Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

Post by Dv-218 »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:They literally confirmed it was a relative, not the same.
Exactly lol :lol:

I'm interested in seeing what kind of name they will give it, considering the MUTO's didn't technically have one....
MUTO 2: Electromagnetic Boogaloo (?)
Don't you mean Mu-two? :lol:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

We dreamed of creating the worlds greatest parasite. And we have succeed.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Living Corpse wrote:We dreamed of creating the worlds greatest parasite. And we have succeed.
Does this mean we'll see it deliever a thought provoking speech about the gift of life in the comic? :lol:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dv-218 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:We dreamed of creating the worlds greatest parasite. And we have succeed.
Does this mean we'll see it deliever a thought provoking speech about the gift of life in the comic? :lol:
No, just Godzilla sexually assaulting it.

By spitting fire down it's throat. Make Atomic Fire, not war. Or else Godzilla's gonna spit in your mouth.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

By spitting fire down it's throat. Make Atomic Fire, not war. Or else Godzilla's gonna spit in your mouth.
Nah, i'm pretty sure that's just Godzilla's recipe for grilled M.U.TO Inchillada :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Dv-218 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

Nah, i'm pretty sure that's just Godzilla's recipe for grilled M.U.TO Inchillada :lol:
"Enchilada" you gringo. :lol:
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

So I'm gonna guess the entire battle is depicted on wall murals.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Living Corpse wrote:So I'm gonna guess the entire battle is depicted on wall murals.
Doesn't look like it from the trailer.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

"Enchilada" you gringo. :lol:
Ayy Caramba, I stand corrected :lol:

And from the tralier, it appears that Godzilla and the new titan WILL fight in the present day (sometime after 2014). Though yeah the original battle (the one that presumably sunk the ancient civilization) will probably be shown through the ancient murals. Pretty cool choice imo.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Soo a new M.U.T.O then? I'm fine with this. I wonder if this means the M.U.T.Os will get a name change?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:Soo a new M.U.T.O then? I'm fine with this. I wonder if this means the M.U.T.Os will get a name change?
I wish they would, but honestly i'm not sure how likely it is for this to happen- especially considering the new titan isn't actually a M.U.T.O, but a related species.
I do hope that considering the change from "M.U.T.O" to "Titan" happened, the Mutos will be mentioned under a new name in either the comic or the movie.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Dv-218 wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:Soo a new M.U.T.O then? I'm fine with this. I wonder if this means the M.U.T.Os will get a name change?
I wish they would, but honestly i'm not sure how likely it is for this to happen- especially considering the new titan isn't actually a M.U.T.O, but a related species.
I do hope that considering the change from "M.U.T.O" to "Titan" happened, the Mutos will be mentioned under a new name in either the comic or the movie.
Maybe not Titan, it's a little generic. I don't have any ideas as what you could call them? maybe a portmanteau of nucule and parasite?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

This specific kaiju will probably get an in comic name but I doubt the pair from the film will get a new name other than Muto

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

So, this is canon right? This announcement has made me want to go back and read the other two tie in graphic novels. But before I do that, a few questions:

Are they actually canon?

Are they good? Meaning, and I going to just be left with questions about continuity and consistency after reading them?

And, in general, are they fun reads?

I just wanna get these answered before spending any money.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KingKaiju wrote:So, this is canon right? This announcement has made me want to go back and read the other two tie in graphic novels.
Are you including the Kong comic? Otherwise, it's just Godzilla: Awakening.
KingKaiju wrote: Are they actually canon?

They exist in a realm of "pseudocanon" in which nothing in the film contradicts their existence, but the film also doesn't reference them. They're canon but at the same time, they're not.
KingKaiju wrote: Are they good? Meaning, and I going to just be left with questions about continuity and consistency after reading them?
I mean, that depends on how in-depth you've looked into the MV continuity. Awakening has some pretty "out there" claims IMO, especially if you've seen G14 only and haven't read the comic before it.

But as reads, they're alright. Fun little tidbits to possibly add to your already existing enjoyment of the MV. I personally wouldn't pay more than $10 for them.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

UltramanGoji wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:So, this is canon right? This announcement has made me want to go back and read the other two tie in graphic novels.
Are you including the Kong comic? Otherwise, it's just Godzilla: Awakening.
KingKaiju wrote: Are they actually canon?

They exist in a realm of "pseudocanon" in which nothing in the film contradicts their existence, but the film also doesn't reference them. They're canon but at the same time, they're not.
KingKaiju wrote: Are they good? Meaning, and I going to just be left with questions about continuity and consistency after reading them?
I mean, that depends on how in-depth you've looked into the MV continuity. Awakening has some pretty "out there" claims IMO, especially if you've seen G14 only and haven't read the comic before it.

But as reads, they're alright. Fun little tidbits to possibly add to your already existing enjoyment of the MV. I personally wouldn't pay more than $10 for them.
Definitely including Kong. Just thought it’d be something interesting to read, that’ll add to the mythology of the monsterverse. I don’t really care for actual tie ins or references in the films. I just don’t want to come out of it being confused as to how or why everything fits in.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

KingKaiju wrote:So, this is canon right? This announcement has made me want to go back and read the other two tie in graphic novels. But before I do that, a few questions:

Are they actually canon?
Yep. All canon according to Legendary
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

The Godzilla Awakening comic has some stuff I dislike but I do like the Shinomaru monster. I did enjoy the Skull Island comic. Hopefully Aftershock will be even better. I really don't mind this monster being a Muto or something like it esque since I don't want the natural enemy monster being pushed completely away with Toho monsters coming in. I mean I wouldn't have been upset if it was new monster either.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

daveblackeye15 wrote:The Godzilla Awakening comic has some stuff I dislike but I do like the Shinomaru monster. I did enjoy the Skull Island comic. Hopefully Aftershock will be even better. I really don't mind this monster being a Muto or something like it esque since I don't want the natural enemy monster being pushed completely away with Toho monsters coming in. I mean I wouldn't have been upset if it was new monster either.
Yeah, and even if the MUTOs and Skullcrawlers never come back in a movie, the comics keep them from just being one off monsters.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Edited.
Last edited by Chris55 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.