Lost Project Discussion: Clive Barker's Godzilla Treatment (1993)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Lost Project Discussion: Clive Barker's Godzilla Treatment (1993)

Post by G2000 »

After TriStar bought the rights to Godzilla in October 1992, they solicited a number of writers to pitch story concepts for their planned film. Among these was Clive Barker, the British horror and fantasy novelist best known for his Books of Blood anthologies, his 1986 novel The Hellbound Heart, and for writing and directing The Hellbound Heart's film adaptation, Hellraiser (1987). During his meeting with Sony executives in March 1993, he presented his concept for a new Godzilla movie. The producers would eventually choose Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio to write the script for Godzilla - a script that, as most here know, was ultimately rejected in 1994 when Sony executives decided it would be too expensive to film, kicking off a chain of events that ultimately resulted in Emmerich and Devlin's disastrous 1998 adaptation.

There exists very little information about Clive Barker's Godzilla pitch outside of a few scattered anecdotes. In his 1998 book Japan's Favorite Mon-Star: The Unauthorized Biography of the "Big G," Steve Ryfle writes that studio executives found Barker's concepts "too dark" for the summer blockbuster they planned to make. In the first article of the fantastic Godzilla: Unmade series from Sci-Fi Japan about the cancelled film based on the Rossio/Elliot script, it is alleged that Barker's story was set in New York City during the last days of 1999, suggesting an apocalyptic premise based around the many predictions at the time that the world would end when the new millennium arrived. If that information is true, it is worth noting that the first draft of the Rossio/Elliot script and the 1995 rewrite by Don Macpherson both seem to have borrowed the 1999 New York setting from Barker (especially Macpherson, who goes as far as to have a date clock reading "1999" damaged so that it appears to read "666" during the Gryphon's rampage in Manhattan). As an interesting side note, Toho later considered making their own movie based around the world ending in the year 2000. Entitled Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan, the unmade film would have reimagined Varan as a mythical harbinger of the end times, with the climax taking place on December 31, 1999.

Despite (or perhaps because) of the limited information about Barker's Godzilla pitch, I would very much like to know more about it. In particular, I am intrigued by the December 1999 setting and the apocalyptic implications of it. It would be neat if someone could ask the guy himself to give more details, but given that he presented his concept more than 25 years ago I wouldn't be surprised if he had completely forgotten about it.

Your thoughts? I know the limited information means there isn't much to discuss, but I still find it interesting.
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:47 am, edited 12 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Clive Barker's Godzilla Treatment (1993)

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Oh man, I would have fan girl'd at the thought of a Clive Barker Godzilla, I had no clue this was even a thing...
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I love Clive Barker to death, and would definitely like to know more just for curiosity's sake, but I'm not sure he would necessarily be the right person for the job.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Apocalyptic Godzilla is such a fascinating concept. I would have liked to see how this and God's Angry Messenger would have turned out.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I could see Godzilla developing some major body horror aspects, which would be an interesting take on the “nuclear abomination” concept.
I love Clive Barker, certainly one of my all time favorite authors, so I’d be on board in a heart beat for his take on Godzilla.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Holy crap, Clive Barker did a Godzilla pitch?! Damn, I would love to know more about this....Clive Barker is a great horror writer, a dark, full on horror take of his on Godzilla would have been amazing. I guess he would have taken the "nuclear abomination" concept to a max.

Also, i'm even more suprised to hear Toho actually wanted to put Varan in a movie as far as 1995. The poor bastard just has no luck lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Dv-218 wrote: Also, i'm even more suprised to hear Toho actually wanted to put Varan in a movie as far as 1995. The poor bastard just has no luck lol.
This. It's such a crime because Varan is such a good film.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Apocalyptic Godzilla is such a fascinating concept. I would have liked to see how this and God's Angry Messengerwould have turned out.
Had never heard of this one before, actually. Any information on it? All I can find from Google is that it was an unmade film from the 1970s about Godzilla awakening and wreaking havoc upon the world, and that it’s alternate title/subtitle was God of Godzillas.

I agree that a truly apocalyptic Godzilla film would be a really neat thing to see.
Dv-218 wrote:Holy crap, Clive Barker did a Godzilla pitch?! Damn, I would love to know more about this....Clive Barker is a great horror writer, a dark, full on horror take of his on Godzilla would have been amazing. I guess he would have taken the "nuclear abomination" concept to a max.

Also, i'm even more suprised to hear Toho actually wanted to put Varan in a movie as far as 1995. The poor bastard just has no luck lol.
Part of me wonders if Barker would have played up the mythological and religious aspects of Godzilla instead of (or maybe in addition to) the nuclear aspects. Tying him in with the Biblical Leviathan, the Book of Revelation, etc. Considering his background in supernatural horror and dark fantasy, I think that might have been the direction he would have taken it.

I really wish someone was able to contact or interview him about this, but as I said earlier, I would be surprised if he even remembered.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

G2000 wrote:
Had never heard of this one before, actually. Any information on it? All I can find from Google is that it was an unmade film from the 1970s about Godzilla awakening and wreaking havoc upon the world, and that it’s alternate title/subtitle was God of Godzillas.

I agree that a truly apocalyptic Godzilla film would be a really neat thing to see.
From John LeMay's book on lost films.

You guys could always ask Barker himself, he has a list of his pages on his site. Perhaps we could also get some site staff to pester him.
http://www.clivebarker.info/newsaddress.html
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Suddenly my fan fic doesn't seem too dark.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Such a shame there's so little info on this- would have loved hearing Clive's ideas for a Godzilla movie.
I wonder if it would have been a "vs" movie like the 94 script, or a full on Godzilla vs humanity solo movie. The apocalyptic setting and the comment about it being "too dark" make me think it could have been the latter.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Living Corpse wrote:Suddenly my fan fic doesn't seem too dark.
Thanks for sharing. :)

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Man, this pitch sounds stellar. I hope a truly apocalyptic Godzilla movie is something that happens in the future.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Interesting, albeit what little we have. I wonder if Clive would've utilised the Oxygen Destroyer.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Suddenly my fan fic doesn't seem too dark.
Thanks for sharing. :)
No problem Captain Sarcasm.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:From John LeMay's book on lost films.

You guys could always ask Barker himself, he has a list of his pages on his site. Perhaps we could also get some site staff to pester him.
God’s Angry Messenger definitely sounds interesting. Godzilla’s origin sounds quite similar to the one in the Rossio/Elliot 1994 script, and the elements about the Nazca lines and all seem to have been recycled by Toho for their unproduced Heisei Bagan films.

It’s worth a try, but Barker seems a bit hard to reach. His pages seem to be largely run by other people, and there’s a little note under the “Mailing Address” heading that notes that he no longer responds to personal letters. On the other hand, we’re never going to learn more about this project unless we make the effort and actually ask the man.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

G2000 wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:From John LeMay's book on lost films.

God’s Angry Messenger definitely sounds interesting. Godzilla’s origin sounds quite similar to the one in the Rossio/Elliot 1994 script, and the elements about the Nazca lines and all seem to have been recycled by Toho for their unproduced Heisei Bagan films.

It’s worth a try, but Barker seems a bit hard to reach. His pages seem to be largely run by other people, and there’s a little note under the “Mailing Address” heading that notes that he no longer responds to personal letters. On the other hand, we’re never going to learn more about this project unless we make the effort and actually ask the man.
I tweeted his twitter account asking him if he'd like to talk about this project but no response yet.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla as an angel of death is an interesting take on the monster. The horror would not only be in how much is destroyed and killed, but also how people react to a world they think is ending.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

G2000 wrote:Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan,the unmade film would have re-imagined Varan as a mythical harbinger of the end times, with the climax taking place on December 31, 1999.
Varan as a mythical harbinger of the end times?

Yeah...that sounds absolutely glorious...I mean
its weird as hell...but I personally like weird.
Last edited by Grievous on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

I can't say that Clive Barker would be the right guy for the job either, but I do agree a fully apocalyptic Godzilla sounds marvellously dark! I also think that Varan deserves a similar treatment. He deserves more attention than just being "that one lizard who glides around" or whatever kids these days call him. I haven't seen his first movie yet, but even then, I know that this majestic beast deserves better.

Anyways, going to back to an apocalyptic Godzilla story, I might have a similar idea for a fanfic of me own, too. :twisted:
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)