Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
eabaker wrote:Just found myself wondering today, considering how long the market has really been limited to the Japanese version and the international dub, how many of the younger fans have no conception at all of the wonder that is the AIP dub of this movie? Popped to my mind specifically when I was quoting the "Superman beats them all!" line in another thread. To me, that's such an iconic moment in Godzilla franchise history, but to a lot of fans now it may be totally meaningless.
Is that the one with the "What a beautiful house it is" line?
No, that is the International dub done in Hong Kong featured on the Sony/Kraken DVDs.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The AIP dub of this film wins, if for no other reason because we get "Save the Earth" which is probably my favorite Godzilla "song" in the entire series, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think this was one of Titan’s weakest English versions (certainly the least of the five Godzilla films recorded with their talent) but it’s still better than the Hong Kong dub, which itself isn’t too bad. I think the child actor that dubbed Ken for Titan gives the best dubbed performance for any child character in the Godzilla series, although that’s a pretty easy accomplishment considering his competition.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I talked about it in another thread, but this film really is like one of those weird music videos that we don't really understand, but over an hour long :lol: . I dunno why such a thought came to me.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Godzilla flying. Enough said.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That is the high point of the film.

The uniqueness of the film makes it a fun one, and the club scene reminds me a little of The Blob. When they see that living sludge moving down the stairs, I can't help comparing it with The Blob. I know The H-Man handled that angle, but I think Anno may have missed something by not playing off of it. Seeing Hedorah ooze like that over Tokyo, or the chunks of Hedorah doing so would have made Hedorah even more terrifying.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Can I just say that while I understand how flawed & strange this film is...

I still love every second of it.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

This is really the zanyist of all the Godzilla movies. Say what you want, but it has a personality all to itself. Not only that, but considering how the environmental movement was just starting to get worldwide attention, this movie stressed just how bad pollution can be to mankind via Hedorah.

That being said, I can't help but wonder if Hedorah himself is too much of a product of his time. I want to see him come back, but I'm not sure how can be done. He might work if he's changed into being something else, but I'm not sure if that would fly with most of the fanbase.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rhedosaurus wrote: That being said, I can't help but wonder if Hedorah himself is too much of a product of his time.
If anything he's more relevant than ever. There's probably no way mankind is getting out of this century alive thanks to our ignorance.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I believe we will, my friend. Though the Earth will not be the same, we will still be around, whether as part of a new Heaven and a new Earth... or just ordinary old Earth that managed to clean up its act and endure that long.

That said, I do agree; Hedorah would be seen quite relevantly. He's probably be focused a lot more on greenhouse gasses (or, if part of the Legendary series, be made of plastic straws), but I don't see this era as less conscious of pollution- just focused on a different kind.

I was just thinking in regards to this film- I've been doing some fan-edits lately, and I almost wonder for this film if it might be worth tackling a project to excise the more bizarre elements. Not to replace the film or the director's vision, but as an experiment- to see if, without the random collages and strange cutaways and dancing skeletons, played more straight as a kaiju movie while skipping the psychedelic bits, it might be more highly regarded by the set of fandom that finds it unenjoyable. To see if those elements of randomness are the barrier to entry, or if its something deeper and more intrinsic.

Who knows; I might tackle this sometime next year...
Last edited by Zarm on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Rhedosaurus wrote:That being said, I can't help but wonder if Hedorah himself is too much of a product of his time. I want to see him come back, but I'm not sure how can be done. He might work if he's changed into being something else, but I'm not sure if that would fly with most of the fanbase.
Considering pollution is more of an issue now than ever, Hedorah is completely relevant.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote: That being said, I can't help but wonder if Hedorah himself is too much of a product of his time.
If anything he's more relevant than ever. There's probably no way mankind is getting out of this century alive thanks to our ignorance.
Godzillian wrote:Considering pollution is more of an issue now than ever, Hedorah is completely relevant.

Pollution should, but it isn't. The sad truth is that the global warming craze has absorbed the environmental movement as a collective whole. Just look at how nobody covers the accelerated wiping out of elephants and rhinos, nowadays. And let's not forget how nobody talks about the rapid deforestation of the Amazon or the rain forests of the Asian islands.

Hard to say that something is an issue when so few people care about it.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Considering pollution is more of an issue now than ever, Hedorah is completely relevant.

Pollution should, but it isn't. The sad truth is that the global warming craze has absorbed the environmental movement as a collective whole. Just look at how nobody covers the accelerated wiping out of elephants and rhinos, nowadays. And let's not forget how nobody talks about the rapid deforestation of the Amazon or the rain forests of the Asian islands.

An issue isnt relevant because no one talks about it" lol nice. It doesnt matter if its covered or not, that doesnt change that it's a real and still relevant issue

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Godzillian wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

An issue isnt relevant because no one talks about it" lol nice. It doesnt matter if its covered or not, that doesnt change that it's a real and still relevant issue
Not in our society. With so many people being addicted to their cell phones, and thus petty issues (celebrities, scandals, texting to their 5th cousin that they never knew) too many people just don't care about things like that anymore. And need I point out how materialistic so much of society has been nowadays?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Not in our society. With so many people being addicted to their cell phones, and thus petty issues (celebrities, scandals, texting to their 5th cousin that they never knew) too many people just don't care about things like that anymore. And need I point out how materialistic so much of society has been nowadays?
Think I got your dial tone
Think I got Billy Baxter's bone
Think I got a bubble-sac
I think I got a big mac attack

Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce
Special orders don't upset us
All we ask is that you let us
Serve it your way
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Ugh...

Whip it?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:Ugh...

Whip it?
Too Much Paranoias, I song I'd rank several spots above Whip It in Devo's oeuvre.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:

Whip it?
Too Much Paranoias, I song I'd rank several spots above Whip It in Devo's oeuvre.
Oh No...I was just trying to make a Devo reference...

And I'm a "Working in a Coal Mine" & "Girl U Want" guy myself.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Whip it?
Oh No...I was just trying to make a Devo reference...

And I'm a "Working in a Coal Mine" & "Girl U Want" guy myself.
Ah, gotcha.

"Girl U Want" may very well be my favorite Devo song.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:Ah, gotcha.

"Girl U Want" may very well be my favorite Devo song.
Noice...

We should be friends.

:thumbsup: