw them do something like that is the underwater rail shooter fight with Ebirah and subs in Godzilla: Save the Earth. In this day and age with CGI there is no excuse.

Plus Gamera can different by making the fight switch back and forth between ocean and sea and back if his enemy can also swim and fly.

As for Mecha-Gamera, yeah it's redundent, even Gormaru from Ultraman has a mecha double, but it's be cool do see them try and buzzsaw each other high in the sky, espically with if it's shell is like the one I posted. And I think it'd be cool if the Mecha double had a cyan colored fireballs.
Yes, more underwater fights would be welcome in Gamera and Godzilla movies! Having a fight between Gamera and another switch between the sea and sky is a really inspired idea for a battle! It'd be a good idea to use if they brought Iris back for another movie.
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:So basically if Anti-Hero Gamera from G3 turned into Nightmare Gamera.
Precisely!
Living Corpse wrote:Godzilla needs a proper underwater fight as well, he's either at the surface or on the ocean bottom. Shouldn't Godzilla be swimming while fighting? He is a sea monster, and the closest I saw them do something like that is the underwater rail shooter fight with Ebirah and subs in Godzilla: Save the Earth. In this day and age with CGI there is no excuse.

Plus Gamera can different by making the fight switch back and forth between ocean and sea and back if his enemy can also swim and fly.

Yes, more underwater fights would be welcome in Gamera and Godzilla movies! Having a fight between Gamera and another switch between the sea and sky is a really inspired idea for a battle! It'd be a good idea to use if they brought Iris back for another movie.
I know right? They should have made Gamera and Iris battle keep switching between under the sea and above the clouds.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
Precisely!

Reminds me of the cover for G-FAN#49 by Chris Scalf and Paul Roche featuring Godzilla and Titanosaurus battling each other under water. While around the two combatants, various vessels can be seen sinking around them.
With today's technology with both CGI and practical it can be pulled off quite nicely.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I desperately want a new Gamera film but even if that "pitch" film didn't get a new film made it is one hell of a great short film on its own.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

cloverfan98 wrote:I desperately want a new Gamera film but even if that "pitch" film didn't get a new film made it is one hell of a great short film on its own.
That it was, cloverfan98.
That it was...

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shouldn't the phrase "(New Movie Announced!)" be removed from the title since it's now known to be a short film and not a preview of a new movie?

Just sayin'.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

mikelcho wrote:Shouldn't the phrase "(New Movie Announced!)" be removed from the title since it's now known to be a short film and not a preview of a new movie?

Just sayin'.
I second this because I'm sick of having my hopes raised and then brutally crushed whenever I see this thread.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Shouldn't the phrase "(New Movie Announced!)" be removed from the title since it's now known to be a short film and not a preview of a new movie?

Just sayin'.
I second this because I'm sick of having my hopes raised and then brutally crushed whenever I see this thread.
I third this (is that a phrase?) for reasons stated above.

Huzzah! It worked! Thank you, guys!
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Destorogoji »

Finally, the "New Movie" title has been removed.

So, when do you think is the best time to make a new Gamera movie? Does it needs a new Godzilla era? Or maybe just as soon as possible?
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I'm thinking there won't ever be a new Gamera movie. Think about it, Godzilla has been back to the big screen since 2014. He's had:

1 major motion picture from America, with 2 more being released back to back
1 live action Japanese movie
3 motion picture anime films

7 movies across 6 years, and yet Gamera has remained silent. You would think now is the time to reintroduce Gamera since kaiju films are gaining popularity again. I'm thinking perhaps the character is permanently retired.

Off topic, I forgot how absolutely beautiful Legion is as far as kaiju designs go. Definitely in my top 5.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I wouldn't count him out yet. The Heisei trilogy waited for Godzilla to go on hiatus before taking advantage of his absence, so maybe the same thing will happen here. They don't want to risk direct competition with the much better known property.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

It still hurts a little that this movie never happened. That preview or whatever it was was so badass.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I still say Gamera would benafit from being brought into the Monsterverse. Being in a big budget Hollywood film or two that get's a global release would help spread awareness of the character and create new fans for the franchise around the world.

Cause currently most people haven't heard of him and say "who?"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

And I can't imagine most would respond positively to an explanation. "Well, Gamera's this giant turtle, see... He's the Friend to All Children, and he breaths fire and can fly like a flying saucer..."

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:And I can't imagine most would respond positively to an explanation. "Well, Gamera's this giant turtle, see... He's the Friend to All Children, and he breaths fire and can fly like a flying saucer..."
We're getting a pterodactyl that lives in Lava. Also Gamera doesn't need the friend of all children background, Heisei didn't have it.

Heck Gamera could be a creature from the same volcanic bio-sphere as Rodan, having evolved in such environment to allow it to fly.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Eh... I guess it's no harder to believe than a three-headed lightning spitting dragon evolving naturally on Earth. I was about to start pretending that the Monsterverse was anything like realistic, but then I caught myself. :lol: