Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

Post by KillCrites »

Inspired by "Your fears for World of Godzilla", this place needs more positivity.

I hope for:
- Obscure monsters getting bigger roles.
- I want the directors/writers to have complete freedom over their individual films as long as it fits within the universe's canon. Each movie should have its own identity.
- A good mix of practical and digital effects, similar to Shin.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Yeah, basically what you said. I'd like to see more inspired directors and writers handle the series. More miniatures would be great to see, loved it when they were used in Shin.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I agree except for the "as long as it fits with the universe's canon" caveat.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

eabaker wrote:I agree except for the "as long as it fits with the universe's canon" caveat.
I should've said "as long as it doesn't contradict anything previously established".

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KillCrites wrote:
eabaker wrote:I agree except for the "as long as it fits with the universe's canon" caveat.
I should've said "as long as it doesn't contradict anything previously established".
Yeah, but even there I personally still wouldn't want that as a restriction. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I think it'd be neat if, like, to fit with any retroactive contradictions, the "World of Godzilla" wasn't just one single timeline, but an entire multiverse of alternate timelines, and each film could be to each other like what Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla was to Godzilla, where 90% happened, but 10% changes for the sequel. That, or supplementary material, like novelizations, manga/comics, and guidebooks could write around the continuity errors.

You know how Marvel and DC have all these different timelines where an event in one universe leads to a whole bunch of others? Something like that, kinda.

Last edited by Gerdzerl on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

That the new Toho film series doesn't begin and end with Godzilla.

I don't want him to be the center of this universe. Center adjacent . . . a major player, yes, but absolutely not it's sole raison d être.
Last edited by Shin Gabara on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . .

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I’d love for Godzilla’s presence to be turned into a curse like it was alluded to in Godzilla X Mechagodzilla, where after Godzilla’s first initial attack, his trail of radiation attracts the likes of more monsters who raid the country.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'll echo Shin Gabara; it would be nice if the other monsters were given true respect and status in their own right. And survive for more than a single movie, ideally.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

I'd actualky go slightly further and reduce the focus on kaiju overall. Don't make every film in this new Toho Cinematic Universe a monster movie. From the mid 50's through the late 70's there is a metric frak-ton of connected material to mine from that makes for a much meatier start than 'Oh, no! A giant monster is attacking Tokyo!'
. . .

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I hope the monsters actually *move* for once. How Toho's CGI Godzilla's have been more stiff and lifeless than the heaviest suits of the past is beyond me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I hope the monsters actually *move* for once. How Toho's CGI Godzilla's have been more stiff and lifeless than the heaviest suits of the past is beyond me.
Is movement necessary for your enjoyment?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I hope the monsters actually *move* for once. How Toho's CGI Godzilla's have been more stiff and lifeless than the heaviest suits of the past is beyond me.
Is movement necessary for your enjoyment?
That entirely depends on the movie surrounding it. Shin Godzilla manages to be an interesting and engaging story, so no, the animation of Godzilla was not necessary for my enjoyment (though it was certainly a disappointment.)

In a movie like Monster Planet, which I thought was full of bland or downright unlikable characters, repetitive and dull storytelling, pointless plotlines, and unrealized potential? Yeah, the fact that even the monster scenes were slow, ponderous, and dull really hurt its entertainment value.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I just want a traditional man in suit Godzilla movie. Back to the basics.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

TyrantGojira wrote:I just want a traditional man in suit Godzilla movie. Back to the basics.
If they do go back to the 1 movie a year thing that's probably the best way to go about it.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

A film written by Yoshihiro Togashi and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Hideaki Anno was stiff competition for the original film, though I think my suggested combination would unquestionably trump it. But both Togashi and Miyazaki together is probably overkill. Besides, Miyazaki alone is enough for masterpiece-level cinema.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I hope that we will not get a non-stop sprinkling of Mothra and Ghidorah

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote:I hope that we will not get a non-stop sprinkling of Mothra and Ghidorah
Still not as bad as Godzilla. They won't stop putting him in movies. We're getting tired of him!

:P

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I hope that we will not get a non-stop sprinkling of Mothra and Ghidorah
Still not as bad as Godzilla. They won't stop putting him in movies. We're getting tired of him!
Agreed. Just can the series, Toho, no one wants to see your rubber monster movies any more.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just want as many new monsters as Toho can pull out. The same few can get a bit stale now and then.