GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Maritonic

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:55 am

ManuJM1997 wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:There really was some great buildup in the first half hour. If the "Gojira... Gojira... Gojira..." scene had taken place in any other movie, I guarantee it would be one of the most beloved, classic scenes in the franchise.

This

In general, GINO + 10000 BC + 2012 are the movies that have made me hate Roland Emmerich with passion.
The fact that we didn't get Jan de Bonts version makes more furious than the movie itself, as trashy at it is.

Goddamn, he did 10,000 B.C.?! I forgot ALL about that crap.
Resized Image

"The soil of a man's heart is stonier; a man grows what he can, and tends it.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

ManuJM1997
JXSDF Technician

Postby ManuJM1997 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:03 am

Maritonic wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:There really was some great buildup in the first half hour. If the "Gojira... Gojira... Gojira..." scene had taken place in any other movie, I guarantee it would be one of the most beloved, classic scenes in the franchise.

This

In general, GINO + 10000 BC + 2012 are the movies that have made me hate Roland Emmerich with passion.
The fact that we didn't get Jan de Bonts version makes more furious than the movie itself, as trashy at it is.

Goddamn, he did 10,000 B.C.?! I forgot ALL about that crap.

I've got Vietnam Flashbacks with that crap, sadly cannot forget it :(
Resized Image

Freude, schöner Götterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium
Wir betreten feuertrunken
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt
Alle Menschen werden Brüder
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Pkmatrix » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:51 am

Shobijin wrote:There was no reason to "try something different".

Excuse me?

This is the Godzilla franchise, basically the poster child for "let's try something different" IN EVERY MOVIE. There's literally no other franchise out there with the level of variety this one has. So, no, there's ALWAYS a reason to "try something different" because that's what this series has always thrived on.

The difference with G'98 is that what it tried to do different completely flopped and did not work. There's a few redeeming elements, but doesn't stop it from being just a bad movie.

I agree. The first 30 minutes promise a much better movie than what we ended up with, and every time I've revisited this it always manages to trick me into thinking, "Oh, maybe I've been too hard on this..." But then the second act begins and the movie transforms from a giant monster movie into a bad romantic comedy for the next hour.

ManuJM1997 wrote:

This

10,000 B.C. though, at least IMO, might be savable via a thorough re-editing job. XD

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:28 am

Pkmatrix wrote:The first 30 minutes promise a much better movie than what we ended up with, and every time I've revisited this it always manages to trick me into thinking, "Oh, maybe I've been too hard on this..." But then the second act begins and the movie transforms from a giant monster movie into a bad romantic comedy for the next hour.

This is actually really accurate. I always get tricked and then "lol nope". Garbage.
Resized Image

"The soil of a man's heart is stonier; a man grows what he can, and tends it.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Postby jackzilla » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 am

I have SO many mixed feelings on this movie. Apart of me loves it and apart of me hates it. I do think that it's a really fun, goofy, and entertaining monster movie that's a ton of fun to watch. But...the movie is also a bit of a middle finger to the franchise. Roland Emmerich himself said he didn't even like the Toho movies and thought his version was superior. That alone makes me want to hate the movie. I will never definitively have an opinion on it. I will always have this 50/50 loving it and hating it vibe with it.
LONG LIVE THE KING

VaranTheUnbelievable
Ronin

Postby VaranTheUnbelievable » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Pkmatrix wrote:
Shobijin wrote:There was no reason to "try something different".

Excuse me?

This is the Godzilla franchise, basically the poster child for "let's try something different" IN EVERY MOVIE. There's literally no other franchise out there with the level of variety this one has. So, no, there's ALWAYS a reason to "try something different" because that's what this series has always thrived on.

The difference with G'98 is that what it tried to do different completely flopped and did not work. There's a few redeeming elements, but doesn't stop it from being just a bad movie.

Honestly I've always felt the Tri-Star Godzilla failed not because it tried to be different, but because we were promised something not different. In that I mean, WE, as in not just the hard Godzilla fans but general movie fans as well, were led to believe that this was going to be a big budget version of the Godzilla we were familiar with. Yes, he was going to look a bit different, but he was going to be this big badass dinosaur who breathed fire and stomped on buildings. He was going to huge, imposing and unstoppable.

The promotion for the film (which was arguably the best promotion for any movie in ages) featured a ton of campaign materials about how he was HUGE, how powerful he was, and how it was going to be intense.

Godzilla was going to be taken seriously and for the most part, the movie going public was hungry for this and paying attention.

But then the movie hit and Godzilla didn't seem that huge, he didn't breath fire and he didn't smash anything on purpose. He was weak, running scared for most of the film and easily defeated. We were promised a Godzilla movie, but we got a movie that spent a lot of time making it's main "character" seem weak, the humans were largely played for laughs (again something most people weren't expecting) and then you add in the extra layer of Godzilla looking different and such... And people just disconnected. Not to mention the movie wasn't particularly good on it's own merits, the SFX were middle of the road and lacked the umph that made this feel special and huge chunks of the movie were blatantly derivative of Jurassic Park.

So there was LOTS wrong. But I still think the audiences would have forgiven that it was a bad film, if it had delivered on a cool Godzilla doing Godzilla things. When THAT didn't happen, the whole house of cards fell apart. And I think even if it had somehow managed to be this amazing movie from a script, acting and SFX department but still had a meek and ineffectual Godzilla it still wouldn't have resonated with people.

The marketing promised a badass and people in the US perceived Godzilla as a badass and the thought of a Hollywood made Godzilla film meant he was going to be SUPER badass. But what they delivered wasn't a badass, just bad and ass.

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:16 pm

There is such a thing as being “too different,” and that certainly happened here. Even ignoring the changes to the Godzilla character the movie just isn’t very good. It was also overhyped and I don’t think the marketing plan was all that wise. Keeping your title character hidden, especially when the character is a known property, is just very gimmicky.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:32 pm

If the Debont version of this film was made instead, this fandom would be a much happier place.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:22 pm

LegendZilla wrote:If the Debont version of this film was made instead, this fandom would be a much happier place.

Yeah, I doubt that.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

UltramanGoji
Bad Hombre

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:54 am

LegendZilla wrote:If the Debont version of this film was made instead, this fandom would be a much happier place.

Because all the negativity in the fandom definitely comes from the reaction to one twenty-year old film.

Brilliant, Holmes.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:50 am

UltramanGoji wrote:

Because all the negativity in the fandom definitely comes from the reaction to one twenty-year old film.

Brilliant, Holmes.

Maybe not all, but a ton of it.

SoggyNoodles2016
Banned Hombre

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:30 am

Real talk, I'm actually kinda glad Godzilla 1998 got made. Movie failed on nearly every level but it helped the franchise by giving a standard future films had to avoid and pushing Toho to start the Millenium era to try and fix the mistake. Kind of like how X Men Orgins blew but people wanting to do better gave us the Deadpool films.

#MinillaForSmash2018

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:39 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Real talk, I'm actually kinda glad Godzilla 1998 got made. Movie failed on nearly every level but it helped the franchise by giving a standard future films had to avoid and pushing Toho to start the Millenium era to try and fix the mistake. Kind of like how X Men Orgins blew but people wanting to do better gave us the Deadpool films.

The Debont version just might have set a new standard on its own, not to avoid, but the other way around.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Yet again, I seriously doubt that…
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Dv-218
Futurian

Postby Dv-218 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:12 am

I honestly find it funny how reverse from each other the 94 script and G98 are: the G94 script had a rather strange origin story but got everything else about Godzilla's design and character right, while G98 actually kept the nuclear/atomic element (granted, he/she/it/ is an iguana instead of a prehistoric reptile/dinosaur but still) but completely missed the point and skreeonked up everything else, including Godzilla's character and design along with a terrible story :lol:

(Also, I read somewhere that before the Gryphon was created as an idea, the original plan Elliott and Rossio had was to use Ghidorah. How true is this?)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:59 am, edited 5 times in total.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:06 am

^The 94 script did maintain some nuclear elements did it not? I mean, it still stated that Godzilla himself is a living nuclear reactor and he did feed on radiation.

Dv-218
Futurian

Postby Dv-218 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 am

LegendZilla wrote:^The 94 script did maintain some nuclear elements did it not? I mean, it still stated that Godzilla himself is a living nuclear reactor and he did feed on radiation.

That's true, the script does mention explicitly that Godzilla does not breath fire and works like a living reactor. I was more referring to the origin (him being genetically creates by aliens), though I guess you could say the element is still there.

Imo the fact that G98 retains the nuclear origin element doesn't even matter, as it completely misses the point :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 am

Dv-218 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^The 94 script did maintain some nuclear elements did it not? I mean, it still stated that Godzilla himself is a living nuclear reactor and he did feed on radiation.

That's true, the script does mention explicitly that Godzilla does not breath fire and works like a living reactor. I was more referring to the origin (him being genetically creates by aliens), though I guess you could say it's similar to 2014 (the difference is that one naturally evolved by radiation, while the other was artificially created using radiation).

Imo the fact that G98 retains the nuclear origin element doesn't even matter, as it completely misses the point :lol:

Godzilla did not breath fire in the Debont script?!
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Postby Dv-218 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:19 am

No apperantly, it's stated to be an atomic blast/atomic ray in the script. Basically, the typical atomic breath.
De bont knew what's up lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

G2000
EDF Soldier

Postby G2000 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Dv-218 wrote:(Also, I read somewhere that before the Gryphon was created as an idea, the original plan Elliott and Rossio had was to use Ghidorah. How true is this?)

It’s true, both Rossio and Elliot confirmed it

Terry Rossio confirmed that was indeed his and Elliott’s intent. “We originally wanted to have Godzilla fight King Ghidorah,” he said, but Toho’s popular three-headed space monster was off-limits.3

Ted Elliott provided additional details. “It turned out that our contract specifically stated that we could use any monsters from the Godzilla family of monsters except Rodan, Mothra, or King Ghidorah. I’m sure Toho believes they can license those individually, so they didn’t include them in the Godzilla license,” he revealed. “We were left coming up with our own guy. Let’s see how that works. I think thematically he works a little bit better than Ghidorah would have.”4

Dv-218 wrote:No apperantly, it's stated to be an atomic blast/atomic ray in the script. Basically, the typical atomic breath.
De bont knew what's up lol.

Sort of. It was described as “not really fire ... something so hot it ionizes the oxygen molecules in the air” and it was supposed to start a few feet away from Godzilla’s mouth. Other than that, it was basically the same as Godzilla’s breath - a distinct stream of “fire”, “almost white-hot” in color.
Last edited by G2000 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Return to “Heisei Series (1980's-1998)”