Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Post by GojiDog »

One of my favorite things about this movie is that I can be a jerk to Marvel fans.

"Marvel did the shared universe thing first!"

And then I can be like "ACTUALLY, Toho did it decades ago with their monsters. Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra were their three biggest mon-stars. Mothra Vs. Godzilla was their first crossover, and then Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster was like their Avengers".

And heck Toho weren't even the first ones to do it. The Universal Monsters of the 30s and 40s did it with Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman and then the House of Dracula and House of Frankenstein monster mashes.

And for a more recent example, lest we forget Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse with Jay and Silent Bob being the glue that held all those movies together.

For some reason it ticks off Marvel fans when I point this out. I don't know why it does (it doesn't really matter who did it first and Marvel owns the cinematic world right now, so whatever), but I like to needle them and troll them just a bit, lol.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

If I had a dollar for every time someone brought up Marvel/MCU/DCU in a non-related thread I could afford every single X-Plus release.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

This is one of the very few films in the series where I really think I prefer the American cut. The original is a pretty lively film as it is, but the US version does a little scene-re-positioning to really bring it together.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:This is one of the very few films in the series where I really think I prefer the American cut. The original is a pretty lively film as it is, but the US version does a little scene-re-positioning to really bring it together.
I just re-watched the US cut on Saturday night. As I've mentioned in this thread previously, I definitely prefer the way that the final human fight sequence and the final kaiju fight sequence are intercut in that version. However, in some earlier parts of the movie the re-shuffling feels a little disjointed, and the altered music cues really don't do much for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The scene editing of the American cut towards the end is a little neater than the original. However, I find both versions to be satisfactory.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Considering this movie has the monster line up for Legendary's King of The Monsters this movie was prime for a rewatch this weekend.

Such an awesome movie. I particularly like when it delves into the conversation between Mothra, Rodan and Godzilla most notably the line about Godzilla considering the humans to be the bullies. Just adds something to Godzilla and marks a part of the franchise where he became more of a character and not just a monster.

Even though the scene could be considered exposition there isn't many other ways to translate monster roars other than the faeries interpreting their language.

I noticed Godzilla cops it in the dick more twice in this movie. Once when Rosan drops him on the powerline and another when Ghidorah blasts him in the groin with his lightning. Ouch! That's probably the worst he ever had it.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Am I the only one who thought Shindo totally wanted to smash Selno towards the end?
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Am I the only one who thought Shindo totally wanted to smash Selno at the end?
You're not alone.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Am I the only one who thought Shindo totally wanted to smash Selno at the end?
You're not alone.
Weird. I always just figured he wanted to fuck her.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
You're not alone.
Weird. I always just figured he wanted to skreeonk her.
You’re all wrong. He wanted to have sex with her.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: You're not alone.
Well played, Canadian.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Just how far do you think Naoko would go for a scoop?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Just how far do you think Naoko would go for a scoop?
Not as far as you're implying with the prophet

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Godzillian wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Just how far do you think Naoko would go for a scoop?
Not as far as you're implying with the prophet
I wasn’t implying with the prophet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
She seemed real friendly towards Professor Meri
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: You're not alone.
He was going to make sweet sweet love to her.

While Godzilla and Rodan watched.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

I’m not saying Selno would have let him tap it, I’m just saying Shindo looked at her a lil too endearingly towards the end, and he def drank himself to death later on for not saying something.
#slatternking

Anguirus'BiggestFan
Ronin

Post by Anguirus'BiggestFan »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I’m not saying Selno would have let him tap it, I’m just saying Shindo looked at her a lil too endearingly towards the end, and he def drank himself to death later on for not saying something.
I was thinking the same thing...
...but I think he asked to be put in a coffin filled with liquor after he died.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Okay...so to me this one is equal parts goofy & weird while also being important & legacy
defining.

I mean it is filled with many, MANY important moments for the franchise as a whole...but
the film itself feels uneven & silly.

I mean its better than Godzilla vs. Monster Zero...but still...its never really clicked for me.

The "Hollywood remake" should be interesting.
Last edited by Grievous on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Anyone smarter than me know why they (officially) switched the rainbow design to gold?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:Anyone smarter than me know why they (officially) switched the rainbow design to gold?
Ghidorah decided to stay in the closet?

:P
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!