Which Godzilla film from a particular decade best represents that time?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzillander
Yojimbo

Which Godzilla film from a particular decade best represents that time?

Post by Godzillander »

Of all the Godzilla films released in a particular decade, which one do you think best sums up the cultural and political attitudes of that time, worldwide or in a particular nation? And which act as the best representation of Godzilla from that era. Not necessarily which is the best as a climb but which works best as a time capsule of that era?
My picks:
50's-Gojira: Fears of postwar Japan concerning Atomc warfare, took inspiration from American monster movies from the time and the imagery of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

60's-Invasion of the Astro-Monster: Space exploration, Alien invasion fears, tone and style are quintessential for the 60's Godzilla films.

70's-Godzilla vs. Hedorah: Ecological concerns as the driving focus of the plot, Godzilla as an unequivocal good guy, psychedelic trippy style, youth culture appears prominently.

80's-Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985: Cold War era tensions, established Heisei series as a return to a menacing Godzilla, American version' marketing and alterations exemplified the nations jingoism and consumerism at the time.

90's-Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah: Anti-American and Nationalistic undercurrents to the film, villification of Japan's growing capitalism introduced series trend of updating old monsters.

00's-Godzilla: Final Wars: Utilizes music and visual styles popular generally from the 2000's, encapsulates Millenium series' convoluted timeline and use of primarily updated monsters.

10's-Shin Godzilla: imagery reminiscent of Fukushima disasters, criticizes Japan-U.S. relations, much more grounded and realistic take on the premise as audiences come to expect that from major movies.
"Sometimes I think this is Godzilla's world. We just live in it."
:godzilla:

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Re: Which Godzilla film from a particular decade best represents that time?

Post by KillCrites »

You pretty much nailed it.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Post by Godzillander »

KillCrites wrote:You pretty much nailed it.
Thanks!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I agree. Those would be my picks, too.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I'm not so sure about GFW for Millennium. Yes, it probably best represents the mainstream cinematic sensibilities of the time, but it isn't particularly representative of the style of most of the series from that period (that would have to go to one of the Tezuka films), and - unlike GMK - it doesn't have much to say about contemporary cultural issues (unless you look at it as a story about terrorism, I guess).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Post by Godzillander »

eabaker wrote:I'm not so sure about GFW for Millennium. Yes, it probably best represents the mainstream cinematic sensibilities of the time, but it isn't particularly representative of the style of most of the series from that period (that would have to go to one of the Tezuka films), and - unlike GMK - it doesn't have much to say about contemporary cultural issues (unless you look at it as a story about terrorism, I guess).
Yeah. I like FW and all but the the 00's movie was the one I had the hardest time choosing.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

Yeah I pretty much agree with all of those.
Dedicated To Darkness..

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

The 00s category is definitely the hardest, I don't really feel those films deal with anything related to the culture and politics of the time - they really are just escapist entertainment. Gun to my head, maybe GMK? It doesn't say much about the world at large but there is a subtle critique of Japanese nationalism and WWII crime denials, which was beginning to re-emerge around that time.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Gun to my head, maybe GMK? It doesn't say much about the world at large but there is a subtle critique of Japanese nationalism and WWII crime denials, which was beginning to re-emerge around that time.
I don't that message really fits though. For me, it says more about not honoring the soldiers. I don't remember if it only ever specifies the dead Japanese soldiers only, but I did always get that vibe, like it were implied. If anything it reads less as a critique of nationalism and war crimes denials and more of (and I cannot stress the subtle part enough) subtle acceptance of those ideas.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Gun to my head, maybe GMK? It doesn't say much about the world at large but there is a subtle critique of Japanese nationalism and WWII crime denials, which was beginning to re-emerge around that time.
I don't that message really fits though. For me, it says more about not honoring the soldiers. I don't remember if it only ever specifies the dead Japanese soldiers only, but I did always get that vibe, like it were implied. If anything it reads less as a critique of nationalism and war crimes denials and more of (and I cannot stress the subtle part enough) subtle acceptance of those ideas.
Isn’t there a line from the old man specifying that Godzilla is possessed both by the dead soldiers, AND Japan’s victims of the pacific war?

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

I thought it was just the soldiers, but I admit that I don't remember for certain.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

The inaccurate translations don't help.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I think Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla was a great representation of the 70's...
but then...I maybe just saying that because its one of my all time favorites.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Post by Godzillander »

Grievous wrote:I think Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla was a great representation of the 70's...
It's arguably the best 70's movie in The series, but I was thinking more of the 70's as a whole

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzillander wrote:It's arguably the best 70's movie in The series, but I was thinking more of the 70's as a whole
Well...that's hard for me to comment on as I wasn't alive back then.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzillander wrote:
Grievous wrote:I think Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla was a great representation of the 70's...
It's arguably the best 70's movie in The series, but I was thinking more of the 70's as a whole
Agreed. But only because I think it's one of only 2 GOOD 70's Godzilla films, the second one being Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Gojira18 wrote:
Godzillander wrote:
Agreed. But only because I think it's one of only 2 GOOD 70's Godzilla films, the second one being Terror of Mechagodzilla.
Godzilla vs. Hedorah would like a word...

so would Godzilla vs. Gigan...
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Honestly...I like all of the 70's films...they have a certain charm & energy
to them that the other eras lack. Sure the budgets were slashed & the use
of stock footage can be annoying in places...but I just enjoy them because
of how fun & campy they are.

I guess I just really like "Heroic Godzilla" defending the Earth from alien invaders
with his "tag team partners" Anguirus, Jet Jaguar & King Caesar

Godzilla be all like "This is my yard...get out or I break your face!"
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Maritonic wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Godzillander wrote:

Hedorah was too weird for me and I can't get past the obvious stock footage in Gigan. I get they had a tight budget, but come on, man!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Gojira18 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Gojira18 wrote: Agreed. But only because I think it's one of only 2 GOOD 70's Godzilla films, the second one being Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Hedorah was too weird for me and I can't get past the obvious stock footage in Gigan. I get they had a tight budget, but come on, man!
Hedorah was too out there for me for a long time until I realized just how damn dark it is and how truly 70's it is. It's one of a kind.

Gigan, yeah the stock footage sucks. No doubts there. The movie is just so much damn fun, Gigan is awesome, and the characters and plot are enjoyable. But hey yeah everyone's got different opinions.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.