[YouTube video] Why You Should Watch Godzilla (And How To Start)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Tek
Monsterland Worker

[YouTube video] Why You Should Watch Godzilla (And How To Start)

Post by Tek »

Obviously, this isn't a guide that any of us need... since we're all pretty big G-Fans in some form or fashion. But even so, I found this video refreshingly professional, slick and well presented. The Criterion covers, the scenes he chooses to show at just the right moment, and even the font... he really brings a touch of class to the Godzilla series. Great video for any Godzilla newcomer.

Although, 3 things that slightly irked me... but I'm mostly nitpicking:

1. Calling the Heisei series the VS. series, not once referring to it as the Heisei series
2. Recommending Godzilla vs. Megalon as an "essential" Godzilla film
3. Ditto Son of Godzilla, but to a lesser degree. I thought that film was fun. But hardly "essential"

Other than those 3 tidbits, really awesome video.

What do you guys think?

Edit: I think the best compliment possible is... after I watched this, I want to do a gawd damn Godzilla marathon on one of these rainy weekends coming up in the next month or so :) Really makes me want to revisit some G-Films I haven't seen in 8-10 years.

Last edited by Tek on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: [YouTube video] Why You Should Watch Godzilla (And How To Start)

Post by Spuro »

That was a nice watch. Thanks for linking it.

So much negativity on TK with people complaining about all the things they *don't* like in the series, it's nice to have some unabashed positivity for a change.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I agree, this video popped up in my feed a couple days ago but avoided it thinking it’d be one of those trashy videos hosted by someone who had zero clue what they were talking about but I’m glad I decided to give it a watch.
I agree mostly with this. 8/10
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Cosmavoid makes great content, one of my favorite guys on Youtube.
Last edited by KillCrites on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Megalon may not be good, but it is a highly important icon of the franchise, at least in the West. And for sheer fun value, its final battle is real tough to top. I can see treating it as essential. 'Course, in my book, they're all essential, but still...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The “Vs. Series” label is, I think, primarily a Japanese thing, but it was used by fans here when those movies were still somewhat new.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah it's a great video. It's nice seeing someone with a more objective approach.

The same guy makes great videos all around on other monster franchises as well.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:The “Vs. Series” label is, I think, primarily a Japanese thing, but it was used by fans here when those movies were still somewhat new.
And it remains very much my personal preference, especially as it gets around the problem that historically we're still in the Heisei era.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I feel like it's potentially confusing for new fans, given that several movie titles from Showa and Millennium also contain a 'vs.' Continuity is complex enough for this franchise, you know?
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think labeling them as “Heisei” would be even more confusing.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

UltramanGoji wrote:I think labeling them as “Heisei” would be even more confusing.
Confusing to non-fans with knowledge of the Inperial Japanese succession system maybe, which I would argue is a relatively narrow group, but not to the fans who care about distinguishing the film eras. It’s primary function is as a clear, distinguishing word, the source of the word is kinda just trivia.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:That was a nice watch. Thanks for linking it.

So much negativity on TK with people complaining about all the things they *don't* like in the series, it's nice to have some unabashed positivity for a change.
But now are we not bashing the video about some things we disliked about that?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Damn, that was a surprisingly well done video- I love seeing a more objective point of view about this franchise from time to time. I agree with most of his points regarding where to start. This guy has some great content on his channel.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That's a good video to bring in new people. The recommendations I mostly agree with.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Cosmavoid makes some fantastic videos. I highly recommend checking out the rest of his stuff.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

That was a great watch, and I loved the perspectives he brought into his recommendations.

Picking 1954, Mothra Vs. Godzilla, and G2K as his three starting points actually makes a lot of the sense. The original, the best of the 60s, and a good starting point for the modern era without huge ties to continuity.

I also like that he pointed out that the Showa and Millennium films can mostly be watched in any order without a lot of concern for continuity. Even direct sequels like Terror of Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs. Monster Zero are fairly easy to follow without having seen the previous film. The Heisei film is a bit of a different beast where it is almost an all or nothing deal, although I'd say you can probably skip the weaker entries (Vs. Mothra and Vs. Spacegodzilla) and you'll be okay.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.