City on the Edge of Battle - Reviews

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
alextheburger
Yojimbo

Re: City on the Edge of Battle - Reviews

Post by alextheburger »

The first time I saw the movie was with friends, we stayed up all night, the hype was building for 3:00 am (when it came out in our timezone) I am the Godzilla fan of my friends but my other friends are anime fans and we all enjoyed the first film quite a bit. 3:00 am came and we saw it was on Netflix finally, we hit the lights and turned it on. The hype was at full intensity. We watched the film and me (a enormous Godzilla fan) almost fell asleep partially because of the time and watched the movie subbed (subs takes more to comprehend) so I was left horribly disappointed by it the first time . Later that day, I watched the film again this time dubbed, I really enjoyed it more. I think that the film has way to much talking in it and not enough Godzilla and the love story kinda just starts out of no where and why didn't they actually have mechagodzilla in it , I like the idea of the city but it was poorly executed I think it would be kinda cool if it was like in how Godzilla 2000 where orga uses internet cords to attack Godzilla, how about use buildings to collapse on there own onto Godzilla and turn into nanometal and encase Godzilla. I do like the score of the film. And the moral debate haruo has to have defeat Godzilla, but loose his humanity or let Godzilla get away and keep his humanity.
I enjoyed city on the edge of battle . But is bad in parts
for the record one of my friends hated it
the other liked it but not as much as me
S T E E L Y O U R S E L V E S !

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Well, guess I'm gonna be the a hole here who says that not only did I not like this movie, I REALLY didn't like this movie.

Pros
- Musical score
- Animation (To an extent)
- Haruo mourning Yuko's "death" (Actually really good voice acting)
- The idea of the nanometal

Cons *Cracks knuckles*
-Any character development for Haruo is reverted at the last minute
-Boring side characters
-Several laps in logic with the characters
-Recycled and boring as hell climax from the first movie
-Godzilla screen-time that makes 2014 blush
-Uninspiring robot designs
-No Mechagodzilla or Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla fights
-Wasting Godzilla himself (Just walking, falling, roaring, and a few atomic breaths)
- Way too much exposition
- Pacing of a slug
- Could predict the "destroyer" would be Ghidorah the second they started talking about him
Honestly, it may be one of my least favorite Godzilla films to date. Not QUITE as bad as 1998 or Godzilla's Revenge, but around the same caliber as Megalon and Gigan. 4/10.

alextheburger
Yojimbo

Post by alextheburger »

i do agree godzilla's screen time is absurdly short that was probably another reason i was dozing off
i normally never fall asleep during a movie ive never seen
mechagodzilla is a original design but im not sure i fully hate it
S T E E L Y O U R S E L V E S !