Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by edgaguirus »

Talking monster are better than singing monsters.

On topic, From what I understand of the Nebulan story, the planet was their home, and they took control after the dominant race had polluted themselves out of existence. They lived in peace there until the planet became too unbearable even for them.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

edgaguirus wrote:
On topic, From what I understand of the Nebulan story, the planet was their home, and they took control after the dominant race had polluted themselves out of existence. They lived in peace there until the planet became too unbearable even for them.
Thanks for clearing that up.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Godzillian wrote:Why did Godzilla only bring Anguirus help him?
Budget problems
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Watching this right now. What’s so frustrating is how good all of the new monster footage is, and how obvious and intrusive the stock footage is. Even to non-fans, all the lighting changes and suit designs and stuff must be pretty obvious.

Still, overall this is a good one. I forgot how much good Ifukube stuff is in it, as I tend to associate the later films with the jazzier soundtracks. It’s almost like a greatest hits of his showa stuff, there’s stuff from GTTM, MvG, DAM, probably more.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Watching this right now. What’s so frustrating is how good all of the new monster footage is, and how obvious and intrusive the stock footage is. Even to non-fans, all the lighting changes and suit designs and stuff must be pretty obvious.

Still, overall this is a good one. I forgot how much good Ifukube stuff is in it, as I tend to associate the later films with the jazzier soundtracks. It’s almost like a greatest hits of his showa stuff, there’s stuff from GTTM, MvG, DAM, probably more.
There is certainly some good new effects footage, but it's usually not as good as the footage in the stock footage. I can accept the stock footage a lot of the time with Showa era movies, but it is jarring when they do "day for night" kind of shots from Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster.

I definitely agree that this is a good entry in the series. Some great characters. Plus, a really long entertaining tag teamed battle. It's a fun film, but you can have a little bit of symbolism with the cockroaches and their origin without ruining the campy vibe. Amazing film to smoke weed while watching if you live in a legal state. :P

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

One thing I will always appreciate about this film:

The first time I saw it as a kid, I remember being completely shocked when Gigan caused Godzilla to bleed.

It wasn't so shocking to see blood in a giant monster movie because I had seen some of the Gamera films already, and movies like Clash of the Titans, but up to that point, I didn't even know Godzilla could bleed. I thought his skin was too strong to penetrate.

Now here comes this giant cyborg chicken that sliced into Godzilla like he was made of paper. It was a shocking moment for my 6 year old mind to process and it firmly established Gigan as one of the big bads to me.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Probably one of the worst of the franchise imo. Combine the shameless stock footage, mostly boring characters, and some really dumb decisions, I just can't find myself to like this film. MAYBE when I see it again tomorrow in my G marathon things will change. MAYBE.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The characters are the best part about this movie. Everyone is charismatic, likeable, and memorable. The special effects scenes rely too much on stock footage and move at a really slow pace.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Gojira18 wrote:Probably one of the worst of the franchise imo. Combine the shameless stock footage, mostly boring characters, and some really dumb decisions, I just can't find myself to like this film. MAYBE when I see it again tomorrow in my G marathon things will change. MAYBE.
I used to feel the same way but I've grown to enjoy the movie. As UltramanGoji said, the characters are really appealing in this movie. You have to like the Showa era style if you are going to enjoy this one however. It is true the movie is not perfect. I have just gotten used to stock footage in Godzilla movies so it doesn't really bother me.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:Probably one of the worst of the franchise imo. Combine the shameless stock footage, mostly boring characters, and some really dumb decisions, I just can't find myself to like this film. MAYBE when I see it again tomorrow in my G marathon things will change. MAYBE.
I used to feel the same way but I've grown to enjoy the movie. As UltramanGoji said, the characters are really appealing in this movie. You have to like the Showa era style if you are going to enjoy this one however. It is true the movie is not perfect. I have just gotten used to stock footage in Godzilla movies so it doesn't really bother me.
That's probably my problem then. I'm not head over heels in love with the Showa era style.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They didn't have much choice when it came to using stock footage. Budgets were pretty tight, and they had to use every trick they had. However, G vs G is a good film with likable characters, an excellent rampage scene, and good monster action.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

edgaguirus wrote:They didn't have much choice when it came to using stock footage. Budgets were pretty tight, and they had to use every trick they had. However, G vs G is a good film with likable characters, an excellent rampage scene, and good monster action.
Exactly. I feel it is a lot easier to forgive the 70's movies sins because the Japanese film industry was not doing well back then. Yet these movies still end up being pretty good and entertaining despite that.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:They didn't have much choice when it came to using stock footage. Budgets were pretty tight, and they had to use every trick they had. However, G vs G is a good film with likable characters, an excellent rampage scene, and good monster action.
Exactly. I feel it is a lot easier to forgive the 70's movies sins because the Japanese film industry was not doing well back then. Yet these movies still end up being pretty good and entertaining despite that.
Except money problems dont excuse all the 70s films problems

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

This film does have some of the best characters in the franchise. Heck, the Showa Era usually does have the most memorable characters.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That is true for me. Very few Heisei characters stick out in my mind, but the Showa ones are the first that come to my mind.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I find Millennium more pre-eminent in that regard (and pretty much ONLY in that regard ;) ), but Showa comes in a close second.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Godzillian wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:
Except money problems dont excuse all the 70s films problems
Care to elaborate?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Tbh I think this film was more ambitious than it had any right to be and that it sinks on the effects side of things. The gross use of barley compatible stock footage really pass things out and is distracting. Perhaps the film would've been better as a 60 min TV special. Cut the stock footage, streamline the plot, and put money to the effects.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Is it strange that as a kid I rarely noticed the stock footage? When it counted I enjoyed the shots of the new monsters. This was one of my favorites as a kid and is still in my top 10 I’d say. Showa Gigan forever too. I honestly never enjoyed his redesign.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I really love all the characters and human drama in this but this is like the only movie where the monster action is just completely uninteresting to me. I feel like if it had a bigger budget then this would be one of my absolute favorites.
why did i have to be the chosen one?