Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: Monster Planet Trilogy SPOILERS Discussion

Post by Spuro »

So did that newly released image of Ghidorah's head ever get posted here? I don't see anyone talking about it. Is it considered a leak?
Spoiler:
Looks like an antlion...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:So did that newly released image of Ghidorah's head ever get posted here? I don't see anyone talking about it. Is it considered a leak?
Spoiler:
Looks like an antlion...
Nah, not a leak since it's just close-up pictures of the official poster. The jaws remind me of the ends of earwigs.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:So did that newly released image of Ghidorah's head ever get posted here? I don't see anyone talking about it. Is it considered a leak?
Spoiler:
Looks like an antlion...
I think that's the side-on view from above

Added in 16 days 4 hours 26 minutes 24 seconds:
By the way, who wants to bet the Oratio's disappearance is related to King Ghidorah?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
By the way, who wants to bet the Oratio's disappearance is related to King Ghidorah?
I think so too; but did they ever mention the Oratio in the films? I definitely remember the first novel talking about it.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
I think so too; but did they ever mention the Oratio in the films? I definitely remember the first novel talking about it.
I think it's mentioned at the beginning of POTM, and that's it.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Maritonic wrote:
GojiDog wrote:All I'll say is this third film better be good.

They've been stringing us along for two movies now, and I want something to finally happen.
Nah, I expect another hour and a half of boring exposition, flat bland characters, and Godzilla standing around literally doing nothing except for the 30 seconds TOPS he might actually do something neat.

Ghidorah will probably be a space electrical storm or something, like Galactus was in the crappy Fantastic Four movie.
All Ghidorah needs to do instead of shoot electric gravity beams is spray weed killer out of his mouths instead at "Godzilla". I mean a PLANT Godzilla?!? I really REALLY hate this design for Godzilla. I even rank it below GINO. I feel like Toho/Polygon completely blew it by going the baffling direction they did. The first two movies have bored me to tears. Godzilla is so large, so ugly, so fat and so immobile that he is essentially a (mostly dormant) volcano that can control where his eruptions are directed.

When this anime was first announced, I couldn't fathom any possible way that they could screw it up. Man, was I ever wrong. If Toho is going to start going with this suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper ugly / slow moving Godzilla theme in their new films, then I will have no choice but to bow out and accept the fact that new versions of Godzilla are not for me. I just don't like Godzilla being an ugly, slow, lumbering mountain who needs to take naps in between any kind of activity. Shin and Earth both have this flaw of Godzilla moving as fast as a depressed lethargic snail. I don't get it?!? Who likes/wants that?!
Last edited by FlawedCoil82 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

FlawedCoil82 wrote:Who likes/wants that?!
I do.

Added in 14 minutes 37 seconds:
Adding to my comment:

I prefer my kaiju when they have more meaning than a big monster fighting other monsters in beam wars.
In this case (as well as Shin, OG Godzilla and others), Godzilla's meaning is more deep, he's linked with humanity and Earth in a very interesting way, and I really like the direction of that; I don't really care that much about the monster fights as long as they have meaning, just like the original Godzilla, or the Heisei Gamera Trilogy, or Shin, or this one.

Added in 2 minutes 50 seconds:
Also: you're implying a slow Godzilla is something new, when we've had a lot of slow Gojis through the years, starting with 1954.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

With animation the restrictions of suits vanishes, not to mention it's probably cheaper than big budget CG like in Shin. The potential for incredible, iconic new Godzilla imagery was all there. But they pissed it away for a very boring Godzilla kinda just thrown in to standard drama. The lore is pretty awesome, but that's because it's all of the interesting shit that already happened. What's currently happening isn't that interesting imo The end of the last movie was a nice taste but come on, it's a Godzilla movie. Waiting 2 movies for Godzilla to fight a monster is kind of annoying
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

Destorogoji wrote:
FlawedCoil82 wrote:Who likes/wants that?!
I do.

Added in 14 minutes 37 seconds:
Adding to my comment:

I prefer my kaiju when they have more meaning than a big monster fighting other monsters in beam wars.
In this case (as well as Shin, OG Godzilla and others), Godzilla's meaning is more deep, he's linked with humanity and Earth in a very interesting way, and I really like the direction of that; I don't really care that much about the monster fights as long as they have meaning, just like the original Godzilla, or the Heisei Gamera Trilogy, or Shin, or this one.

