Best human characters in Godzilla films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Favorite Human Character

Dr. Serizawa (Gojira)
41%
Joe Brody (Godzilla 2014)
No votes
Dr. Ishiro Serizawa (Godzilla 2014)
5%
Mr. Tako (King Kong vs Godzilla)
No votes
Captain Gordon (Godzilla Final Wars)
5%
Akane Yashiro (Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla)
5%
Genshiro Shiragami (Godzilla vs Biollante)
No votes
Rando Yaguchi (Shin Godzilla)
9%
Mr. Shindo (Godzilla vs King Ghidorah)
No votes
Miki Saegusa (All of the post GvKG Heisei films)
5%
Mitsuo Katagiri (Godzilla 2000)
No votes
Dr. Mafune (Terror of Mechagodzilla)
No votes
Dr. Yamane (Gojira)
No votes
Emiko Yamane (Gojira)
No votes
Sakurai (KKvsG)
No votes
Sakai (Mothra vs. Godzilla)
No votes
Kumayama (Mothra vs. Godzilla)
No votes
Torahata (Mothra vs. Godzilla)
No votes
Detective Shindo (Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster)
5%
Glenn (Invasion of Astro Monster)
18%
Planet X Controller (Invasion of Astro Monster)
No votes
Daiyo (Ebirah)
No votes
Goro Maki (Son of Godzilla)
No votes
Katsura (Terror of Mechagodzilla)
5%
X (Godzilla Final Wars)
5%

Total votes: 22

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Re: Best human characters in Godzilla films

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

This is a surprisingly difficult question to answer :lol: I figured that it would take all of two seconds to decide. I'm quite glad that one of, if not my top, favorite franchise has such good characters, even if (or perhaps, especially if) most people don't give the humans a second thought when considering the films.
I'm going to have to mull over it before making a decision.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

How did I never notice the Shindo connection between Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah?!
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Maritonic wrote:How did I never notice the Shindo connection between Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah?!
Same, i'm honestly shocked I didn't catch up on that or see it until now :lol:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Ya know, for a series that has the criticism of having "Weak human characters and being all about the monsters" there are a surprising number of human characters throughout the long lifespan of the series that left a mark on me. Maybe that's just because I've watched these things so many times, but a large chunk of these characters did leave an impact.

Here's my top ten:

1) Dr. Serasawa (Gojira) = He is the quintessential Godzilla character. He is ultimately the hero of the first film and also the most tragic given how the events of the story play out.

2) Mr. Shindo (Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah) = This character's history with Godzilla and what Godzilla meant to him ultimately helped to create what might be my favorite moment in the entire Godzilla series.

3) Katsura and Dr. Mafune (Terror of Mechagodzilla) = Being an unwilling cyborg lady and a mad scientist, these two are hard to forget. Fortunately, the movie provides enough backstory and tragedy to ground what could have easily been simply stock Sci-Fi tropes.

4) Astronaut Glenn (Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero) = How can you not love Nick Adams in this movie? He's the main reason I prefer the English language version of the film.

5) Mr. Kumayama and Mr. Mr. Torahata (Mothra Vs. Godzilla) = As far as villains go, you couldn't ask for anyone more deliciously sinister than these two greedy business partners. Them becoming the victims of their own greed at Godzilla's hands is also one of the series' finest moments.

6) Detective Shindo and Malmess (Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster) = Speaking of villains, you have to love how driven Malmess is. You got monsters roaming around and fighting each other and this guy just wants to assassinate the princess. Equally driven is the heroic Detective Shindo and watching the two go at it the whole film while a monster war is going on around them is fun to watch.

7) Captain Gordon (Godzilla: Final Wars) = Admittedly, Don Frye is not the greatest actor in the world, but he makes up for it with sheer bad ass-ness. I mean look at him! He's so flipping cool. After all these years, there was something neat about finally getting an action hero as one of the lead characters.

8) Miki Segusa (Godzilla Vs. Biollante to Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah) = As the most significant recurring character in the Heisei series, we see her change and grow throughout each entry. Since she is both a psychic and featured prominently throughout the series, she serves as an example of the continuity of the 2nd string of films, as well as its willingness to try new ideas.

9) Joe Brody (Godzilla 2014) = He's lower on the list due to the disappointingly small role he played in the film, but Brian Cranston gives his all for the short amount of time he has. He really should have been the main character of the film.

10) Mr. Tako (King Kong Vs. Godzilla) = He is on the list purely for comedic reasons. This guy just cracks me up. In a franchise filled with straightforward scientists, politicians, new reporters, and military commanders, Mr. Tako is surprisingly cartoony and off the wall. Even the English dub brings comedic life to him.

Runner Ups:
- The Shobijan (Mothra, Mothra Vs. Godzilla, and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster) = The Peanuts were my favorite Mothra fairies, but I didn't count them since technically they aren't human characters.
- The Alien Invaders (Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster-Godzilla: Final Wars) = They got left off the list for the same reasons above, but you gotta love all those wacky aliens the series has produced.
- Yuki (Godzilla Vs. Spacegodzilla) = Love the Capt. Ahab level drive of him, but unfortunately, the movie doesn't take full advantage of it.
- The Cast of Godzilla 2000 = When you look at the main core cast of characters, this is probably the most likeable cast ever assembled for a Godzilla film. The relationships and interactions between Shinoda, Yuki, Io, Miyasaka, and Katagiri all help the movie considerably.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Erika Shiragami is worthy mention of mine. Quite a potential.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Col. Goro Gondo from Godzilla vs. Biollante always sticks out for me.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

One person not mentioned is Ogata. He was a good character, and his role in the love triangle provided a foil for Dr. Serizawa. Ogata was a hopeful figure, and his future with Emiko can be seen as a parallel of the bright future Japan hoped to see after Godzilla.

Shiragami is another choice of mine. While the guy is a mad scientist, he's also a very sympathetic character. He's a man you can empathize with, and even forgive for creating a mutant flower.

I'd also choose Daiyo. While a pleasure to look at, she'd also a brave and intelligent character.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I'm slightly cheating because this film isn't part of the Godzilla series, but I feel that this character should be credited more. One of my favorite human characters is Senichiro "Snapping Turtle" ("Bulldog" in the Titra dub) Fukuda from MOTHRA (1961). Played by comic actor Frankie Sakai, he may not be the serious type like Serizawa, Ogata, or even Katsura Mafune. He may be a klutz, a joker, often played for laughs, but seeing how this is one of Honda's lighter films, he shows such a likable personality, showing that he can convey a serious emotion, while being a more relatable person, especially when he urged Nelson to reconsider of Shobijin's enslavement for showbiz, even offer the girls an invitation to come back to Japan at the end of the film, and able to take on Nelson's men on a stairway while remaining pacifistic, armed only with comedic antics of slapstick & a rolled up newspaper. And saving a baby on a crumbling dam, cliche I know, but at least it was selfless of him to go back and save him while everyone else just kept running.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I'm slightly cheating because this film isn't part of the Godzilla series, but I feel that this character should be credited more. One of my favorite human characters is Senichiro "Snapping Turtle" ("Bulldog" in the Titra dub) Fukuda from MOTHRA (1961). Played by comic actor Frankie Sakai, he may not be the serious type like Serizawa, Ogata, or even Katsura Mafune. He may be a klutz, a joker, often played for laughs, but seeing how this is one of Honda's lighter films, he shows such a likable personality, showing that he can convey a serious emotion, while being a more relatable person, especially when he urged Nelson to reconsider of Shobijin's enslavement for showbiz, even offer the girls an invitation to come back to Japan at the end of the film, and able to take on Nelson's men on a stairway while remaining pacifistic, armed only with comedic antics of slapstick & a rolled up newspaper. And saving a baby on a crumbling dam, cliche I know, but at least it was selfless of him to go back and save him while everyone else just kept running.
Yes! He is absolutely my favorite showa-era character, and in my top 10 of the franchise overall- even if he doesn't technically 'count.'
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I'm slightly cheating because this film isn't part of the Godzilla series, but I feel that this character should be credited more. One of my favorite human characters is Senichiro "Snapping Turtle" ("Bulldog" in the Titra dub) Fukuda from MOTHRA (1961). Played by comic actor Frankie Sakai, he may not be the serious type like Serizawa, Ogata, or even Katsura Mafune. He may be a klutz, a joker, often played for laughs, but seeing how this is one of Honda's lighter films, he shows such a likable personality, showing that he can convey a serious emotion, while being a more relatable person, especially when he urged Nelson to reconsider of Shobijin's enslavement for showbiz, even offer the girls an invitation to come back to Japan at the end of the film, and able to take on Nelson's men on a stairway while remaining pacifistic, armed only with comedic antics of slapstick & a rolled up newspaper. And saving a baby on a crumbling dam, cliche I know, but at least it was selfless of him to go back and save him while everyone else just kept running.
Yes, I'm a bug ol' fan of Fukuda as well! Honestly, while I don't mean this as a knock against Mothra vs. Godzilla, overall that movie's central trio of protagonists feels like a watered-down version of the group from this flick (though MvsG does achieve a little more nuance with regards to its villains).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I just realized the corn cob guy isn't on the list. :lol:
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983