Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Worse human character out of any Kaiju film

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Ford Brody (Godzilla 2014)
No votes
Pteranodon guy (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2)
14%
Haruo Sakaki (Godzilla Anime)
57%
Dr. Stewart (War of the Gargantuas)
14%
Kennys (Showa Era Child characters)
No votes
Chujo (Tokyo SOS)
No votes
Other (If other, please specify who)
14%

Total votes: 7

Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film Poll.

Post by Dv-218 »

While Ford is boring, he's just that. Boring. I don't care about him either way, he's just a bland character. I wish they would have written an actual lead, but he doesn't annoy me as much as he bores the hell out of me.

Haruo however might be the first Godzilla character that I truly can't stand. His terribly written "been there done that" motivation, obnoxious and whiny behavior, clichè anime boy angst and his selfish revenge driven agenda make me roll my eyes every time I watch both films.

Not to mention, his careless suicide actions caused as much deaths as Godzilla did. And yet we're supposed to root for the fucker.
COTEOB sorta redeemed him with his self realization, but it still doesn't excuse all of the shit he commited.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:I definitely thought this was limited to Godzilla. Just gonna say that I really can't fucking stand that weird guy in Gamera 3 that laughs awkwardly as all hell and says "this is so scary!" as rubble falls on him. Can't remember his name. But good LORD does that guy really knock that film down a peg or two for me.
Really? I absolutely love Kurata! but I'm a sucker for slightly fey villains.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I definitely thought this was limited to Godzilla. Just gonna say that I really can't fucking stand that weird guy in Gamera 3 that laughs awkwardly as all hell and says "this is so scary!" as rubble falls on him. Can't remember his name. But good LORD does that guy really knock that film down a peg or two for me.
To be entirely fair, I've only been exposed to the dubbed version; the Gamera 3 blu-ray I have is one of those defective ones that doesn't have proper English subtitles for the Japanese audio. Being someone who R E A L L Y has a hard time with dubbed voices as it is, that doesn't help the cause.

I dig his whole...vibe. Like when he stands off in a corner and says something dark and cryptic. But GOD that scene just...ugh. If I heard the actual Japanese voice track, it might change my mind? I'm not sure.

Maybe I just hate his Dub Voice Actor :lol:
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
To be entirely fair, I've only been exposed to the dubbed version; the Gamera 3 blu-ray I have is one of those defective ones that doesn't have proper English subtitles for the Japanese audio. Being someone who R E A L L Y has a hard time with dubbed voices as it is, that doesn't help the cause.

I dig his whole...vibe. Like when he stands off in a corner and says something dark and cryptic. But GOD that scene just...ugh. If I heard the actual Japanese voice track, it might change my mind? I'm not sure.

Maybe I just hate his Dub Voice Actor :lol:
I've never even seen the dubs for GII or GIII, but I haven't heard especially good things...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ford Brody. He's so bland that we can't make any jokes about him, he's just there. At least we can make fun of Harou and the pterodactyl skreeonker :lol:
Dv-218 wrote:
Not to mention, his careless suicide actions caused as much deaths as Godzilla did. And yet we're supposed to root for the skreeonker.
COTEOB sorta redeemed him with his self realization, but it still doesn't excuse all of the poop he commited.
I think that was intentional in the first film, the careless suicide actions. He's a soldier, and in tough times the people we're supposed to root for can't always "be clean". When I say it's intentional, well the anime isn't exactly keen on showing mankind in a positive light. Ya know, getting skreeonked by deus ex machina after deus ex machina :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

You know you can edit your original thread to add a poll, right?

Added in 54 seconds:
Anyway, it's a hard choice between Stewart purely for his performance or Haruo for being just an all-around terribly written character.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The choices should've been more diverse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote:The choices should've been more diverse.
Agreed.

At the very least, the absence of Captain Gordon is astonishing.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:The choices should've been more diverse.
Agreed.

At the very least, the absence of Captain Gordon is astonishing.
Or Ichiro.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Seriously? Heisei and Millenium were filled with far worse protagonists. Even, rarely, Showa.

You people and your hate-on for Ford Brody... :roll:
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MrGoji1999
Monarch Researcher

Post by MrGoji1999 »

There should be more choices, but between the choices we have for now, Ford may be dull and uninteresting but he never annoyed me, I was glad that he got his happy ending so we can have a more compelling lead in the sequel, Pteranodon Guy was annoying but I don´t have too memories of him, maybe I have to rewatch GvsMG II to have a clear opinion about him.

For me, this is easily a draw between Stewart and Haruo. On one hand, Stewart had an actor who did a very awful, uninterested perfomance, while Haruo is just an terribly written character, with the typical angsty, "grudge against someone" stereotype character that just irks every time he talks.
Last edited by MrGoji1999 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I have become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds- J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

LegendZilla wrote:
Or Ichiro.
What's bad about him?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

For the record, Pteranodon Guy’s name is Aoki and he’s just fine...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:For the record, Pteranodon Guy’s name is Aoki and he’s just fine...
Yeah, whatever problems I have with that movie, Aoki is not one of them. I actually seem to remember him being a fairly well-regarded character among fans at the time of the movie's release.

Captain Gordon gets my vote. Easily.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
Out of any kaiju film? I'm sorry but that's a heavy, heavy "no way" from me.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Don Fry himself is a POS (Likewise Robert Scott), but I enjoy Gordon. I think he suits the movie he's in just fine.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Don Fry himself is a POS (Likewise Robert Scott), but I enjoy Gordon. I think he suits the movie he's in just fine.
That's shocking. They were really friendly when I talked to them both at G-FEST this year (both outside their panels/autograph sessions). Guess we've had different experiences, then. :|

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Okay.

I can't think of another character/actor in the genre who plays such a major role, and - for me - so completely ruins any scene he's a part of.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

All of these replies and only one person mentioned Toshio from the first Gamera film?

That kid's an unlikable nutjob with no redeeming qualities at all. He's either gonna become an axe murderer who wears people's faces as Halloween masks when he grows up, or he's gonna become best friends with a padded cell. Nothing good can come from a kid that seriously thinks their tiny-ass turtle they just released into the wild Ultraman'd into a giant fire-breathing/eating monster.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

NSZ wrote:All of these replies and only one person mentioned Toshio from the first Gamera film?

That kid's an unlikable nutjob with no redeeming qualities at all. He's either gonna become an axe murderer who wears people's faces as Halloween masks when he grows up, or he's gonna become best friends with a padded cell. Nothing good can come from a kid that seriously thinks their tiny-ass turtle they just released into the wild Ultraman'd into a giant fire-breathing/eating monster.
Yeah. That kid really tanked any enjoyment I might have gotten out of the otherwise dull movie.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.