Added in 2 minutes 50 seconds:
Also: you're implying a slow Godzilla is something new, when we've had a lot of slow Gojis through the years, starting with 1954.
I would hate to see a Godzilla be so stiff
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Animation is a medium in which things not possible/too expensive to produce in live-action can take place. Everything I've seen in these two movies could feasibly be done with a Toho budget and that's what disappoints me.

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

I agree there. They had a Mechagodzilla whose design and abilities are perfectly suited to exploiting the advantages of animation but they couldn't even follow through on it.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:I agree there. They had a Mechagodzilla whose design and abilities are perfectly suited to exploiting the advantages of animation but they couldn't even follow through on it.
Probably because budget reasons?
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Solia wrote:
TheInfiniteAeon wrote:I agree there. They had a Mechagodzilla whose design and abilities are perfectly suited to exploiting the advantages of animation but they couldn't even follow through on it.
Probably because budget reasons?
I mean, a dude in YouTube made a 20 min long fight of Godzilla Earth Vs Mechagodzilla, and it looks cool af.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I don't think they went the direction they did with Mechagodzilla for budget reasons, I just think it was the story the filmmakers wanted to tell. Whether you think that was the right decision is a matter of personal preference, but I think the "Mechagodzilla City" angle was more in line with the "humanity vs. Godzilla" theme the anime trilogy is focusing on so far. For my view I'll say I think the direction they ultimately went with allowed for a very interesting and impactful climax that I'm not sure would have been possible with a straightforward Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla battle. That probably would have been more exciting, but it could have come at the expense of what I personally felt was a very well-executed and thoughtful climactic scene.

I liked Mechagodzilla City and was satisfied with City on the Edge of Battle, so that's just my two cents. I still won't deny that the anime Mechagodzilla had a lot of unused potential, which I think that fan animation captures nicely.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

King of the Monsters wrote:I don't think they went the direction they did with Mechagodzilla for budget reasons, I just think it was the story the filmmakers wanted to tell. Whether you think that was the right decision is a matter of personal preference, but I think the "Mechagodzilla City" angle was more in line with the "humanity vs. Godzilla" theme the anime trilogy is focusing on so far. For my view I'll say I think the direction they ultimately went with allowed for a very interesting and impactful climax that I'm not sure would have been possible with a straightforward Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla battle. That probably would have been more exciting, but it could have come at the expense of what I personally felt was a very well-executed and thoughtful climactic scene.

I liked Mechagodzilla City and was satisfied with City on the Edge of Battle, so that's just my two cents. I still won't deny that the anime Mechagodzilla had a lot of unused potential, which I think that fan animation captures nicely.
Would you replace the vultures with mechagodzilla?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

UltramanGoji wrote:Animation is a medium in which things not possible/too expensive to produce in live-action can take place. Everything I've seen in these two movies could feasibly be done with a Toho budget and that's what disappoints me.
I feel the same tbh. Animation is a limitless medium and what we have gotten is nothing short of disappointing. It doesn't help that everything in these movies is so dull and lifeless with dark colors, stiff animation, and dead silence. For a planet full of kaiju we really are missing out on kaiju. Why not show a kaiju ecosystem filled with kamacrus and Rodan living around Godzilla? Why not have a kumonga harass our characters? Sure we get the servum but what have they done besides a single rampage through camp? I'm a strong supporter of 2D over 3D in animation but the animation is so lifeless. Movies much older than this one have had fluid and 3D animation full of life, why is everything stiff as a board?
Last edited by Godzillian on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

As much as I too would've loved to see a ecosystem full of kaiju, it wouldn't work for what story they were telling since the whole point is that Godzilla is completely in charge. Everything's Godzilla.
I will say that I have no idea why they couldn't atleast give us a large Servum for humanity to fight like in the manga. (Never thought I would say "like in the manga" haha).
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

An anime where Godzilla is the king to an ecosystem of kaiju would have been a way better premise.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://youtu.be/hM8bP3G3AVM

Just going to leave this here.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ill admit, while it’s clunky, I do really like some of the ideas of what a continually transforming Mechagodzilla could do.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.