Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by miguelnuva »

Just a thought as Toho's Kong is so different from the other iterations I belive they can use him without legal trouble.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Kong’s PD so yeah, if they were smart.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Kong’s PD so yeah, if they were smart.
I'm not so sure about that.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

It's one of those ideas that's too cool to happen.

There's literally nothing stopping Toho from making their own Godzilla vs Kong film right on the heels of Legendary's Godzilla vs Kong- so, of course, they won't.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

If I recall correctly Universal has control over any Toho Kong outside of Japan because of the deal they made with Toho (through John Beck and later Arthur Rankin) back in the 1960s on the two Toho Kong films. They basically control any distribution in any market outside of the "Far East" pretty much forever. My memory is really hazy here but I seem to recall Keith Aiken mentioning this back around 2004. When he was working for Sony he was able to talk to some people at Toho (back when they were bringing all the Godzilla movies here via home video and in terms of Godzilla 2000 theatrical), and how if they wanted to release a movie with King Kong in it outside of Asia they would have to got through Universal as a distributor. So they could use Kong but wouldn't get a distribution deal outside of Japan and China without Universal.

If Keith posts here you could ask him but I remember it had something to do with that. Again my memory is hazy since we are talking about something I read on a messagboard that Keith posted at nearly a decade and a half ago.
Last edited by The Octopus on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

If they did use King Kong this would be the third time he's been in a Godzilla series, let's get Gamera or bring back Zone Fighter.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I'm not going to say something like that won't happen, but we'll have to wait and see.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Depending on how GvsK actually plays out, I doubt another title match between the two kings will be necessary right away. Those should be what they've always been: very rare and special events. That said, I'd love to see Kong get a recurring side role of some kind in the new series, if not even a few movies of his own. Not likely to happen, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

As I mentioned in another topic, I`m pretty sure they will find a replacement for Kong. Maybe they push King Caesar or Sanda to have a flurry hero in thier universe. They will need one after Legendarys Kong vs Godzilla!
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'd pay to see either of those. Really, with Attack on Titan being as popular as it is, now is a logical time to bring back the Gargantuas. Gaira is a humanoid giant that eats humans, after all.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

If they cant use King Kong then how about a giant Half Human?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:If they cant use King Kong then how about a giant Half Human?
Well, IIRC the KK suit in KKVG was the suit from Half-Human with modifications, soooo....
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Any giant primate could work, I’d love a giant baboon or orangutan.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Ehhhh, a baboon would be pushing it. He wouldn't even be an ape, at that point. Some baboon-like features on an ape body, though, I could get behind.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

If Toho ever does anything with Kong, he better look good. The suits were just awful back in the day. I saw better suits in Three Stooges and Little Rascals episodes. Kong just never seemed to belong in the Godzilla Universe IMO.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I wonder what a modern Toho Kong suit would look like
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

_JNavs_ wrote:I wonder what a modern Toho Kong suit would look like
Same. I'd love one that takes cues from '62 and (more so) '67 just because they had so much Toho charm, despite looking extremely mega-goofy.
And for some reason I just love that Toho Kong grunt.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Major sssspielberg! wrote:
Same. I'd love one that takes cues from '62 and (more so) '67 just because they had so much Toho charm, despite looking extremely mega-goofy.
That grunt they later reused for King Caesar? I fully agree that's one of the greatest kaiju grunts ever, I wonder if they'd make Kong more humanoid in stature or more ape like in a modern film
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Major sssspielberg! wrote:
That grunt they later reused for King Caesar? I fully agree that's one of the greatest kaiju grunts ever, I wonder if they'd make Kong more humanoid in stature or more ape like in a modern film
Fuck yeah m8! That's the one! I'd hope a nice mix of both. I think that's where the K:SI design excelled.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I would hope it would look similar to Rick Baker's Kong suit from 1976, that thing was impressive.

Added in 34 seconds:
Not gonna lie, I'd have no issue with a modernized version of the King Kong Escapes suit returning, there's something so charming about that design to me.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse