The Illustrated encyclopedia of Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
jayson
Samurai

Re: The Illustrated encyclopedia of Godzilla

Post by jayson »

Wow, I had no idea the print run on this book was so low. A shame really because it's a pretty decent book.

As for selling it? Probably gonna hold onto it :P

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

jayson wrote:Wow, I had no idea the print run on this book was so low. A shame really because it's a pretty decent book.

Ya its very rare. Enjoy it!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

jayson wrote:Wow, I had no idea the print run on this book was so low. A shame really because it's a pretty decent book.

Do you think you could scan the book's pages or transcribe its texts whenever possible? Since the book is so rare, it should be documented thoroughly.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I would love to get a copy of this book!
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Gerdzerl wrote:Since the book is so rare, it should be documented thoroughly.
As it turns out, every single page of this invaluable book has been documented thoroughly in print. It's just that the print run of said documentation is very low.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

G1985 wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:Since the book is so rare, it should be documented thoroughly.
As it turns out, every single page of this invaluable book has been documented thoroughly in print. It's just that the print run of said documentation is very low.
Well, yeah, but I meant making viewing those pages more widely and easily accessible to the fanbase online. From what I've heard about it, the book contains a lot of rare info. If that's the case, it would be good for providing citations to said rare info, since not everyone owns that book. Stuff spreads a lot faster online then it does through book copies.

Sorry for any confusion, I should've clarified.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ed is never going to republish this book so someone putting out a PDF of it would be highly appreciated.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Christ almighty this just sold for $910 on eBay. I’ve never seen it get that high.
SpaceG92 wrote:

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

UltramanGoji wrote:Ed is never going to republish this book so someone putting out a PDF of it would be highly appreciated.
Why don't you ask Ed to put up a PDF of it, otherwise what you are really asking is for people to steal his copyrighted material and his many many hours of labor.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Is this book even worth having anymore? I doubt a lot of its information can't be found someplace else/has a lot of outdated and incorrect stuff in it

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzillian wrote:Is this book even worth having anymore? I doubt a lot of its information can't be found someplace else/has a lot of outdated and incorrect stuff in it
The text is very dated and honestly obsolete now but some of the images haven’t been reprinted in the U.S. However, they’re reproduced in the book in pretty low resolution, so I’m not sure that’s much of a reason to track it down. I think this book’s value is largely determined by its reputation circa 1998 as well as its rarity.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

Godzillian wrote:Is this book even worth having anymore? ...has a lot of outdated and incorrect stuff in it
Examples?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

crowzilla wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Is this book even worth having anymore? ...has a lot of outdated and incorrect stuff in it
Examples?
Examples of outdated and incorrect info that used to be huge in the fandom were
-the Godzilla vs the Devil unmade film
-Tanka's statements to the director of Godzilla vs Hedorah
-the Baragon vs Mechagodzilla myth
not to mention lots of various behind the scenes stuff

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

At this point it's a collector's item. I think what sets it apart from a lot of other English Godzilla books is the pictures. Most major English books dont have pics (Mon-Star, Age of the Gods, Monsters are attacking Tokyo). But that is of course why it got pulled. I can't speak on the accuracy of the book but Ed G is my favorite Godzilla writer and I'm 100% sure at the time he was working with correct info
SpaceG92 wrote:

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Terasawa wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Is this book even worth having anymore? I doubt a lot of its information can't be found someplace else/has a lot of outdated and incorrect stuff in it
The text is very dated and honestly obsolete now but some of the images haven’t been reprinted in the U.S. However, they’re reproduced in the book in pretty low resolution, so I’m not sure that’s much of a reason to track it down. I think this book’s value is largely determined by its reputation circa 1998 as well as its rarity.
I think it'd be worth tracking down for preservation purposes, like transcripting the texts and scanning its pages and such. It deserves to be archived and made easily available for future generations.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

Godzillian wrote: Examples of outdated and incorrect info that used to be huge in the fandom were
The only mention of Godzilla vs. the Devil is on page 168 - "The first of these to filter into the rumor mill went under the title Godzilla vs. The Devil", which is totally correct, unless you are suggesting no rumor of this film was ever mentioned anywhere in the 70s.

There is no statement that Tanaka made to the director of Godzilla vs. Hedorah either in the Tanaka section (pgs 87-88), or in the Nakano section (pg 90), and I see no section on director Banno. If it is elsewhere, I don't see it.

Likewise for the Baragon vs. Mechagodzilla myth (which is a new one to me), I see no mention of it in unmade projects and am not sure where else to look (unless it is under the toy section for battles you can create at home).

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

crowzilla wrote:
Godzillian wrote: Examples of outdated and incorrect info that used to be huge in the fandom were
The only mention of Godzilla vs. the Devil is on page 168 - "The first of these to filter into the rumor mill went under the title Godzilla vs. The Devil", which is totally correct, unless you are suggesting no rumor of this film was ever mentioned anywhere in the 70s.

There is no statement that Tanaka made to the director of Godzilla vs. Hedorah either in the Tanaka section (pgs 87-88), or in the Nakano section (pg 90), and I see no section on director Banno. If it is elsewhere, I don't see it.

Likewise for the Baragon vs. Mechagodzilla myth (which is a new one to me), I see no mention of it in unmade projects and am not sure where else to look (unless it is under the toy section for battles you can create at home).
Idk what you want dude? You asked for examples of out of date info in think could be in the book and are correcting me? Why even ask for examples if you have it and can attest by it?

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

Godzillian wrote: Idk what you want dude? You asked for examples of out of date info in think could be in the book and are correcting me? Why even ask for examples if you have it and can attest by it?
When you make a post saying that something has a lot of outdated and incorrect info you should be prepared to give examples of something that is actually in the book, not an example of: fandom used to think there was a Baragon vs. Mechagodzilla movie, I bet this book treats that as fact, or maybe it mentions the two different endings of King Kong vs. Godzilla.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

crowzilla wrote:
Godzillian wrote: Idk what you want dude? You asked for examples of out of date info in think could be in the book and are correcting me? Why even ask for examples if you have it and can attest by it?
When you make a post saying that something has a lot of outdated and incorrect info you should be prepared to give examples of something that is actually in the book, not an example of: fandom used to think there was a Baragon vs. Mechagodzilla movie, I bet this book treats that as fact, or maybe it mentions the two different endings of King Kong vs. Godzilla.
I still stand by that this Is an out of date book. Are you going to tell us it's not? You seem to have it yet aren't giving a straight answer.

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

Godzillian wrote: I still stand by that this Is an out of date book. Are you going to tell us it's not? You seem to have it yet aren't giving a straight answer.
Does it have color photos? no.
Is it an out of date book? no
Still has a ton of information you don't get in most places, has it all together, and is still the most comprehensive (English language) book on the subject.