Your fears for The World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Your fears for The World of Godzilla

Post by Godzillian »

GojiDude95 wrote:I'm hoping they don't follow the millennium series and make a bunch of one shots with the 54 film being the setup. Seriously how many sequels are there for Gojira?
It's been confirmed for a while that's not what they are doing since WOG was announced by Toho

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Godzillian wrote:
GojiDude95 wrote:I'm hoping they don't follow the millennium series and make a bunch of one shots with the 54 film being the setup. Seriously how many sequels are there for Gojira?
It's been confirmed for a while that's not what they are doing since WOG was announced by Toho
Oh, then I must've missed this information. Thank the lord! :)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I hope whatever continuity they establish isn't maintained for too long. A few connected movies could be cool, but after awhile it'll become tiresome and limiting.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

eabaker wrote:I hope whatever continuity they establish isn't maintained for too long. A few connected movies could be cool, but after awhile it'll become tiresome and limiting.
didn't stop them in the Showa era

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:
eabaker wrote:I hope whatever continuity they establish isn't maintained for too long. A few connected movies could be cool, but after awhile it'll become tiresome and limiting.
didn't stop them in the Showa era
Those movies were more than happy to toss continuity aside in the interest of story, though.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

But at the same time, a truly connected universe would be a first for Godzilla. Yes we had the Heisei era but not much came out of those movies being connected. Having characters pop up across multiple films is something I'd be interested in. And that goes for human and monster characters. The MCU has allowed for some truly great character building since we get to see these characters across many different films, and we've gotten some truly great pay off in films like Civil War. The ending sequence in Siberia is incredibly emotional and effective but that's only because we've come to learn and love the characters involved. Civil War as a story wouldn't work if we hadn't spent the previous eight years with that world and those characters. The prospect of something like that for Godzilla is very exciting.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GalacticPetey wrote:
But at the same time, a truly connected universe would be a first for Godzilla. Yes we had the Heisei era but not much came out of those movies being connected. Having characters pop up across multiple films is something I'd be interested in. And that goes for human and monster characters. The MCU has allowed for some truly great character building since we get to see these characters across many different films, and we've gotten some truly great pay off in films like Civil War. The ending sequence in Siberia is incredibly emotional and effective but that's only because we've come to learn and love the characters involved. Civil War as a story wouldn't work if we hadn't spent the previous eight years with that world and those characters. The prospect of something like that for Godzilla is very exciting.
Are you suggesting a series of Godzilla/kaiju movies that would be as focused on its human characters as the MCU is on its leads?

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

eabaker wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:
Are you suggesting a series of Godzilla/kaiju movies that would be as focused on its human characters as the MCU is on its leads?
I was using it as an example of the kind of story telling you can do when you're invested in characters and the world. It's true I would like a few more character driven and focused kaiju films. Since the Showa era these films have been light on truly engaging characters. There are few villains and side charcaters who stand out, but no one as fascinating as the likes of Serizawa for example.

And ideally the monsters themselves would be characters as well. Obviously the wouldn't emote or interact the way Steve Rogers and Tony Stark would, but they should have character to them. Like having Godzilla possibly start as a villain and shift more into a late Heisei / early-mid Showa personality would be interesting. Obviously not a 70s good guy Godzilla, but I think developing the relationship between Godzilla and humanity is something that could be very interesting.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

My worst fear has already come to pass: that they'll count their chickens before they hatch and announce a "cinematic universe" (I'm really starting to hate that term), when the proven best way to do one is to start with a movie that has no pretense whatsoever of belonging to a larger timeline, letting it be its own thing, and working your way up from there. The way it's going, it might very well end up being like the obnoxiously self-assured "Dark Universe", which we all saw crash and burn for making the same mistake. But is that stopping Universal from trying yet again? Nah.

On that note, if Toho repeatedly tries and fails to produce a movie that clicks enough with audiences to warrant a universe, and it leaves us with a string of mediocre movies with no narrative ties to one another, it could end up superficially resembling the Millennium era (I don't mean that as a knock against that era), and I don't want a tragically comical outcome like that.
Last edited by Jatahaxe on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsters are the real people.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

As a response to all of those people who actually liked things such as tail lasers or lost souls, may I remind you that different for the sake of being different does not equal quality as stated by the omni viewer on YouTube. Many people seem to be on a bandwagon that states that “As long as it looks and acts like Godzilla, everything’s okay!”.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:As a response to all of those people who actually liked things such as tail lasers or lost souls, may I remind you that different for the sake of being different does not equal quality as stated by the omni viewer on YouTube. Many people seem to be on a bandwagon that states that “As long as it looks and acts like Godzilla, everything’s okay!”.
Sure, but the tail laserzzz and lost souls ideas worked for their stories, which were pretty high quality stories. I mean, GMK Godzilla was pretty much switchable with any other Godzilla; and Shin was just wandering around like early Showa Godzilla.

My biggest fear for this new universe is that the stories will be crap or afterthoughts, by focusing on the stories then they can focus on how to fit the monsters into them.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:As a response to all of those people who actually liked things such as tail lasers or lost souls, may I remind you that different for the sake of being different does not equal quality as stated by the omni viewer on YouTube. Many people seem to be on a bandwagon that states that “As long as it looks and acts like Godzilla, everything’s okay!”.
Sure, but the tail laserzzz and lost souls ideas worked for their stories, which were pretty high quality stories. I mean, GMK Godzilla was pretty much switchable with any other Godzilla; and Shin was just wandering around like early Showa Godzilla.

My biggest fear for this new universe is that the stories will be crap or afterthoughts, by focusing on the stories then they can focus on how to fit the monsters into them.
Did Gino not having nuclear fire breath work for the story?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:

Did Gino not having nuclear fire breath work for the story?
What I meant was them still keeping the basics of Godzilla, and going from there. Same with the other kaiju. G'98 had waaayyyyyy more problems than how Godzilla was portrayed.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Would you be fine with King Kong being re-imagined as a snow leopard instead of a giant ape? Would it work as long if it fits the context of the story?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

LegendZilla wrote:^Would you be fine with King Kong being re-imagined as a snow leopard instead of a giant ape? Would it work as long if it fits the context of the story?
You're grasping at straws and making huge analogies that wouldn't happen. King Kong being a snow leopard? I mean really dude.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LegendZilla wrote:^Would you be fine with King Kong being re-imagined as a snow leopard instead of a giant ape? Would it work as long if it fits the context of the story?
What in the fuck are you talking about
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Maritonic wrote:
What in the skreeonk are you talking about
I'm legitimately perplexed, I-I-I just don't know man. I mean I get what he's trying to say, I think, but the way he presents his argument just doesn't work.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I'm legitimately perplexed, I-I-I just don't know man. I mean I get what he's trying to say, I think, but the way he presents his argument just doesn't work.
It’s a reference to the omni viewer’s videos on YouTube when he critiqued the anime Godzilla films. Here’s one example.

Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I'm kinda worried that all the movies will have the same feel and tone, even though these movies will be connected I still want each of them to have their own identity. But Toho seems totally cool with letting directors do whatever they want now so that probably won't be an issue.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
It’s a reference to the omni viewer’s videos on YouTube when he critiqued the anime Godzilla films. Here’s one example.]
It's a reference, so you agree with him. Yeah, I barely watch that guy, he's just another whiny Godzilla youtube channel. I only watch Godziller yt channels like Wikizilla or Vrahno. I did watch one of omni's recent videos where he made some stupid analogy about a meteor or something in relation to one of his "points" against the anime...... I just gave up after that.