Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Post by eabaker »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Not sure where to put this but why did Toho stop using Tohoscope with the Heisei films?
Kawakita mentioned at one point that monsters appeared larger in the 1.85:1 format to Toho went with that.
I can't remember who it was, but I read an interview with someone on the staff of the Heisei series who said something along the lines of "Godzilla is impressive because of his height, not his width."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Not sure where to put this but why did Toho stop using Tohoscope with the Heisei films?
Kawakita mentioned at one point that monsters appeared larger in the 1.85:1 format to Toho went with that.
I can't remember who it was, but I read an interview with someone on the staff of the Heisei series who said something along the lines of "Godzilla is impressive because of his height, not his width."
T H I C C
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Toho was using flat widescreen before Kawakita took over as SFX director. In fact, Japanese studios kind of abandoned scope by the late '70s. There are incredibly few scope films from Japanese studios between ~1978 and ~1999. I'm not sure the reason, but it was more than just the Godzilla series that was being shot in 1.85.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

I remember enjoying this movie my first viewing five years ago, thought the action was nice. Nowadays, I get bored with every subsequent viewing. The pacing, perhaps?
Member of the League of Shadows.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Bane wrote:I remember enjoying this movie my first viewing five years ago, thought the action was nice. Nowadays, I get bored with every subsequent viewing. The pacing, perhaps?
I also get more and more bored by this one with each viewing. The pacing is definitely poor. The movie moves decently up through the Kyoto attack, but after that it mostly just spins its wheels until the climax.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

eabaker wrote:
Bane wrote:I remember enjoying this movie my first viewing five years ago, thought the action was nice. Nowadays, I get bored with every subsequent viewing. The pacing, perhaps?
I also get more and more bored by this one with each viewing. The pacing is definitely poor. The movie moves decently up through the Kyoto attack, but after that it mostly just spins its wheels until the climax.
It's rather unfortunate, I felt as though this film had a rather unique story. If it was handled with more care, it could have still remained as one of the best films of the Heisei series.
Member of the League of Shadows.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Bane wrote:
eabaker wrote:
It's rather unfortunate, I felt as though this film had a rather unique story. If it was handled with more care, it could have still remained as one of the best films of the Heisei series.
Agreed. I think the biggest narrative mistake was probably putting the focus on Azusa's relationship with Baby, rather than letting Miki fill that role. Since it is Miki who undergoes the biggest change and faces the major moral struggle of the movie - learning to see Godzilla as a living creature deserving of empathy, and then being asked to fire the weapon that will kill him - keeping her in the background while putting the emphasis on a much less interesting character was a poor decision.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I don't think any film in the series has gone from being so high on fans lists to dropping so low.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla21 wrote:I don't think any film in the series has gone from being so high on fans lists to dropping so low.
Right? In the mid-90s, this was the modern Godzilla movie to watch according to most polls and write-ups.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I remember G Fan acting like it was the best film ever.

I can still find some enjoyment in the film. But its def gone from my top 10 to top 20.
SpaceG92 wrote:

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I personally love this film but it has been a while since I've watched it. With that being said while it does have the weakest visual design I think MG2 deserves a bit more recognition I mean as far as I can recall of the top of my head he's the only one of Godzilla's opponents to actually KILL Godzilla. Many have beaten him but killing the Big Guy is something else entirely.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

But, I mean, he does it via Deus Ex Machina. It's not like he did it with his combat abilities (despite some fans insistence that he would have). He was basically just a big gun that someone else pulled the trigger of; a psychic-assisted kill-shot to an invented one-film weakness delivered via a MechaGodzilla-shaped container for a glorified taser.

Honestly, Miki Segusa is the one who killed Godzilla. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Head canon/fan theory: is the plasma grenade an upgraded version of the reflection technology used in Super X2?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

This is one of my favorite movies. I saw this when I was 18 back in 2006. My school had to start late due to something with the SAT's/MEAP's, I forgot which one. I caught either the final 1/2 or the final 2/3. I was impressed. What really blew me away was just how powerful and durable the Heisei Mechagodzilla truly was. It killed Rodan and crippled, if not temporarily killed, Godzilla. Very few could claim those feats.

I saw the whole thing years later. I was even more impressed. The story is good and the musical score, sets, and SFX are great. Rodan's redesign is fantastic, although I do wish that he'd been made more durable. We also got Godzilla's son and the storyline connection between him and Rodan being his big brother is really interesting. The Heisei Mechagodzilla is a bit of a mixed bag. Yeah, he has that dopey grin and the hips are a bit large, but his capabilities and durability make up for that.

The message of organic life eventually trumping that of technology is a nice one.

One of the better Godzilla movies of the Heisei era.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've never been impressed with the movie as a whole, although I did enjoy it more than I expected to on the last viewing in 2013. I will agree that Mechagodzilla's power is a spectacle, particularly the Plasma Grenade. It's not every day you see a beam weapon hit hard enough to pick Godzilla up and throw him.

And it should always be reiterated that Ifukube knocked this movie's score out of the park.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Why do you guys supposed this movie was so highly regarded when it came out yet has fallen so much from grace? Its unlike any other film in the series. Everyone knew SpaceGodzilla sucked from day one. Yet this one has fallen hard
SpaceG92 wrote:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla21 wrote:Why do you guys supposed this movie was so highly regarded when it came out yet has fallen so much from grace? Its unlike any other film in the series. Everyone knew SpaceGodzilla sucked from day one. Yet this one has fallen hard
The initial response had a lot to do with spectacle, and spectacle doesn't always have a lot of repeat value. Some movies get better and better with each viewing, and some... not so much.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Well...Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II is tied for my favorite of this era...
(along with Biollante)...and I have to be honest & state that it isn't
perfect but for me it is the most most balanced & even of the Heisei
films with great kaiju, great action, likeable characters & a tremendous
finale.

For me everything fits together nicely into a complete 90's Godzilla film.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Its monster lineup has to be a factor in that initial popularity. Besides Godziller himself (with the addition of a flashy new beam), it resurrected Rodan as an enemy-turned-ally for Godzilla, redesigned Mechagodzilla as a human built 'good guy' with some kickass abilities, and gave us a new Son of Godzilla that wasn't Minya. It's easy to take those things for granted twenty-five years later, but they must've been a big deal at the time.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:Its monster lineup has to be a factor in that initial popularity. Besides Godziller himself (with the addition of a flashy new beam), it resurrected Rodan as an enemy-turned-ally for Godzilla, redesigned Mechagodzilla as a human built 'good guy' with some kickass abilities, and gave us a new Son of Godzilla that wasn't Minya. It's easy to take those things for granted twenty-five years later, but they must've been a big deal at the time.
And for me the best thIng about these "developments" is they feel natural
& earned...like the series was slowly building up momentum & stakes as
it went on.

First Godzilla on his own...
Then Godzilla vs. a clone...
Then Ghidorah returned...
Then Mothra returned with the added twist of an Evil Mothra...
& then MechaGodzilla, Rodan & a new Son of Godzilla...

It felt like a natural escalation of stakes...which is why I find
SpaceGodzilla so lackluster & Destoroyah has its moments...but
its a fairly uneven film carried mainly by an amazing Godzilla suit
& the meltdown threat running throughout it.

I'm not really a Destoroyah fan either...

He's just a recycled version of Hedorah with ties to the oxygen
destroyer...and it feels incredibly forced in my opinion.

I remember reading GvMGII was meant to be the final film of the
Heisei series...but there was a change of plans...and I can honestly
state it would have been a fitting end for the series.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!