GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Postby LegendZilla » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:54 pm

If the Debont film was made, would’ve the changes made to Godzilla been just as controversal?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:00 pm

LegendZilla wrote:If the Debont film was made, would’ve the changes made to Godzilla been just as controversal?

Probably to people who get buttmad about every little stray from the norm, but no, not as bad as GINO.

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:28 pm

LegendZilla wrote:If the Debont film was made, would’ve the changes made to Godzilla been just as controversal?

You'd have a number of people complaining about the alien/precursor origin, and you'd definitely have a few complaining about the scenes where he skitters around on all fours (that is, if those scenes are kept; while the script and the Delgado design have him occasionally dropping to all fours, I have a hard time seeing the Winston/McCreery design doing the same thing), but you definitely wouldn't see the almost fandom-wide rejection of the film.

As for the average moviegoer, the script and characters are far more engaging than G'98, and the effects scenes would have been a real spectacle, so I imagine it gets better word-of-mouth and better audience attendance, and as a result better financial performance.
Last edited by G2000 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:25 pm

G2000 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:(Also, I read somewhere that before the Gryphon was created as an idea, the original plan Elliott and Rossio had was to use Ghidorah. How true is this?)

It’s true, both Rossio and Elliot confirmed it

Terry Rossio confirmed that was indeed his and Elliott’s intent. “We originally wanted to have Godzilla fight King Ghidorah,” he said, but Toho’s popular three-headed space monster was off-limits.3

Ted Elliott provided additional details. “It turned out that our contract specifically stated that we could use any monsters from the Godzilla family of monsters except Rodan, Mothra, or King Ghidorah. I’m sure Toho believes they can license those individually, so they didn’t include them in the Godzilla license,” he revealed. “We were left coming up with our own guy. Let’s see how that works. I think thematically he works a little bit better than Ghidorah would have.”4

Dv-218 wrote:No apperantly, it's stated to be an atomic blast/atomic ray in the script. Basically, the typical atomic breath.
De bont knew what's up lol.

Sort of. It was described as “not really fire ... something so hot it ionizes the oxygen molecules in the air” and it was supposed to start a few feet away from Godzilla’s mouth. Other than that, it was basically the same as Godzilla’s breath - a distinct stream of “fire”, “almost white-hot” in color.

Huh, interesting...I kinda had the suspicion it was the case due to the Gryphon's alien origin and the 3 headed snake tongue, but never actually saw a confirmation. Nice bit of info.

Imo I imagine the fanbase would have had problem with the alien origin thing, but not to the extent of 98 due to the titular creature looking and acting like Godzilla.
Personally, I don't mind a Godzilla with more movability, as long as the core traiths are intact.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:46 am

I wish the alien origin would have been reworked a little, like maybe the aliens were in Japan around the 40’s when they begin trying to create their monster, only for it to not wake up when they attempted to activate him, only for the bomb being dropped to work as a catalyst.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Well there is no denying that the cartoon this movie spawned was a vast improvement, but had the Debont movie been made, chances are we could’ve gotten an even better animated spin-off.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Gojira18
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira18 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:53 am

My Uncle loves the 1998 film and LOVES to push my buttons by saying it's superior to the 2014 film. All fun and games, but I will give him this. Jean Reno is probably one of the good things about this film I can count on one hand. Other than the origin being 90% correct, the musical score and the practical effects (CGI is pretty bad, even for the time.)

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:55 am

Gojira18 wrote: Other than the origin being 90% correct, the musical score and the practical effects (CGI is pretty bad, even for the time.)

A French iguana being radiated by bomb tests is 90% correct with a prehistoric dinosaur being awoken and mutated by nuclear tests in Japanese waters?

I'd say they got the bomb part correct but I mean, that's about it haha.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Gojira18
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira18 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:59 am

Maritonic wrote:
Gojira18 wrote: Other than the origin being 90% correct, the musical score and the practical effects (CGI is pretty bad, even for the time.)

A French iguana being radiated by bomb tests is 90% correct with a prehistoric dinosaur being awoken and mutated by nuclear tests in Japanese waters?

I'd say they got the bomb part correct but I mean, that's about it haha.

I'm feeling generous today. He was the product of nuclear fallout and Man's folly, but yeah the iguana thing throws it off. At least it's a reptile, still.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:12 am

I mean... outside of Heisei, we don't technically know that most Godzilla incarnations didn't start out as iguanas...

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:17 am

JAGzilla wrote:I mean... outside of Heisei, we don't technically know that most Godzilla incarnations didn't start out as iguanas...

Memory serves me correctly, they basically say Godzilla is a prehistoric dinosaur in Gojira/Raids Again. Again, if memory serves.
Resized Image

Gojira18
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira18 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 am

Maritonic wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:I mean... outside of Heisei, we don't technically know that most Godzilla incarnations didn't start out as iguanas...

Memory serves me correctly, they basically say Godzilla is a prehistoric dinosaur in Gojira/Raids Again. Again, if memory serves.

They didn't specifically say dinosaur. They said a prehistoric reptile that's a "link" to the land and the sea. Anguirus IS pointed out as a dinosaur.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 am

So...

Has anyone else noticed how LONG & BORING this film is?

Like forgetting all the other problems with this film...its
just kind of limited in scope...especially considering this
crew made Independence Day two years earlier...and while
that film is dumb as hell...at least its entertaining.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Terasawa
Futurian

Postby Terasawa » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:37 am

The first time I noticed how boring it was was during the Rifftrax Live show. Even they couldn’t save it. That was probably five years ago and I haven’t given it another chance since.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:42 am

It's always kept me entertained just fine...

Terasawa
Futurian

Postby Terasawa » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:52 am

JAGzilla wrote:It's always kept me entertained just fine...

It used to entertain me too.

Saw it opening weekend in ‘98 and thought it was pretty boring. Like Grievous said, it’s really long, and I wasn’t able to stay focused through the whole movie as a kid. When it hit video I liked it a lot more but once G2K came out and there were new Toho movies to watch instead I stopped watching it. It was also trendy not to like it in the early 2000s. I got involved in the Godzilla community and saw others hated it, so I did too. But now I hate it for my own reasons. :mrgreen:

I’ve tried giving it a lot of chances. It doesn’t work for me. I don’t like those bloated ‘90s blockbusters and that’s exactly what this is. And on top of that it’s barely what I’d consider a “Godzilla movie.” And as I said even Rifftrax couldn’t give me a version I’d enjoy.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:53 am

It's weird. Like Terasawa said, I've given it so many chances. I'd say this is the only film in the franchise that I will repeatedly go "okay, maybe it's really not as bad as I remember. Let me give it another chance" almost regularly. And every time be disappointed.
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:06 am

Oh, I'll never say it isn't bad. It's skreeonking terrible. :lol: But it does have its cool moments here and there, and I have no problem enjoying it as dumb fun. I can absolutely see why anyone would find it boring, though. It isn't particularly good at making the viewer care about any of the characters.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:09 am

Terasawa wrote:The first time I noticed how boring it was was during the Rifftrax Live show. Even they couldn’t save it. That was probably five years ago and I haven’t given it another chance since.

Nice work...

JAGzilla wrote:It's always kept me entertained just fine...

Yeah...but Battlefield Earth keeps me entertained.

Maritonic wrote:It's weird. Like Terasawa said, I've given it so many chances. I'd say this is the only film in the franchise that I will repeatedly go "okay, maybe it's really not as bad as I remember. Let me give it another chance" almost regularly. And every time be disappointed.

Its the Gift...that never Gives you anything.

JAGzilla wrote:It isn't particularly good at making the viewer care about any of the characters.

I cared about Audrey in that one scene when she was sucking on a lollipop.

That's about it really.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Grievous wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:It isn't particularly good at making the viewer care about any of the characters.

I cared about Audrey in that one scene when she was sucking on a lollipop.

That's about it really.

I like your style.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”